Interesting Statistics

GoRowand33

At this point of the season last year the whitesox were 67-35 (.657) and on pace for 106 wins. for the rest of the season they only went 32-28 (.533)

This season the Tigers are 70-34 (.673) if they encounter a similar slump for the rest of the season and play .533 ball the rest of the way they go 31-27 and finish up 101-61

for the sox to catch up to that mark they have to go 40-19 (.677) the rest of the season

just thought that was interesting

2005 >> Indians chasing Sox

2006 >> Sox chasing Tigers

Two thoughts, one, tThankfully we are in the race. Two, we know how to close a tight pennant race.

I'd rather be Detroit today, but I still like te chances.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
So basically, this is statistical proof that the division is over? Fantastic.

No...this means nothing. For all we know the Tigers could go on to win 120 games, or 90. You can't predict how many games they will win, or how many any team will win.

All it takes is a small slide by the Tigers (and the Sox taking advantage of it), and you can throw all this garbage out the window. There is absolutely no way to predict they will win this or that many games...you're never out of the race until you're mathematically eliminated from it.

Edited by champ

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:54 AM)
I still think the Tigers are gonna hit a patch in where they just don't play good baseball for 2 weeks, if not longer. If they dont, and they go on to win 110-115 games, they deserve it.

I agree, they have their toughest stretch of the season from August 7th - September 13th. That is going to be a long month for them. If they are still on top after that stretch they deserve the division, but I am not counting anyone out until after that date.

I prefer to dwell on the positives;

Nate Robertson Post ASB - 6.86 ERA

Kenny Rogers Post ASB - 10.97 ERA

Jeremy Bonderman Post ASB - 4.56 ERA

Lucky for them, Verlander has won 3 of his starts, and Miner continues to float above water.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 06:17 AM)

Lucky for them, Verlander has won 3 of his starts, and Miner continues to float above water.

Rogers is toast, but Im surprised about Verlander. I thought he would wear down in his first full season, but hes showing no signs of doing so. The thing is, I really cant see him staying this strong through a deep playoff run. Hes never thrown that many innings. And even if the Tigers do win the whole thing, we can hope Verlander and Bonderman get Buerhle/Garcia dead arm syndrome and that Liriano and Santana trip and fall on the same banana peel. ;)

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
Rogers is toast, but Im surprised about Verlander. I thought he would wear down in his first full season, but hes showing no signs of doing so. The thing is, I really cant see him staying this strong through a deep playoff run. Hes never thrown that many innings. And even if the Tigers do win the whole thing, we can hope Verlander and Bonderman get Buerhle/Garcia dead arm syndrome and that Liriano and Santana trip and fall on the same banana peel. ;)

Thoughts echoed on Verlander as well.

If he starts to struggle though, the Tigers will be vulnerable for the rest of the season in my mind. They're certainly not pitching as well as they did in the 1st half, and I think when you don't draw many walks as an offense like they do, you can't keep hitting so good and scoring as many runs as they have forever.

But who knows, they'll probably prove me wrong, like they have for the season so far. And full credit to them for the way they have taken it up to every other team so far.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
This season the Tigers are 70-34 (.673) if they encounter a similar slump for the rest of the season and play .533 ball the rest of the way they go 31-27 and finish up 101-61

for the sox to catch up to that mark they have to go 40-19 (.677) the rest of the season

Thats what drove me freaking nuts in April and May, giving ball games away like Candy on Christmas day.

The Tigers werent giving anything away and I said it back then, these things add up. Id love to have those 2 games back from April, and the 2 games back in May, plus the 4 in June .............. *Sighs*

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:17 AM)

Those are good stats, but again, if the stupid SOX had just stayed closer, it would put the pressure on the Tiggers knowing that as Great as theyve been playing, the SOX arent/werent going away. Believe me, momentum (hahahaaha, I said MOMENTUM) plays a huge part in winning/losing streaks. Look at where we are ....... 8 games back, and weve let the Twins/Yankees jump back in this too. Wouldve been great knowing the Tigers are only 1 game ahead, and pitching not so great.

Tigers haven't faced any adversity this season. Who knows, maybe they won't. Maybe they'll just win 115 games and cruise through the playoffs and bring home the trophy. The big difference this year is that TWO teams are chasing the leader, not one like last year. It's going to be a fun race, and how big is that final series of the season in Minny??

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
It's going to be a fun race, and how big is that final series of the season in Minny??

Man, I hope the SOX will have wrapped everything up by that point. If its close, you know were not winning in that place. If we are close, I'll probably drive up there for that one

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like it. Hopefully Verlander hits a wall soon. He has never came close to pitching this many innings before.

I don't mind if we don't win the division and get the Wild Card. I think 5 out of the last 8 teams to be in the World Series have been teams that won the Wild Card. Also, 3 of the last 4 World Series winners have been Wild Card teams.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 08:10 PM)
So basically, this is statistical proof that the division is over? Fantastic.

I disagree. I think the division is there for the taking. All we need is our SP's to get their act together. They have a history of success. It's time to dial it up.

Bob

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
Ours for the taking?

It's theirs to lose.

And for us to somehow win the division, they would have to pull a White Sox, and be absolutely terrible for at least one month. I'm not too sure that would even work either because we're bound to have another really bad month since we do it on a yearly basis.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
And for us to somehow win the division, they would have to pull a White Sox, and be absolutely terrible for at least one month. I'm not too sure that would even work either because we're bound to have another really bad month since we do it on a yearly basis.

I think if we get hot, and take 6-8 head-to-head games, we have a good shot to win the division.

Bondermans post second half numbers are bad because he stupidly made a ton of starts last year despite having elbow tendonitis, he was great in the second half in 2004.

I am concerned about Robertson (somewhat) and Rogers (alot) though, I think this one will definitely come down to the wire, with the head to head series (Detroit - Chicago, Detroit - Minnesota, Minnesota - Chicago) being great games with a playoff atmosphere.

It's definitely cool to finally have some excitement in the AL Central, and I honestly think the three teams will all finish within 5 games of each other.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:10 AM)
Thoughts echoed on Verlander as well.

If he starts to struggle though, the Tigers will be vulnerable for the rest of the season in my mind. They're certainly not pitching as well as they did in the 1st half, and I think when you don't draw many walks as an offense like they do, you can't keep hitting so good and scoring as many runs as they have forever.

But who knows, they'll probably prove me wrong, like they have for the season so far. And full credit to them for the way they have taken it up to every other team so far.

I think their offense is going to make or break the rest of the season. If that pitching fails, I think they're screwed. They strikeout a TON (most in the AL), and do not draw many walks (2nd fewest in AL, 3rd fewest in baseball...only the Cubs and Mariners walk less). That offensive "philosophy" (if you'd call it that), is hard to hold up. That team is definately not the 2005 Sox, and I can still see them stumbling. Maybe it's their year and they won't, then you just tip your hat...but I doubt it. I think the Twins are better than the Tigers are.

Edited by champ