Soriano Rumors: Part Deux

rowand's rowdies

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Stark's latest report claims that while Kirkijan still claims that the White Sox and Nationals are in talks, the deal was never extremely close.

He says that most GM's aren't buying the rumors, and are wondering how Bowden could do this deal this early if both Fields and McCarthy are unavailable.

States that Bowden is still inviting offers.

Speculates KW may be trying to put a package together that includes Broadway, Sweeney, and Liotta, but those aren't the kind of blue chip prospects Bowden is looking for. That is the deal you may take on Sunday, but not on Tuesday.

I am more inclined to believe Kurkijian than Stark.

Anyone else up for changing the title of this thread?

Cause from the main page it definitely looks like:

"Soriano to the white sox: p"

and i thought it was gonna say, Per 670 or something

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
4 pm update on ESPN1000, the update guy quoted Bruce Levine as saying the White Sox and Nationals are talking, and the White Sox are putting together a package of prospects, possibly to include Lance Broadway.

if indeed it is just prospects, you can bet that it would not be the only deal to go down... they still would have to do something with pods/soriano/ whoever.

i know KDub has said 'not trading my starters' before and then done just that, but this time i am thinking that he meant it. perhaps maybe pods, but i doubt it--at least to the nats. If the sox know they wont be able to afford soriano after this season (approx 5/65 is being talked about) unless the sox want the 2 prospects after the season, i'd bet that soriano wont stay in chicago, but be shipped elsewhere. im pipe dreamin, but i still would like to see us get soriano for 'spects (hopefully not including fields) then ship soriano/uribe (possibly with fields) to NY for arod, but arod has no-trade and would look bad if he asked out of ny.

weather or not someone replaces pods, eh dunno. could happen, but he is cheap, and while the sox are struggling right now, he's still part of the chemistry makeup.

Edited by toasty

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Yeah, Kenny, Soxtalk's servers are begging you, get this deal over with!

I want the deal to happen. We made a change to the server set up this morning to increase connections by about 300% and I am curious to see if we did it properly (we may have to make one change) so I'm open to anything that puts a lot of pressure on the server so we can see what this baby could handle.

It was flying after we made some adjustments last night with 240 plus members on. Lets break 400 again and than 500 when we repeat :)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Interesting and that seems like a very fair package. I know a lot of people would hate us giving up Sweeney, but if the Sox plan on keeping Soriano than we may not need Sweeney. Of course Sweeney could replace Dye in time, but thats still a ways down the road and we could always opt for something else or trade for a prospect of sorts.

I really would bet that is what Kenny is waffling over....Sweeney.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
I am more inclined to believe Kurkijian than Stark.

Stark is the best in baseball. His reports have been much more detailed than Tim K.'s, including how much Soriano is looking for as a FA.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
BTW, when I first came on this site about 10 minutes ago, I thought the deal was done due to the headline "Soriano to the White Sox".

haha, glad I'm not the only one.

I changed it

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
Anyone else up for changing the title of this thread?

Cause from the main page it definitely looks like:

"Soriano to the white sox: p"

and i thought it was gonna say, Per 670 or something

^^^ Was gonna say the same thing.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
I really would bet that is what Kenny is waffling over....Sweeney.

That could definately be the 3rd player. Kenny may say hey take Owens and another prospect. It could also be Liotta, who despite falling down a bit this year, the Sox may feel he's under-valued at this point. However, if the team could replace Sweeney, even better, but I make this deal if we plan on making a serious effort at bringing back Alfy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
Stark is the best in baseball. His reports have been much more detailed than Tim K.'s, including how much Soriano is looking for as a FA.

Rosenthal is always right on also.

One thing...Tim K did write an article the other day about Bowden holding some big trade pieces this year. The article included information that made it appear he either had a very good relationship with Bowden, or a solid source inside the National's FO.

I wonder if that is where his info is coming from?

Trader Jim

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:23 PM)
If this trade does eventually happen, I can see it being Pods, Broadway and a lower level prospect for Soriano. He'll then be a rent-a-player for the rest of 2006 and then for 2007 I can see Josh Fields as our starting LFer. Thoughts?

kdub hates expensive rent a players

i still cant see us hanging on to soriano... rather trading him off again

besides... soriano doesnt like the outfield, tho is semi comfortable there now. do we really want to have a guy on the team that thinks this way?

Pods finished his rookie year with a .379 OBP, so that isn't entirely true. He also consistently sees more pitchers per plate attempt, which is something else you want from your leadoff guy. I'm not saying he's great, but he's a little better suited to hit leadoff.

I'm not really all that concerned with homeruns and slugging out of the leadoff spot. That inherrently has less value there because he comes up with men on less often than he does hitting lower in the lineup. Move Soriano down in the lineup and he would have probably been around 120 RBI instead of 90 without seriously hurting his runs totals the past several years.

I don't really have a problem with acquiring Soriano if the price is right (as in not giving up B-Mac). I'd much rather have him hitting 2nd or lower in the order though. If we were going to add a leadoff hitter, I'd rather have Abreu (not endorsing the deal). We don't need slugging as much as guys that consistently get on in front of the guys that hit all of the homers.

That is one year. His career OBP is only .346. Who cares about his rookie year. So, it is ENTIRELY true. I agree he did a good job at seeing more pitches last year, but this year? NO! Last year he did a great job at seeing more pitches and being a leadoff hitter. I don't see him doing that this year.

You are getting a better average, about the same OBP, and only 4 less stolen bases. How does Podsednik possibly become the better leadoff hitter? The only categories that Pods ihas a higher number than Soriano in is triples and caught steals. That is it. There is no way that Pods has better numbers that Soriano that make him more suitable to leadoff. Your only argument is that Soriano is a great power hitter so we have to take advantage of that, however that does not make him any less suitable to hit leadoff than Pods. That is just ridiculous.

Im not sure about giving up Broadway for a rent a player. We have already traded so many pitching prospects. Yeah i know there only "prospects". But still.

If we could resign him right away than id be all for it. If we sign him we could have are starting left fielder and lead off hitter for the next 4 years. A player who has pretty much never been hurt.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
That is one year. His career OBP is only .346. Who cares about his rookie year. So, it is ENTIRELY true. I agree he did a good job at seeing more pitches last year, but this year? NO! Last year he did a great job at seeing more pitches and being a leadoff hitter. I don't see him doing that this year.

You are getting a better average, about the same OBP, and only 4 less stolen bases. How does Podsednik possibly become the better leadoff hitter? The only categories that Pods ihas a higher number than Soriano in is triples and caught steals. That is it. There is no way that Pods has better numbers that Soriano that make him more suitable to leadoff. Your only argument is that Soriano is a great power hitter so we have to take advantage of that, however that does not make him any less suitable to hit leadoff than Pods. That is just ridiculous.

Can we table this back and forth on OBP and value as a leadoff hitter for another thread. There are going to be two camps on this. Those who think he is a shoe in as a leadoff guy to replace pods, and those who want to see his power used lower in the order. Its pointless to go back and forth for multiple pages in a few threads on this subject. I think he will be a replacement for Pods and leadoff. Lets have KW get the guy, and then lets see where Ozzie bats him. No matter what happens, if we get Soriano he will help the team. If he hits leadoff he will help the team, if he hits 5th he will help the team.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)

Exactly what I've been trying to tell everyone.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
Anyone else think KW may give them a Sweeney-Broadway (or even Fields-Sweeney-Broadway) combination to get some extra cash to help pay for an extension?

How does that get KW some extra cash?

Those players make nothing right now.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
How does that get KW some extra cash?

Those players make nothing right now.

meaning nats give some cash to go with soriano

i doubt they get enough extra to make a difference in a LT contract

QUOTE(toasty @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
meaning nats give some cash to go with soriano

i doubt they get enough extra to make a difference in a LT contract

Oh...

No, I cannot imagine any scenario in which the Nats give us cash...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
Oh...

No, I cannot imagine any scenario in which the Nats give us cash...

Yeah, more wishful thinking than anything else. I really don't think KW would rent him tho. We will either deal him again (which I doubt) or Kenny has the free money to extend him.

If we can get Soriano without giving up BMac I like our chances of resigning Soriano. That lets us stick with the plan of moving BMac into the rotation and shipping out a Garcia or Vazquez. Take the salary we hopefully save from moving Garcia/Vazquez and Pods (assuming he is either part of the Soriano deal or would be dealt seperately if Soriano signs an extension), that already goes a long way towards paying Soriano.

I also think the longer the White Sox/Washington deal would take to finalize, the less likely the Sox would be able to just trade Soriano for other parts this year. You can see how long this process takes, hard for it to happen all over again a second time. I can't imagine those second-level discussions are that far along, because if you're another team wanting Soriano, you'd be negotiating with Washington, not the Sox right now.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE(bighurt574 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
If we can get Soriano without giving up BMac I like our chances of resigning Soriano. That lets us stick with the plan of moving BMac into the rotation and shipping out a Garcia or Vazquez. Take the salary we hopefully save from moving Garcia/Vazquez and Pods (assuming he is either part of the Soriano deal or would be dealt seperately if Soriano signs an extension), that already goes a long way towards paying Soriano.

Yes, this is all starting to take shape in my mind the way I imagine it might be in Kenny's.

(How dare I try to assume I know what Kenny is thinking!)