sox in run for soriano

beleiveinbrian44

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although our top of the order has been silent as of late, I thought pitching was our priority. If this deal is done we would have to have another deal in the works for some relief. I don't see it happening...

QUOTE(beleiveinbrian44 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
pods would go bye bye as in where????

IMO he would either go to Washington as part of the package (unlikely) or be moved for relief help. I don't see much of a use for him if the Sox were to acquire Soriano.

Just throwing this out there, and not suggesting that this happen, but i think that the only way we would get soriano is a package of BMac, Pods, Josh Fields and/or Ryan Sweeney. I think Bowden would ask for at least that. With fields i think even though they have Zimmerman already that they could just move him to a different position now or in the future.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
Actually Podsednik would go bye bye, Brian would stay right where he is.

Well, that's not what it says in the article, but that would be the better scenario. Still hate to lose give up Brandon.

And how much does that guy make anyway?

Edited by Leonard Zelig

This doesn't exactly excite me. He's having a good season, but he's very expensive (money and talent) and is a pending FA. Plus he's not really a defensive upgrade. That career .325 OBP also worries me, although somehow he's already reached his career high in walks this year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5806646?FSO1&ATT=HMA

"Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

Posted: 3 minutes ago

The White Sox are interested in Nationals left fielder Alfonso Soriano, FOXSports.com has learned.

But what is their intent?

While Soriano would represent an upgrade over White Sox left fielder Scott Podsednik, the Sox's far greater need is an impact setup man.

What's more, Soriano is a free agent at the end of the season, and Sox officials have adamantly denied that they would trade top prospects for a two-month rental.

The true motive for White Sox G.M. Ken Williams might be drive up the price for the Tigers, who lead the Sox in the A.L. Central by 61/2 games.

Or, Williams might want to acquire Soriano as part of a three-way deal that would bring his team a reliever while keeping Soriano away from the Tigers.

Could Alfonso Soriano be rounding the bases for the White Sox? (Keith Srakocic / Associated Press)

The Mariners continue to discuss Soriano with the Nationals, and the Angels and Yankees remain possible darkhorses as they wait for the Nationals' price to drop.

The Nationals, seeking a center fielder, likely want White Sox rookie Brian Anderson. But the Sox, who sent center-field prospect Chris Young to the Diamondbacks in the Javier Vazquez trade, aren't interested in moving Anderson.

Adding Soriano to the majors' highest-scoring offense would seem like overkill, but the lack of quality pitching on the trade market is forcing teams to ponder creative solutions.

The White Sox's pursuit of Soriano might be just that.

Or it might be a strategic smokescreen and nothing more."

It would be amazing if we got this guy. Get it done Kenny!!!

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 12:32 AM)
Well, that's not what it says in the article, but that would be the better scenario. Still hate to lose give up Brandon.

There ain't a chance in hell Ozzie would allow for his outfield defense to become that dangerously pathetic, it's a Whitesox.com article, I'd hardly believe much that's written in anything being put out by MLB.com. I really don't see any scenerio in which Brian Anderson is traded this year or in the anytime in the immediate future for that matter. I really think the organization is down on Scott Podsednik right now, he's become a liability on the field and isn't producing the way they expect the table setter to, Soriano would be a HUGE upgrade over Podsednik and I really think that's the way KW sees it.

Alfonso Soriano makes $10M this year, prorate that for the last 2 months of the season and he'd make approximately $3.33M if traded.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
There ain't a chance in hell Ozzie would allow for his outfield defense to become that dangerously pathetic, it's a Whitesox.com article, I'd hardly believe much that's written in anything being put out by MLB.com. I really don't see any scenerio in which Brian Anderson is traded this year or in the anytime in the immediate future for that matter. I really think the organization is down on Scott Podsednik right now, he's become a liability on the field and isn't producing the way they expect the table setter to, Soriano would be a HUGE upgrade over Podsednik and I really think that's the way KW sees it.

Alfonso Soriano makes $10M this year, prorate that for the last 2 months of the season and he'd make approximately $3.33M if traded.

For the Nats Pods being in the deal makes sense. He is under control for a while. You package that with Broadway and another pitcher and that wouldnt be a bad deal for the Nats.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
For the Nats Pods being in the deal makes sense. He is under control for a while. You package that with Broadway and another pitcher and that wouldnt be a bad deal for the Nats.

Broadway is my favorite sox prospect but id prefer him go over brandon. Brandon is too valuble and hes already proved himself. If we could swing this into a 3 team deal that would be nice.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:13 AM)
Broadway is my favorite sox prospect but id prefer him go over brandon. Brandon is too valuble and hes already proved himself. If we could swing this into a 3 team deal that would be nice.

Lance isn't in the same league as Brandon. I really hope we don't trade Mac in a deal for Soriano, hopefully we're just driving up the price for the Tigers.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:14 AM)
Lance isn't in the same league as Brandon. I really hope we don't trade Mac in a deal for Soriano, hopefully we're just driving up the price for the Tigers.

I don't see any conceivable way that KW trades good major league pitching for more hitting. I think Brandon is safe.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:47 AM)

Pods isn't Jim Bowden's type of player. If this deal involves McCarthy, I want nothing to do with it. Soriano will be too expensive to keep around next year.

The only way I want BA involved is if Ryan Church is coming back the other way in the deal.

And I do not want to trade B-Mac for a 2 month rental (the only way I would trade for Soriano was if you could get him locked up to a long - term deal, and even that is a big risk in itself).

Would the Nats be interested in Fields, even though they have Ryan Zimmerman at 3B? They could always move him to LF I suppose. And prospects like Lucas Harrell and Lance Broadway would probably interest Bowden I would say.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
I don't want Soriano, we need pitching. If we could spin vazquez or garcia for Gordon or for sanchez/heilman that would be great. It would be even better if we could also get a guy like Phillip Humber from NY.

Yeah Garcia for Heilman and Humber is the most realistic deal I've heard, and it's the one I most want to happen.

Hopefully it goes down. :D

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:29 AM)
I don't want Soriano, we need pitching. If we could spin vazquez or garcia for Gordon or for sanchez/heilman that would be great. It would be even better if we could also get a guy like Phillip Humber from NY.

That is overpayment for Gordon and Sanchez/Heilman are not on the market. Most of the pitching that is out there, teams are demanding a king's ransom and we aren't overpaying.

And honestly, if we really wanted Soriano, then it wouldn't be posted on Whitesox.com.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ