Potential other Sox deals

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
First of all, who do you actually have the A's giving up there? Bobby Kielty and someone named Taveras for Roger Clemens? Wow. That's a steal on their part.

And the Astros are simply not trading Clemens. He practically pays for himself just in the extra attendence they get at that park from having him pitch every few days.

Sox: Heager, Phillips, Garcia and Fields

Astros: Clemens and Willie Tavares

A's: Zito and Kielty

It doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
all the astros got other than burke

and they're 6 games under .500 in a horrible National League, not hard to figure out why.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
First of all, who do you actually have the A's giving up there? Bobby Kielty and someone named Taveras for Roger Clemens? Wow. That's a steal on their part.

And the Astros are simply not trading Clemens. He practically pays for himself just in the extra attendence they get at that park from having him pitch every few days.

never thought of that well we aint getting zito with what we got

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Tavares is just a bad baseball player, imagine Juan Pierre but with an even lower OBP.

To think we actually had people on this board wanting KW to trade Contreras to Houston for Taveras and a middle reliever. And that was AFTER the World Series.

Hmm, this is something I brought up a few weeks ago, a possible swap of Fields for Linebrink. A little late but another source says that the two teams did have talks involving Josh Fields.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padre...26padnotes.html

Towers knows how to build bullpen

By Tom Krasovic

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

July 26, 2006

LOS ANGELES – As the Padres weigh the merits of trading reliever Scott Linebrink for a third baseman – they are still tracking the Braves' Wilson Betemit and talked to the White Sox about prospect Josh Fields – General Manager Kevin Towers is again benefiting from his bullpen-construction skills.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
Hmm, this is something I brought up a few weeks ago, a possible swap of Fields for Linebrink. A little late but another source says that the two teams did have talks involving Josh Fields.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padre...26padnotes.html

I don't think any of us should be surprised that it was discussed. In theory it would fit for both teams, but I think that the price on our side was too high. I think I'm happier with the righty reliever we wound up with.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
I don't think any of us should be surprised that it was discussed. In theory it would fit for both teams, but I think that the price on our side was too high. I think I'm happier with the righty reliever we wound up with.

Oh yeah, I agree. I'm just basically pointing it out as further proof that KW is likely shopping Josh Fields right now.

Since Kenny Williams likes to work under the radar when acquiring players around the deadline I'll just throw a name out there whom I believe fits this description, Rocco Baldelli. I don't know if the D-Rays would even want to move him or if the Sox would want to acquire a player with his injury history and now contract status but I just saw some Devil Rays highlights and I am reminded as to just how much I love the guy.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
we are f***ed. It isnt the players, its the way they are playing. We have the best lineup in the AL, and yet are getting killed. The attitude, and chemistry fishing blow. we arent making the playoffs.

I love posts like that.

All I will say is that we have seen how things can turn around in a matter of weeks.

After what happened last season, I am not ruling ANYTHING out at all, in terms of making the playoffs and doing well once we get in there.

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
i was just reading si and saw something about the sox maybe getting rowand back 4 vazquez this works we can get bmac into the rotation

Don't believe everything you read.

And punctuation would make that a little easier to read. Periods come at the end of sentences. And "for" is only 2 more keystrokes than "4".

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 06:20 AM)
Since Kenny Williams likes to work under the radar when acquiring players around the deadline I'll just throw a name out there whom I believe fits this description, Rocco Baldelli. I don't know if the D-Rays would even want to move him or if the Sox would want to acquire a player with his injury history and now contract status but I just saw some Devil Rays highlights and I am reminded as to just how much I love the guy.

Baldelli may not be available. But I do see KW trying to get the best available right handed hitting Ofer, who can play Lf and possibly CF, and who can hit #1 or #2 in the lineup.

Having mack play Cf and Ozuna LF isn't going to cut it defensively or offensively. With Pods basically a platoon player now, upgrading LF and getting new blood at the top of the lineup could be a priority [with little pitching available, better to improve the defense and offense]. If not this yr, then in the offseason, this could be addressed.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
Baldelli may not be available. But I do see KW trying to get the best available right handed hitting Ofer, who can play Lf and possibly CF, and who can hit #1 or #2 in the lineup.

Having mack play Cf and Ozuna LF isn't going to cut it defensively or offensively. With Pods basically a platoon player now, upgrading LF and getting new blood at the top of the lineup could be a priority [with little pitching available, better to improve the defense and offense]. If not this yr, then in the offseason, this could be addressed.

See, that's why I mentioned Rocco. The guy is an incredible athlete, plays great defense in CF with an above average arm, he can shift around to RF/LF as well and could leadoff if need be with his exceptional speed. Rocco still isn't displaying great plate disciplane but he has shown some very good pop since comming off the DL. Plus he's still only 24.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
See, that's why I mentioned Rocco. The guy is an incredible athlete, plays great defense in CF with an above average arm, he can shift around to RF/LF as well and could leadoff if need be with his exceptional speed. Rocco still isn't displaying great plate disciplane but he has shown some very good pop since comming off the DL. Plus he's still only 24.

Great idea! But since they shipped out Gathright, I doubt they would trade him. Plus, I don't think he is showing 100% of his speed yet...he has been out of baseball for about a year and a half.

That being said, if the Rays put him on the market...GO GET 'IM!

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
I hope that we stop hearing talk about the Sox trading for another releiver. I think that with Riske, MacDougal, Thorton, McCarthy and Jenks our pen is pretty solid. Yes I left Cotts out because he has been pissing me off this year. I think our rotation is where we need the help.

What good is Linebrink to us if he gets the ball and we are already down by 4 runs. I think our 2 top priorities need to be a starting pitcher (BMAC perhaps could slide into the rotation) and a new leadoff man/left fielder. I would trade just about anyone to get Carl Crawford on this team.

I agree, the bullpen is set up in decent shape. Adding to the rotation basically would mean adding BMac to it rather than via trade. Nothing out there would be much of an upgrade. The sox will probably have to wait out the slump in the rotation.

LF is where the sox could upgrade, provided a #1 or a #2 hitter could play there. Crawford would be the absolute ideal and set the sox up for a decade. Though any potential trade would just start with Bmac, Fields and Broadway [and prob. 2 more pitchers]. As the Sox would have to look to upgrade at leadoff and LF in the offseason, why not make a play now for Crawford?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
Great idea! But since they shipped out Gathright, I doubt they would trade him. Plus, I don't think he is showing 100% of his speed yet...he has been out of baseball for about a year and a half.

That being said, if the Rays put him on the market...GO GET 'IM!

I really don't know if he's available at all, I basically just threw his name out there because he's barely been talked about on the trade front so I wanted to toss someone out there who's "under the radar". That being said, I really don't see Rocco getting dealt but if he is, you heard it here first damnit.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
I agree, the bullpen is set up in decent shape. Adding to the rotation basically would mean adding BMac to it rather than via trade. Nothing out there would be much of an upgrade. The sox will probably have to wait out the slump in the rotation.

LF is where the sox could upgrade, provided a #1 or a #2 hitter could play there. Crawford would be the absolute ideal and set the sox up for a decade. Though any potential trade would just start with Bmac, Fields and Broadway [and prob. 2 more pitchers]. As the Sox would have to look to upgrade at leadoff and LF in the offseason, why not make a play now for Crawford?

Umm, that's pretty excessive, that's one of the top offensive prospects in all of baseball (#1 Sox spect), a young stud arm, another top 5-10 Sox prospect (Broadway is probably the #1 pitching spect in the Sox system now that Lummy is gone) and then you have 2 more pitchers? Naw, they want a lot but they won't be finding anyone who's going to give them anything like that.