sox in run for soriano

beleiveinbrian44

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:12 PM)
Yes, they never wont the World Series. Also, a bullpen with no long relievers or guys used as long relief(unless the game goes to extra innings) doesn't change the fact that the SP are giving up 6 or 7 runs because of their "bad inning". I rather have Soriano and keep him if possible.

I understand the point you're making about coming back from 6 or 7 down with the guy, but doesn't putting one of the two guys in MLB in LF who's actually worse than Podsednik out there actually increase the likelihood of those gigantic innings?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sox picking up Alphonso and then trading him to Sea. should be off the table. Rafael Soriano has some arm problems. from Rotoworld:

"Rafael Soriano was unavailable for Sunday's game because his shoulder flared up again.

Manager Mike Hargrove wanted to keep it secret beforehand, but since he's always so predictable with his pitcher usage and Soriano wasn't involved in the wins on Saturday and Sunday, it was clear that something was wrong again. Hargrove was optimistic that Soriano would be available tomorrow. Jul. 23 - 9:29 pm et

Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer"

Yeah Soriano has always had great stuff but he's never been able to stay healthy.

I suppose it's just too much of a risk to acquire him, especially for the players you'd have to give up to do so.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
I understand the point you're making about coming back from 6 or 7 down with the guy, but doesn't putting one of the two guys in MLB in LF who's actually worse than Podsednik out there actually increase the likelihood of those gigantic innings?

He's better than Podsednik out there.

I never had a problem with Podsednik last year, and I couldn't stand the nay-sayers saying he was overrated.

...a year later I'm really starting to realize that they were right. He can't field, he can't throw, he can't hit over .300, he can't get an OBP over .350, and he can't steal like he used to.

Podsednik isn't horrible, but there are so many better options out there. I think I saw it here, but someone listed all the leadoff hitters in the major leagues...

The VAST majority were better than Scotty Podsednik.

Eric (Memphis)

Jerry, do the White Sox really have interest in Soriano, or are they just trying to drive the price up for the Tigers? If the Sox really do have interest, would the package center around Podsednik and prospects? Thanks!

JERRY CRASNICK

Eric,My take: This is a case of Jim Bowden running a lot of teams out there just to drive up the bidding frenzy for Soriano. And if there's a perception the White Sox are involved, that certainly forces Detroit to up the ante. I don't think the White Sox are very interested in Soriano.

I'd like to see us make a 3-way trade, just to keep Soriano away from Detroit. I keep telling myself the Tigers will collapse (Rogers hasn't pitched well in the 2nd half after these great 1st halves for 4 years, Todd Jones is terrible), remember everyone else was saying the Sox would collapse last year. their lineup is pretty good, and Soriano would make them downright scary, especially if they decide to pitch Zumaya in the 9th. there's no doubt we can still compete with them and make a serious run for the division either way, but that's less likely if they pick up Soriano.

Well this guy knows absolutely nothing more than we do.

This can pretty much be taken from Kenny's comments yesterday, where he said he "expected" news of the White Sox "interest" to "get out."

Who knows with Kenny though. Soriano could be in a White Sox unirform tomorrow night and I wouldn't be surprised.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
I read on si.com that the Nationals want Fields and Broadway for Soriano.

The key is who could the sox get from teams that want Soriano. Would they be better than Fields and Broadway, and help the sox win this yr and in the near future?

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
I'd like to see us make a 3-way trade, just to keep Soriano away from Detroit.

Kenny said the same thing on AM 1000 before sunday's game, that they could get a guy to keep him away from the competition and then move him for more than he's worth. He had to have been talking about Soriano.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
We get Soriano for this season, and then he walks. Fields and Broadway is a pretty steep price for a rental.

Jerry Crasnick in his chat this mornin' also said that the Nats were currently asking for 2-3 prospects in exchange for Soriano, but they'd probably wind up settling for one.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
We get Soriano for this season, and then he walks. Fields and Broadway is a pretty steep price for a rental.

Unless we had a window to see if we could agree to a contract extension. Soriano >>> Fields and Broadway if we can resign Soriano.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
Jerry Crasnick in his chat this mornin' also said that the Nats were currently asking for 2-3 prospects in exchange for Soriano, but they'd probably wind up settling for one.

can we trade for borchard and then ship him back out??

That is the only way you make a deal. I am all for trading prospects and "Winning Now" but giving up Fields and Broadway for two months might not be worth it,

Not only would you have him for 2 months, but you'd also keep him away from the team we trail, and the team's right behind us. I'd do Fields & Broadway in a heartbeat.

You know, it might be worth noting that the Nationals actually have very little need for a young 3rd baseman, since they already have a pretty good one of those. They might not want Fields...they'd have the same problem as us; no where to play him except the outfield, and since he's still not really seen playing time in LF, it'd be a while before he'd be ready to play anywhere for them.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
You know, it might be worth noting that the Nationals actually have very little need for a young 3rd baseman, since they already have a pretty good one of those. They might not want Fields...they'd have the same problem as us; no where to play him except the outfield, and since he's still not really seen playing time in LF, it'd be a while before he'd be ready to play anywhere for them.

And since when have you known Jim Bowden to not spin players to other teams? Bowden just wants the best prospects possible, and then he can figure out what to do with them from now until the beginning of next season.

If the sox did get Soriano, say for Fields and Broadway, which teams could they then trade Soriano to? LAD, STL, in the NL, Sea. in the AL. Which prospects could the sox get from LAD? Broxton [age 22] could help this yr and would form a lights out bullpen for yrs. Would LAD give up another big prospect for Soriano? Probably.

STL has few big pieces other than Wainwright and Reyes. Same w/ Sea outside of Rafael Soriano.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)

This isn't that bad of a move. Fields is a pretty darn good prospect and if they could get them to bite on Broadway too I'm sure we could use Soriano now or move him for something else. Plus if all goes wrong we keep him, offer him arb and get 2 first round picks (which is exactly what Fields and Broadway are).

Now obviously there is no guarantee of what happens with those picks, but its still some value and if we resign him we have him in LF and get one of the more productive leadoff hitters in the game.

take this for what it's worth...it's from the ESPN insider column.....

Sori to the South Side?

Jul 24 - A source told ESPN's Tim Kurkjian that a deal sending Alfonso Soriano to the White Sox is "extremely close."

The package is expected to include 23-year-old right-hander Brandon McCarthy. The White Sox would then reportedly fill McCarthy's spot in the bullpen by making a separate trade with the Royals for Mike MacDougal.

According to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, there were earlier rumblings that the Twins have involved in the Alfonso Soriano sweepstakes. Minnesota made a run at Soriano before last year's deadline.

Twins GM Terry Ryan couldn't be reached Friday. But one of his peers said: "Terry is a 'tools' guy, and Soriano is a 'tools' player. So if they're out there talking on him, that wouldn't surprise me at all."

The Tigers also remain in the thick of the race to acquire Soriano from the Nationals. But the two teams aren't close to completing a trade, according to a report in the Detroit News.

The paper reports that the Tigers turned down an offer that would've landed Soriano in Detroit. In the proposed deal, the Nationals asked for prospects Humberto Sanchez and Jair Jurrjens, both right-handed pitchers, and outfielder Cameron Maybin. The Nats, in turn, turned down a counteroffer from the Tigers.

The paper also reports that the Mariners' interest in Soriano has faded due to Washington GM Jim Bowden's high asking price, which included 20-year-old center fielder Adam Jones. Seattle promoted Jones to the big club after the All-Star break and he has been the M's starting center fielder ever since.

hmmm...again....take it for what it's worth.