Official Game Thread 8/7 - Angels vs Sox 6:05

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:39 AM)
Contreras was 89-91 yesterday. He hasn't been the same since his back injury.

Yeah, I'm not saying Contreras stuff sucks now. Rather, I was just pointing out he's another guy who's velocity is down this year.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
That is an incredibly difficult catch to make, no chance in hell Pods' could catch it.

For someone with supposedly incredible speed...he sure is late to a crapload of balls hit.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
What happened to the extra velocity he had last year? 2 mph can make all the difference between a broken bat grounder or a rocket single. With that velocity at the end of last year, Contreras was able to throw that sinker in on the hands of righties, and they could only hit it to Crede. Now, we see #8 hitters like Aaron Hill hitting rockets to left field to score two runs.

He was still dominant at the beginning of the year. It wasn't until the back injury that his velocity dropped.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
97? I think you're looking at a hot gun...

95-96 is reasonable, and Jose this year has been around 92-94. I don't think the difference is as huge as you're making it out to be.

But again, the burden of proof is on you to show that championship teams' pitchers suffer the next year. If that was true, I'm almost 100% positive it would be more widespread knowledge...

The reason the Count has been down in velocity is more to the point he is dropping down more on facing righties. He was more over the top before his DL stint.

Freddy and Buerhle both need MRIs. Its not the stress of last year. Something else has happened. Freddy happened before the season started, because they did this whole PR program in ST on how Freddy is a finese pitcher. So everyone knew something was up. Buerhle was great for most of the year. His location got away about a month ago. He leaves everything up. If he got the ball down more he would be fine. But he leaves his mistakes up, and up on 2-0. They get hit hard.

Garland was fine phsyically all year long. His problem at the start of the season was not trusting his pitches. The minute he started throwing strikes he started winning.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
great...now we get to watch k-rod celebrate on the mound. He's worse than Zambrano.

Nothing was worse than Pudge's reaction over the weekend. He seriously celebrated more than Kirk Gibson did.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
What happened to the extra velocity he had last year? 2 mph can make all the difference between a broken bat grounder or a rocket single. With that velocity at the end of last year, Contreras was able to throw that sinker in on the hands of righties, and they could only hit it to Crede. Now, we see #8 hitters like Aaron Hill hitting rockets to left field to score two runs.

Aaron Hill's pitch was a sidearm slider that hung, not a fastball...

Did Guillen have any access to statistics when he issued an IBB of Figgens for an effecient (and more dangerous) hitter in Kendrick? McCarthy fares FAR better against lefthanders than righties. Once again, Guillen (or Alomar) appears obsessed with matching up pitchers with their counterparts on the box.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
For someone with supposedly incredible speed...he sure is late to a crapload of balls hit.

Pods doesn't have incredible speed. He's lost more than a step this year. Ozuna is our fastest guy by far.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
Nothing was worse than Pudge's reaction over the weekend. He seriously celebrated more than Kirk Gibson did.

As Kenny Mayne used to say on Sportscenter. "Tell him what he's won!!....A single baseball game out of 162."

Haha I always laughed at that.

He can't read a ball worth a damn. The only thing that keeps him from being a completely horrible defensive OFer is that he has the speed to make up for some misreads. Of course, even his speed can't make up for many of them. And, there is his unrelenting ham-fistedness with that rock hard glove of his.

not gonna comeback for this one. and frankly I hope we don't b/c then ozzie won't learn.

well s*** he hasn't learned yet so I guess I'll hope for the miracle.

Ozzie will never learn. Last year proved to him that there is only one way to manage. He's going to leave any and all SP's out there until they completely blow up. That's just Ozzie. He'll never change.

Here's one more thing that has irked me about Contreras. His sinking fastball and forkball are elite pitches. However, his slider isn't anything exceptional. However, he keeps getting burned on that slider. His forkball is his bread and butter, and he's seemed a little more timid to throw it this year. Rather, he keeps trying to change up his arm angles on his fastball and slider, and everything is out over the heart of the plate.

Just a little observation.

I really hope someone really steps up in the press conferance and says. "How could you possibly leave burhle in there." and not "Did you think burhle could hand the 7th after 2 men reached." b/c if you ask nicely ozzie's just gonna mumble/ramble about crap that doesn't mean s***. If you pose the question like How the hell did were you that stupid after it hasn't worked all season; then ozzie has to really answer the question and maybe admit he was an idiot.

Did Guillen have any access to statistics when he issued an IBB of Figgens for an effecient (and more dangerous) hitter in Kendrick? McCarthy fares FAR better against lefthanders than righties. Once again, Guillen (or Alomar) appears obsessed with matching up pitchers with their counterparts on the box.

LMAO. Do you think that Ozzie EVER looks at statistics? I doubt he ever even takes a glance at them.