White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

I completely agree and I think this really is the beginning of the trade season. I'm also sure KW is already on the horn with other teams seeing what he could potentially spin Soriano off for (well maybe not on the horn, but putting out feelers and finding out what other teams offers are so he could see if maybe guys the Nats don't need are potential needs for the Sox) while at the same time he may have feelers out for Pods, who I know management has been frustrated with at times this year.

Yes.

Another thing to consider is I doubt the White Sox were the only players for Macdougal, hard to believe the Yankees wouldn't have gone after him especially with Dotel sidetracked in his comeback attempt.

I believe they may move someone off their roster if KW feels he can upgrade, i.e. Pods out and someone else in and I can see them getting involved with flipping Carlos Lee (or even Soriano) to either keep them away from certain teams (Detroit/Minn. especially) or to acquire more depth and perhaps a bench player of some sort.

If this Soriano thing is off I think it's temporary. I highly doubt Wash. will keep him, even with the new ownership coming in. Soriano may not come to the White Sox but I still think KW has another move in mind. The bullpen appears set though.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
WTF give it to him.

If we don't get him over a no-trade clause I will be pissed.

It could be one of those things where its leverage at this point and it could be re-explored at a later date. I could buy into this, but it also means that they were able to have discussion's with Soriano's agent and from what I had heard the Nats were not letting teams do that.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens and this cool down may very well be a negotiating ploy and if Bowden doesn't seem the offers get stepped up from elsewhere, he may be coming back to Kenny. Plus Kenny has long been known as a guy who gets other teams to come to him after they get there best offer and in which case Kenny often times can up the offer if he sees fit.

KW was just on XM Radio with Kevin Kennedy and Rob Dibble.

Said he got to the park early tonight to talk with a few players in the clubhouse.

One of those guys was Brandon McCarthy who KW personally told he wasn't going anywhere.

He also said that he doesn't plan on trading any pitchers currently on the MLB roster.

But he did go out of his way to say that he got to the park early today to let certain guys know that they weren't going anywhere.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
KW was just on XM Radio with Kevin Kennedy and Rob Dibble.

Said he got to the park early tonight to talk with a few players in the clubhouse.

One of those guys was Brandon McCarthy who KW personally told he wasn't going anywhere.

He also said that he doesn't plan on trading any pitchers currently on the MLB roster.

But he did go out of his way to say that he got to the park early today to let certain guys know that they weren't going anywhere.

I bet you he skipped Pods locker when he was giving that news.

Whether the deal is dead or alive, I think I may have been the first on this post to say there was no way KW was trading McCarthy for a rental.

So what's out there instead? I think Bowden's going to find that the price for Soriano is not all that high at the end of the day. The Yanks won't part with Phillip Hughes, and otherwise have nothing to offer. Bill Stonemen of the Angels is values his prospects too much to give any of them up -- and probably doesn't know which of them are just potential and which ones can really play. Dombrowski is sitting on a 6-1/2 game lead and needs a lefty hitter, not a right handed guy who strikes out and doesn't walk a lot. His whole team is filled with such players.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Soriano, but for a price that would include Podsednik and pitching prospects who are not on the ML club (Sean Tracey?). The Nats need guys who will be players in 3-5 years, when the new stadium will come on line.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
FWIW, I just asked the source about the information again, and he was sure of the Soriano jersey statement, but wasn't 100 pct sure about the no-trade clause.

Get more info FATHOM...Too much suspense.

It could be one of those things where its leverage at this point and it could be re-explored at a later date.

Agree. There are 6+ more days left and this story will continue to evolve.

Regarding the no trade clause, the White Sox gave Garland one for one year and also Contreras but they are not inclined to give one for the length of a contract or an extension. They love having flexibiity and I think it's a good way to do business.

If the hangup is simply contract stuff, and the Sox truly want to get this done, they have one of the best in the business ... Rick Hahn. Hahn is a great one for getting to the win-win and getting things done.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
Whether the deal is dead or alive, I think I may have been the first on this post to say there was no way KW was trading McCarthy for a rental.

So what's out there instead? I think Bowden's going to find that the price for Soriano is not all that high at the end of the day. The Yanks won't part with Phillip Hughes, and otherwise have nothing to offer. Bill Stonemen of the Angels is values his prospects too much to give any of them up -- and probably doesn't know which of them are just potential and which ones can really play. Dombrowski is sitting on a 6-1/2 game lead and needs a lefty hitter, not a right handed guy who strikes out and doesn't walk a lot. His whole team is filled with such players.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with Soriano, but for a price that would include Podsednik and pitching prospects who are not on the ML club (Sean Tracey?). The Nats need guys who will be players in 3-5 years, when the new stadium will come on line.

Don't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back. :)

What Kenny has is this thought: We don't NEED him. We can probably make a deal without him, it just won't be as big.

Nice of you to pat yourself on the back, but lots of people on this site have been saying for months the White Sox (KW) have no intention of trading their major league pitching.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Agree. There are 6+ more days left and this story will continue to evolve.

Regarding the no trade clause, the White Sox gave Garland one for one year and also Contreras but they are not inclined to give one for the length of a contract or an extension. They love having flexibiity and I think it's a good way to do business.

If the hangup is simply contract stuff, and the Sox truly want to get this done, they have one of the best in the business ... Rick Hahn. Hahn is a great one for getting to the win-win and getting things done.

If they really get him done, I think you'll see some sort of trade kicker clause with Soriano getting a bonus if he's moved. It gives the Sox flexibility while Soriano at least gets some sort of reward if he's moved. But its really going to be interesting to see this all play out.

Its all happening so fast right now that I think we'll see things make a lot more sense relatively soon. Oh, if he contract stuff is true, than Pods is either a part of the deal or on his way out because from what I know they have zero plans of using him in CF.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
If what fathom says in true, then we could pretty much end all speculation about flipping Soriano somwhere else... unless the Sox are also interested in selling a bunch of merchendise in the next few days.

More specifically I think it would mean that we'd be moving Pods somewhere else who I do think has value. I just don't know what the club would look for.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
man if we're gonna deal with a month more of acquiring soriano (i know its not like griffey, i know) i'm really gonna start cutting myself.

i'm just kidding...

Actually there's only a week left. Soriano would never clear waivers so August should be free of any trade speculation this year.