Official Game Thread 8/7 - Angels vs Sox 6:05

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
Then will someone please explain to me why basically every pitcher we have has lost velocity this season? I can't think of anyone who hasn't dropped a few mph.

Has Jon at all?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rafacosta @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
If we had a f****** lead off hitter...get Pods out of the leadoff spot...go with Mack or anybody that can at least try to get on base and don't K looking too much...crap...

Unless Mack was gonna jump real high and catch those homers, he wasn't going to help tonight. I don't disagree with your premise in general, it's just not doing anything tonight.

Prediction for the post-game press conference with Ozzie:

Q: Why did you leave Buerhle in so long in the 7th?

A: As a manager, I've got to give my starting pitchers the opportunity to win the game. This team is only going to win the division if our starting pitchers can successfully pitch deep into games. In order to give us the best chance to win the division, I've got to give our starters the opportunity to go deep into games. We can't just have starting pitchers go 5 innings and leave the rest up to the bullpen. That will really burn our bullpen out, especially on this long stretch of games with no off days.

[Yet again, Ozzie will show that he simply doesn't know how to manage during a game. He doesn't have the first clue how to handle a pitching staff. Yet again this season, Ozzie robs us of the chance to win a game. Expect many more of these.]

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:25 AM)
So you disagree that a long postseason run, with a lot of tight games, won't possibly influence a pitcher's ability for the next season? I thought it was a pretty common theory in baseball that these pitchers have a hard time bouncing back the following year after the added innings/stress.

No, I don't buy that, and I don't buy that for this year's team.

For one thing, Ozzie is generally good about not overabusing his pitchers. I don't recall the last time he's had someone pitch over 120 pitches -- if I had to guess, in his whole tenure with the White Sox, I'd say that he's only let guys go over 120 five or less times.

Next, it's not like we had to pitch guys on short rest last year in the playoffs. We were on a strict four man rotation. Contreras was the only one who had four starts, the rest had three. Do I buy that three extra starts are the reason Buehrle has sucked this year? Not a f***ing chance...

Common theory? Common to 'who'?

You want to know what I think? I think Freddy got complacent this offseason and did a little too much partying and not enough working hard. I think Buehrle is a guy who doesn't have his grip on his changeup right now, and is a.)leaving it up in the zone and b.)has it at 81-82 rather than 77-78.

Garland's fine, and Contreras is okay (ie no loss of 'stuff'). Vazquez is what he is; an enigma. He's got great stuff, and he is capable of using that stuff late in games. I still look as him as a guy who can be fixed, and I think he's here for the next year, like it or not.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:33 AM)
I wonder how many 5.1 or 5.2 or 6.1 or 6.2 or 7.1 or 7.2 IP lines our SP have. I bet we lead the league...

:cheers

It's been amazing how many 6 innings, 3 ER starts have become 6.2-5. It's happened like 3 times in the last week, and had happened numerous times prior to this week.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
His velocity was down earlier in the year. I had never heard this, but the radio said that there was a report he had a bad shoulder to start the season.

Widger said his shoulder had been bothering him back in April I believe. What I don't understand is obviously there is something wrong if everyone's velocity is down and the Sox long playoff run, which was almost as short as possible when winning a WS. Why has McCarthy not stepped into the rotation, or even better yet, why does the White Sox rotation lead all rotations in innings pitched?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
lol. Has anyone heard a crowd deflate quicker?

Pretty much the Angels took the Joe Mays how to own the whitesox approach tonight. Constantly go low and away to our right handed hitters. If you have a slider, even better. Our hitters have problems at times going with the pitch. They have been better about it this year, but when you have Paul Konerko pulling a low and away slider into the hole for a hit. When Paulie is on, he hits that pitch to the fence. When the pull monkey team is out there, we dont get hits, we strike out a ton, and we get worked over.

We dont adjust. Even the relievers are going low and away on us.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:34 AM)
Garland's fine, and Contreras is okay (ie no loss of 'stuff'). Vazquez is what he is; an enigma. He's got great stuff, and he is capable of using that stuff late in games. I still look as him as a guy who can be fixed, and I think he's here for the next year, like it or not.

At the end of last season, Contreras' fastball was in the 95-97 mph range, and he typically only threw that and his forkball. I watched the highlights the other day of his amazing Twins start towards the end of the season, and he looked like a completely different pitcher than he is now.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:35 AM)
The thing that really bugs me is that Buehrle was so close to walking off the mound with his second respectable start in a row. I don't even think BMac was warmed up enough yet to come in. Just a pathetic way to lose a game.

That's a great point you make about taking Buehrle out when his confidence can remain high.

The thing that really bugs me is that Buehrle was so close to walking off the mound with his second respectable start in a row. I don't even think BMac was warmed up enough yet to come in. Just a pathetic way to lose a game.

It is true that Ozzie should have had BMac up earlier. But, when Ozzie made his visit to the mound, BMac was shown standing on a bullpen mound, looking onto the field and not throwing because he was warmed up and ready to come in.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)

The long warning track shot previous to the 2 runners getting on was all the warning he should of needed. The fact that he gave up 3 dongs before also should of been a clue.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Yep. It's almost as if they take pride in seeing their team losing just to prove themselves right.

thats not even close to being a correct statement.

we just see what this team is NOW, not what they could be or was. baseball is the hardest game to just flip a switch to get it going. this team has managed to blow a 6 game lead in less than a month, why do you think it will just turn around? I hope it does though

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
At the end of last season, Contreras' fastball was in the 95-97 mph range, and he typically only threw that and his forkball. I watched the highlights the other day of his amazing Twins start towards the end of the season, and he looked like a completely different pitcher than he is now.

97? I think you're looking at a hot gun...

95-96 is reasonable, and Jose this year has been around 92-94. I don't think the difference is as huge as you're making it out to be.

But again, the burden of proof is on you to show that championship teams' pitchers suffer the next year. If that was true, I'm almost 100% positive it would be more widespread knowledge...

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
The long warning track shot previous to the 2 runners getting on was all the warning he should of needed. The fact that he gave up 3 dongs before also should of been a clue.

Even the cameraman thought the long flyout was gone. Maybe its just muscle memory now with Buerhle on the mound.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)

Contreras also had the back problem, but he can still get it up there 93-95.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
97? I think you're looking at a hot gun...

95-96 is reasonable, and Jose this year has been around 92-94. I don't think the difference is as huge as you're making it out to be.

But again, the burden of proof is on you to show that championship teams' pitchers suffer the next year. If that was true, I'm almost 100% positive it would be more widespread knowledge...

Contreras was 89-91 yesterday. He hasn't been the same since his back injury.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:39 AM)
Contreras also had the back problem, but he can still get it up there 93-95.

What happened to the extra velocity he had last year? 2 mph can make all the difference between a broken bat grounder or a rocket single. With that velocity at the end of last year, Contreras was able to throw that sinker in on the hands of righties, and they could only hit it to Crede. Now, we see #8 hitters like Aaron Hill hitting rockets to left field to score two runs.