White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
Jason ... why would the White Sox trade one of their starters?

They finally have the bullpen set up, and in McCarthy a very good insurance policy.

Pods and prospects makes sense but trading a starter goes against everything KW has talked about all season.

but not contrary to what we have heard in teh rumors....the fact is this....mccarthy in all probability will do an equal job to vazquez or garcia...the sox have enough off days the rest of the year to skip spots in the rotation where a 5th starter only really has to pitch like 3 times before rosters expand in sept.....the As are in first, so zito probably isnt goin anywhere, the giants are .5 out, so schmidt is staying, willis probably wont be dealt.....therefore the best names on the market are livan hernandez, rodrigo lopez and freddy/vazquez....a team like the mets will be willing to part with good prospects (most certainly not milledge or pelfrey, but probably humber etc) and those guys could be moved for soriano

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
maybe this soriano thing is the Griffey rumour of the year

The only difference is the Griffey thing wasn't a rumor. It was agreed upon.

I read an article that was printed right before the Detroit series. In it, KW was quoted as his only problem with the roster was 1 relief pitcher. He got MacDougal. I really believe he'll be fine with it if nothing else comes to pass.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
but not contrary to what we have heard in teh rumors....the fact is this....mccarthy in all probability will do an equal job to vazquez or garcia...the sox have enough off days the rest of the year to skip spots in the rotation where a 5th starter only really has to pitch like 3 times before rosters expand in sept.....the As are in first, so zito probably isnt goin anywhere, the giants are .5 out, so schmidt is staying, willis probably wont be dealt.....therefore the best names on the market are livan hernandez, rodrigo lopez and freddy/vazquez....a team like the mets will be willing to part with good prospects (most certainly not milledge or pelfrey, but probably humber etc) and those guys could be moved for soriano

The Sox have long said they aren't planning on skipping the 5th spot. They know there starters have been worked hard and they aren't about to put anymore work on them. As far as Brandon goes, no, I don't know that he could pitch better than Javy/Freddy because its will take Brandon about a month to get up to being able to throw 100 pitches so for a months time we risk having to go to the pen before the 5th inning which puts us in a bind for not only that game, but for future games as well.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
He has also never been in a lineup like Washington, with no protection in that lineup.....

Yeah, that can help the walks. But you'd think it'd hurt his power.

It is one hell of a season, I'll say that. But one season doesn't cut it. Esteban Loaiza is definitely not a "great" pitcher.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
The Sox have long said they aren't planning on skipping the 5th spot. They know there starters have been worked hard and they aren't about to put anymore work on them. As far as Brandon goes, no, I don't know that he could pitch better than Javy/Freddy because its will take Brandon about a month to get up to being able to throw 100 pitches so for a months time we risk having to go to the pen before the 5th inning which puts us in a bind for not only that game, but for future games as well.

i agree, but i was thinking about this....if KW wants to keep brandon so much, its certainly not to keep him in hte pen next year, so, as is agreed by just about everyone, a starter is gonna go this offseason..but what will they get for him? maybe they can get soriano right now....if we can supplant brandon for garcia/javy and soriano for pods thats a definite +....of course this is all speculation on my part, but i think its tangible and something that would improve the club

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
Yeah, that can help the walks. But you'd think it'd hurt his power.

It is one hell of a season, I'll say that. But one season doesn't cut it. Esteban Loaiza is definitely not a "great" pitcher.

hes not even a great drunk driver

I'm not saying they would...rather commenting on the Mac, Jurko rumor. I don't see us moving a starter from the major league level (and that includes Brandon) and I know the Sox feel very good about Javy.

I actually like our squad fine even if we don't make a deal, especially if MacDougal stays healthy.

Yes I agree with you.

The Soriano thing makes sense because it's an upgrade on Podsednik but we'll see if it comes to fruition.

I find it funny how so many people have "inside sources"...... The only people I believe are probably Steff/JimH who have proved to be kind of reliable when they talk to their "sources"

Actually there are several people on this site who have sources at some level or another.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)
I find it funny how so many people have "inside sources"...... The only people I believe are probably Steff/JimH who have proved to be kind of reliable when they talk to their "sources"

Congrats to you on that. I personally like hearing from anyone who has any sort of info they believe to be true.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
Congrats to you on that. I personally like hearing from anyone who has any sort of info they believe to be true.

I just find it funny when people say they have sources but than one person's source goes against someone elses....

I just find it funny when people say they have sources but than one person's source goes against someone elses....

Well if the source is not Jerry Reinsdorf or Kenny Williams personally ... lots of stuff can happen. Mostly these people relay what's being talked about. If it doesn't come to fruition that doesn't mean it wasn't actually discussed.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:18 PM)

I trust Fathom and Dick enough to where I don't think they would just make up stories about having sources if they really didn't.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)

I agree and from talking with many posters on this site I can tell you that there are a good variety of people that have some sort of sources. Obviously just because you have a source doesn't mean you'll know something all the time since sometimes your source may be closely involved with something other times they won't.

Either way I think one of the things that sets this site apart from others is that there are a lot of people who have a person in the "know" and I'm glad they are willing to share that sort of info.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)

I have quite a few sources that I can get a tidbit of information from once in a while. The one thing I can promise is that I'm being 100 pct honest in what I hear. If the information ends up being false, then there's nothing I can do about it. I think some people would be surprised about where the wrong information ends up coming from or what really happened behind the scenes. I know people have jumped all over me for saying Ozzie said that Tracey would never pitch for his team again. Who knows what really happened between the conversation he had with a minor league coach and last week.

ESPN was orginally reporting that Brandon McCarthy was involved - obviously, that turned out to wrong as Kenny Williams denied that McCarthy would be traded.

Saying that, I wonder if ESPN jumped on this story without having their facts straight, and all of the other news organizations, including our 2 local sports stations just jumped on the national story.

What say you ?