White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
The one thing that makes me think this isn't going to happen is that I think Soriano overvalues his services. Accordingly, he's not going to sign a deal in the next few days at any level the Sox would offer. I mean, the Sox aren't going to give him Paul Konerko money. Yet I think that's what Soriano thinks he can command.

thinks he will command? He'll get Konerko money... maybe more

Edited by AbeFroman

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
Why bat Soriano leadoff? That's alot of wasted RBI action with the HR's and his power imho.... better to bat him second and have Iguchi, BA or Uribe in at #1... why waste his bat?

BA OR URIBE!??!?

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)

seriously, he's a young dude who went nuts and hit fifty home runs in a sad lineup.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I can't imagine that the market for soriano is so dry that he would resort to this deal

Depending on how much money we sent along, it might actually be that dry. Vazquez is still a potential #2 starter in the right spot (Taht ballpark might help him too)...if Detroit, Anaheim aren't giving up Sanchez, Santana...there's not much more ML ready talent being talked about.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
Soriano has 70 or someodd RBIs while batting leadoff for a NL team (pitcher ahead of him). I assume he feels most comfortable there. Keep him there.

Ya and dont you think he could be more valuable at the #2 position? With more people on base and Thome behind him..... I think he is under utilized at #1.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
seriously, he's a young dude who went nuts and hit fifty home runs in a sad lineup.

in a huge ball park, in the same season where he's got a great shot to be only the 4th 40/40 guy in the history of major league baseball.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Wow, sort of pissed I missed all the fun today.

The only, only, only way I do this deal is this.

1. The package would be Mac and Pods for Soriano and a guy like Tony Armas or a guy that can step in as a 4th or 5th starter if need be

2. A deal needs to be worked out in the next 24 hours for a long term contract.

Thats the only way I would want this to take place.

My thoughts exactly. Unless you're sure you can re-sign Soriano, you don't trade McCarthy. I don't think KW would give away McCarthy for a 2 month rental, as doing so would give us no leverage this offseason in trying to trade a starting pitcher. If you do this trade, Uncle Jerry better be ready to have a payroll in the 110 million range.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
in a huge ball park, in the same season where he's got a great shot to be only the 4th 40/40 guy in the history of major league baseball.

and he...uh...

yeah i can't top it off anymore.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)

He may, but we won't give it to him. I think KW's under some tight salary constraints, including how various contracts compare to each other within the team. Do you think they are going to pay a guy like Soriano more than the team captain? I don't. For the same reason, he wouldn't go any higher on Contreras.

If the trade price is low enough, we might make a deal with the hope of signing Soriano or getting draft picks if he walks. Then the hope would be that he likes the team well enough to give us a discount.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
He may, but we won't give it to him. I think KW's under some tight salary constraints, including how various contracts compare to each other within the team. Do you think they are going to pay a guy like Soriano more than the team captain? I don't. For the same reason, he wouldn't go any higher on Contreras.

If the trade price is low enough, we might make a deal with the hope of signing Soriano or getting draft picks if he walks. Then the hope would be that he likes the team well enough to give us a discount.

JR has continued to suprise us with our budget, however.

But, i do see what you mean now.

I, admittedly, would love this deal, if the participants that mac, jurko, and harry mentioned would truly be those men being shipped off. So i may be a bit starry eyed at being realistic right now.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)

I, admittedly, would love this deal, if the participants that mac, jurko, and harry mentioned would truly be those men being shipped off. So i may be a bit starry eyed at being realistic right now.

Who did those clowns say would be shipped out?

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
is there any chance of a vazquez/pods deal for soriano or am I just dreaming?

if kw eats alot of vazquezs salary and sends a good prospect like sweeney i would think so....maybe they are waiting til after vazquez's start to announce something like this

but all of those possibilities seem unlikely

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(BoKnows @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
doubt this is worth anything, but Harry on Mac Jurko & Harry said he just heard a report that a deal for Soriano for Pods and Vazauez was in the works.

unlikely, but if that's the deal, pull the trigger Kenny!

However unlikely, maybe this is why KW said BMac is part of our present and future. If we got rid of Vasquez, it would open the spot for McCarthy. I would say that someone like Broadway would be included in this trade. I don't see the Nats making this trade w/o a prospect involved in some way.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
hey fathom, i know your source said that the soriano jerseys were to be ordered earlier....does that assume that they are not now and the deal may be off?

Practically every rumor, including the one from ESPN that started this whole deal, was that McCarthy was the central piece of the deal for soriano. With six full days left to go before the deadline, this seems pretty logical. Most of the speculation here is that if KW says McCarthy's not going anyplace, the deal probably isn't going to happen.

As always, we're riding the ebb and flow of limited information we possess. So yes the deal is not absolutely dead.... but based on what we've heard all day, it seems like the Nats want McCarthy.

If there's nine hours left before the deadline, I'd feel like there is a chance we could nail the Nats on some hybrid deal not involving mccarthy... but that's not the case.

Edit DAA84: I really couldn't say it on the phone at the time.... also, vanderbilt sucks at the game of footbal

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)

The overall budget can go up, but I don't think a guy like Soriano would receive an offer from us that would make him the guy WE pay the most. (Remember, a big chunk of Thome's money is paid by the Phils, and Vazquez's deal is paid in part by the Yanks.)

That said, this is probably one additional reason why Bobby Abreu was likely never even on our radar. Philly wasn't going to pay his contract, and we wouldn't come close to making a guy like that our highest paid player.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
The one thing that makes me think this isn't going to happen is that I think Soriano overvalues his services. Accordingly, he's not going to sign a deal in the next few days at any level the Sox would offer. I mean, the Sox aren't going to give him Paul Konerko money. Yet I think that's what Soriano thinks he can command.

I think maybe you're undervaluing his services. He's going to get paid big by someone in the offseason, he's a great player. Not just good, or very good, great.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
Practically every rumor, including the one from ESPN that started this whole deal, was that McCarthy was the central piece of the deal for soriano. With six full days left to go before the deadline, this seems pretty logical. Most of the speculation here is that if KW says McCarthy's not going anyplace, the deal probably isn't going to happen.

As always, we're riding the ebb and flow of limited information we possess. So yes the deal is not absolutely dead.... but based on what we've heard all day, it seems like the Nats want McCarthy.

If there's nine hours left before the deadline, I'd feel like there is a chance we could nail the Nats on some hybrid deal not involving soriano... but that's not the case.

Edit DAA84: I really couldn't say it on the phone at the time.... also, vanderbilt sucks at the game of footbal

this may be getting to complicated, but williams could certainly deal vazquez to the mets or bosox for a guy like humber and another prospects, then ship humber and that prospect to the nats with someone like broadway or sweeney for soriano....washington gets some good prospects....sox keep mccarthy and put him in the rotation and get soriano, mets/other team gets their SP.....

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
I just received information that leads me to believe this deal was very close to happening, but the Sox backed out when they couldn't get Soriano to agree to not having a no-trade clause for his full contract extension. In no way is this information confirmed, but there were members of the Sox organization who were told to order Soriano Sox jerseys today.

About 10-12 years ago, just before he became totally dominant, the White Sox had a trade for Randy Johnson all but agreed upon. They had Johnson's jerseys hanging in the clubhouse, and the Mariners backed out at the last second.