Sunday Yankees vs Whitesox 7/16/06 Gamethread

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
87 mph fastballs wont scare em. Freddy needs to get the ball DOWN, and keep it down

all our starters are high and in the outer half of the plate. Even an 85 MPH high inside pitch will give you more to think about.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
Hawk and DJ keep talking about how Garcia has lost velocity on his fastball but they have yet to say why.

I thought I heard somewhere it was a concious decision. It's possible the WBC had an effect, but that would have worn off by now.

I just want him traded.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
I'd still take Contreras, as at least he can get a K once he has 2 strikes.

As bad as this sounds,if the playoffs started next week, I'd go Contreras, Garland, MCCarthy, and stick with that. That's how poor our starting staff has been lately

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
I can't believe Mack's defense in center.

I can, you can't put an IF/Corner OF in CF and expect him to play acceptable defense. Once again it's about putting your players in the best position to be successful and Ozzie is not doing that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
I can, you can't put an IF/Corner OF in CF and expect him to play acceptable defense. Once again it's about putting your players in the best position to be successful and Ozzie is not doing that.

He may be out of position, but he misses the simplest things.

Corner outfielders have to catch flyballs too, you know, and one hit right at him that gets behind him? That's miserable.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
I thought I heard somewhere it was a concious decision. It's possible the WBC had an effect, but that would have worn off by now.

I just want him traded.

If he really can still throw 94-95 and is just doing what he's doing because he thinks it works better, its time management steps in and shows him some numbers. I heard that once, but I really doubt its true. I think if he did have the ability to throw harder he would.

I just want him traded.

Yeah, we've heard that a few times in some published reports but I'm not so sure I believe it. I would greatly appreciate the insight of the Sox' TV announcers but they refuse to give any.

I just want him traded.

Longer season, then the WBC, then Spring training, right into the season. His arm is probably extremely dead right now. He is most definitely hurting the team with his loss of velocity though, and it needs to be addressed either through a long stint on the DL to rest with McCarthy taking his place, or a trade.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
He may be out of position, but he misses the simplest things.

Corner outfielders have to catch flyballs too, you know, and one hit right at him that gets behind him? That's miserable.

The ball is comming at you at a completely different angle in CF, especially the ones hit right at you. I would never stick Cintron in CF and expect him to be able to catch a linedrive hit right at him. You need to have had some experience at the position in order to catch a ball like that.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
If he really can still throw 94-95 and is just doing what he's doing because he thinks it works better, its time management steps in and shows him some numbers. I heard that once, but I really doubt its true. I think if he did have the ability to throw harder he would.

In one start this year I saw him clocked into the low 90s and as hard as 93-94 and than in another start that I was at in person I also saw him in the low 90's. He quickly stopped though as he struggled, took off some speed and pitched better and than I remember him commenting for the umteenth time that he wanted to focus on his offspeed stuff.