White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
I think maybe you're undervaluing his services. He's going to get paid big by someone in the offseason, he's a great player. Not just good, or very good, great.

Well, he looks great this year, but he hasn't always looked so good. For Texas last year, he had a HUGE home/road HR differential. When he was with the Yanks in the playoffs, you could always get him out because he was such a free swinger. They dropped him way down the lineup because his OBP was so bad.

The guy seems like a fantastic talent, but I still don't think he's a disciplined hitter. (This is the first year in his career his OBP is above .338. Not good for a lead off guy.) And he's never paid enough attention to defense to be a complete player.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:54 PM)
About 10-12 years ago, just before he became totally dominant, the White Sox had a trade for Randy Johnson all but agreed upon. They had Johnson's jerseys hanging in the clubhouse, and the Mariners backed out at the last second.

I don't remember that at all.

If KW tells the press that somebody isn't going to be moved, that doesn't really mean much. But if he is telling Brandon to his face that is is not going anywhere, then I think it's pertty safe to assume it is true. At least I would hope so.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
Well, he looks great this year, but he hasn't always looked so good. For Texas last year, he had a HUGE home/road HR differential. When he was with the Yanks in the playoffs, you could always get him out because he was such a free swinger. They dropped him way down the lineup because his OBP was so bad.

The guy seems like a fantastic talent, but I still don't think he's a disciplined hitter. And he's never paid enough attention to defense to be a complete player.

I would still take him any day of the week if I could get him on my team. The guy is an all-star, and deservedly so.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
seriously, that would be highway robbery. To me that kinda sounds like maybe the radio was shootin out a long shot just to maybe keep people listening.

Not necessarily. Vaz has been dominant in the NL in the past and my guess is they think he could come in and do more of the same while Pods could be a versatile leadoff man for them who fits the NL style of baseball much more fitting. Not saying he's better than Soriano, but if they would prefer major league help they would be getting exactly that in a Soriano move.

They replace Soriano with a decent leadoff hitter (albeit one thats not near as explosive) and get a guy thats been an all star type pitcher in the NL.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Not necessarily. Vaz has been dominant in the NL in the past and my guess is they think he could come in and do more of the same while Pods could be a versatile leadoff man for them who fits the NL style of baseball much more fitting. Not saying he's better than Soriano, but if they would prefer major league help they would be getting exactly that in a Soriano move.

They replace Soriano with a decent leadoff hitter (albeit one thats not near as explosive) and get a guy thats been an all star type pitcher in the NL.

Well put.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)

That and the fact that Soriano most likely will not be in DC next season.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)

The guy seems like a fantastic talent, but I still don't think he's a disciplined hitter. And he's never paid enough attention to defense to be a complete player.

Not that it matters. He'll still get a load of cash. But I agree. In every single category, this year screams, Fluke. He's never walked this much in an entire season. He's never had an obp or a slg this high, ever. I'm not willing to say he's great until he sustains this for a few full seasons.

but to give away soriano for 2 players the other team doesn't want... I mean, my god has the baseball market gone down so much? Surely if thats true they would get a prospect as well, of broadway calibur?

Jason ... why would the White Sox trade one of their starters?

They finally have the bullpen set up, and in McCarthy a very good insurance policy.

Pods and prospects makes sense but trading a starter goes against everything KW has talked about all season.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
If I had to make a guess, I would say Williams could not hammer down a long term deal with Soriuano, so the deal was a no go. That would be my guess, but who knows for sure.

I really believe him when he says he wouldn't trade McCarthy. I think Bowden must have given some indication that he would be willing to take something else, because I really believe McCarthy is as untouchable as they come in KW's mind.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
Dick: who's your source

Someone very close to the chairman.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Jason ... why would the White Sox trade one of their starters?

They finally have the bullpen set up, and in McCarthy a very good insurance policy.

Pods and prospects makes sense but trading a starter goes against everything KW has talked about all season.

I'm not saying they would...rather commenting on the Mac, Jurko rumor. I don't see us moving a starter from the major league level (and that includes Brandon) and I know the Sox feel very good about Javy.

I actually like our squad fine even if we don't make a deal, especially if MacDougal stays healthy.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
All along from what I've been told by a rock solid source, BMac was insisted upon by Washington. Maybe they backed down on that demand in the last couple of days, but if they haven't this whole thing was much to do about nothing.

The articles were all worded so awkwardly, it made you wonder. Never 'imminent trade of Alfonso Soriano for Brandon McCarthy', always, 'imminent, and the Nationals want Brandon McCarthy'. It may have been the Nats trying to get the Tigers' price up, too.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)
I would still take him any day of the week if I could get him on my team. The guy is an all-star, and deservedly so.

Well, I would take him too, but not at any price. What if you got this line out of him?

156 637 102 171 43 2 36 104 33 125 30 2 .268 .309 .512 .821

That's his line from last year, when he was in the AL.

The guy has some great talent, but he's also got some real flaws.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
The articles were all worded so awkwardly, it made you wonder. Never 'imminent trade of Alfonso Soriano for Brandon McCarthy', always, 'imminent, and the Nationals want Brandon McCarthy'. It may have been the Nats trying to get the Tigers' price up, too.

I don't think KW is going to be able to keep the Tigers from getting a big bat, but he's sure going to try.