Keepin' that Motown Mojo = Sox @ Tigers

Heads22

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
I really don't think thats it. I used to think it was the case but I saw enough reaction out of him to show that he does care. I have called the guy a "sissy" quite often and have went with the idea that he's scared on the mound at times.

But really what he does is he gets overly eager and tries to over-throw. This works badly because he doesn't have the leg kick so his arm gets out of whack with his body and resulting to hanging the ball. Plus when he's overthrowing a breaking ball as is (even when he has his high leg kick which naturally keeps his arm more in check) he's going to roll it over because when you throw it too good (as Hersh mentioned on the telecast) you end up getting it to hang cause the ball doesn't get the desired spin.

He cares too much, Jas. He gets too down on himself when he makes one bad pitch(in this case the pudge rolling curve is what got it going) and that just leads to a big inning. It's happened a ton this season.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Ok kid, spill the beans. Fess up there Jason.

I don't think we are going to get an offer, but there is a lot of truth to the rumors with the Mets. I think Kenny hopes the Mets have some troubles out of the rotation and Freddy has a decent start and you'll see em panic. Overall I don't think anything is made, but unless this one start really changes the minds of the Sox, they aren't about to deal Vazquez (unless they get blown away).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
BTW, anyone notice that if we lose tonight, Twins will be 5 games behind us. That's very scary.

hell yea, esp. because our last series of the season is against them and we all know how gardenhire loves to make sure santana is facing us. now throw in liriano.haha remember santana was supposed to pitch the game befor they faced us?but they held him back because he had some blister problems or something the start be4 :rolly

>the twins know that there basically are getting guaranteed wins with liriano and santana

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
Iguchi's not playing today. The Sox seem concerned that his ankle hasn't healed quickly from his collision over two weeks ago.

Apparently there is still some lingering soreness. Might as well be careful. I'm not a major fan of Cintron's approach at the plate (its pretty Uribe-esque yet he doesn't have near Uribe's raw talent) but he's had some big hits on the year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
He cares too much, Jas. He gets too down on himself when he makes one bad pitch(in this case the pudge rolling curve is what got it going) and that just leads to a big inning. It's happened a ton this season.

Hawk and DJ constantly praise the competitiveness of Vazquez, although neither of them seem to care for how he approaches hitters.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
s***ting yourself at the hint of a pressure situation doesn't bode well for the playoffs...

s***ting no...his approach has to be fixed and I'm not saying its fixable but he gets mad and he overthrows. That tells me he cares and if Coop can get him to manage his feelings, take some breaths, relax and gather himself mechanically we'll see him start pitching through those type of jams.

I'd be more scared if he just stopped caring and gave up as opposed to overthrowing because he's mad about the hits that he gave up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
Hawk and DJ constantly praise the competitiveness of Vazquez, although neither of them seem to care for how he approaches hitters.

I think Coop going out pissed him off too. Nothing against Don it's just part of Javy's personality.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
I really don't think thats it. I used to think it was the case but I saw enough reaction out of him to show that he does care. I have called the guy a "sissy" quite often and have went with the idea that he's scared on the mound at times.

But really what he does is he gets overly eager and tries to over-throw. This works badly because he doesn't have the leg kick so his arm gets out of whack with his body and resulting to hanging the ball. Plus when he's overthrowing a breaking ball as is (even when he has his high leg kick which naturally keeps his arm more in check) he's going to roll it over because when you throw it too good (as Hersh mentioned on the telecast) you end up getting it to hang cause the ball doesn't get the desired spin.

Very nice explanation of how his brain imploding results in 'the big inning'. Despite the number of times this has happened to him, it should be fixable. They are called sports psychologists.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
:rolly

Why shouldn't we be concerned Minnesota has crept within five games of us? Facing Liriano and Santana six times of the remaining twelve games should concern everyone, especially.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)

I'm totally with you and I kind of briefly mentioned what it does to him mechanically. But I really think with proper coaching and some pointers (maybe get him to step off the mound and go through a set mental routine when he gets into these type of ruts...that remind him what to do mechanically and just get him to overal calm down and regain his composure) he'll be able to get past it.

But Its easier to fix a guy that cares too much than a guy that doesn't care at all. Just like its easier to fix a guy with great stuff than a guy with no stuff. Javy has both and after slamming him a whole lot I'm starting to get really confident about him.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
Why shouldn't we be concerned Minnesota has crept within five games of us? Facing Liriano and Santana six times of the remaining twelve games should concern everyone, especially.

I think he was doing the rolly eyes at the Widger stuff, not the Twins stuff.