Official Game Thread 8/7 - Angels vs Sox 6:05

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
Ozzie left him in way, way too long. Possibly the most obvious instance in which Ozzie should have pulled a starter before he blew up, and didn't.

Typical. What did I expect.

Oh well, hopefully we can find some way to pull this out of our ass.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
So even if we lose tonight, we're tied for the wild card lead, with say about 50+ games to go.....so how did we all of a sudden get eliminated?

The next 6 games will be very telling. If they don't pitch any better, you may stick a fork in this season.

If Detroit doesn't win the Central, it will be one of the biggest choke jobs in history.

Detroit is a lock. But can the Sox win the WC? Not with this kind of starting pitching. Not with a manager who doesn't have the first clue how to handle a pitching staff.

General managers would be wise to look to break up the starting pitching rotation/bullpen if their team had a long postseason run the season before. It's amazing how many guys seemingly lose their stuff from one year to the next in these situations.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
You probably said this last year too.

What'd I miss? Just got home from work.

We go into the 7th down 3-2, Buerhle puts 2 men on. After a high monster flyout to the wall that we all thought was out. Ozzie comes out of the dugout, but instead of pulling him has a nice chat. Bases get loaded. Buerhle balks someone in, then implodes.

Ozzie should of pulled buerhle the minute the warning track shot was hit, then after the first guy got on, then after the second guy got on, then after he loaded the bases, then after he balked the next run in.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)
The next 6 games will be very telling. If they don't pitch any better, you may stick a fork in this season.

It just sucks that Garcia's next 3 games are against the Yanks, Tigers, and Twins. Our best chance to win the WC is go 4-2 in our next 6, and then win 3 out of 4 vs KC.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
HAwk should have complained on that pitch.

Hawk has missed complaining about quite a few strikes that weren't called when the Sox were batting.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:18 AM)
General managers would be wise to look to break up the starting pitching rotation/bullpen if their team had a long postseason run the season before. It's amazing how many guys seemingly lose their stuff from one year to the next in these situations.

Yeah, the extra three starts is the reason our pitchers suck this year... :rolleye

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
If we're creating a hierarchy of blame here, Buehrle first and foremost deserves the number one position.

Yes, Guillen should utilizie his bullpen more. Yes, Guillen should know when to pull starters and forget about giving them opportunities to "gain confidence" or earn victories. But who's on the mound? Who has shown himself incapable of pitching over mistakes? Who gave up the balk? What I've seen here these last few pages is Buehrle escaping criticism. He's pitched absolutely dreadful the last month+.

Someone can reply, "his struggles are more of an indication to pull him early," but Buehrle's stigma is eating innings. If he's unable to achieve this distinction, what good is he next season? Or this year?

I'm not entirely scapegoating Buehrle. Guillen should have shown less patience when the first two runners were aboard. But I'll never place a managerial decision over the pitcher on the mound -- our 8 million dollar pitcher -- not doing his job.

BINGO!

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
haha. and you think we still can catch the tigers don't u?

"Only cowards and losers live in the past."

it's a new year. worse team.

I think that this is baseball, and anything can happen. It's not over 'til its over.

Is it likely we catch the Tigers? No. But we are still in the wildcard last I checked, so this trainwreck bulls*** is just that, bulls***.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:20 AM)
Yeah, the extra three starts is the reason our pitchers suck this year... :rolleye

It happens every year in baseball. It's not just the innings...it's the stress of the outings. It's one of the main reasons you don't see teams excel in two consecutive seasons, in my opinion. Also, if you make a long run in the postseason, you're usually going to have guys that had career years. Someone like Cotts or Politte would have had a ton of value in the market this past offseason.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
If we're creating a hierarchy of blame here, Buehrle first and foremost deserves the number one position.

Yes, Guillen should utilizie his bullpen more. Yes, Guillen should know when to pull starters and forget about giving them opportunities to "gain confidence" or earn victories. But who's on the mound? Who has shown himself incapable of pitching over mistakes? Who gave up the balk? What I've seen here these last few pages is Buehrle escaping criticism. He's pitched absolutely dreadful the last month+.

Someone can reply, "his struggles are more of an indication to pull him early," but Buehrle's stigma is eating innings. If he's unable to achieve this distinction, what good is he next season? Or this year?

I'm not entirely scapegoating Buehrle. Guillen should have shown less patience when the first two runners were aboard. But I'll never place a managerial decision over the pitcher on the mound -- our 8 million dollar pitcher -- not doing his job.

Flash when this is happening with one pitcher who struggles and isnt pulled then you can see this is a problem with the pitcher. But when we have had the last 3 losses all due to being down by a run late in a game, and then 2 guys get on, a conference between the manager and the pitcher happens then implosion. If it happens once, sure, but this is 3 times in 5 games When you get into the 7th inning and you are down by a run, you need to play the percentages. My 9 million dollar pitcher has a near 5 ERA. Is he going to give me the best chance to keep this game close or the fresh arm out of the pen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)

The Yankees won 3 WS in a row. The Braves won 15 consecutive divisions. I'm not buying it.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
I think that this is baseball, and anything can happen. It's not over 'til its over.

Is it likely we catch the Tigers? No. But we are still in the wildcard last I checked, so this trainwreck bulls*** is just that, bulls***.

it's a shame that too many people live in fantasyland and just cannot see the truth and look objectively. there is NOTHING that points to this team winning anything.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
Too bad the chicago media don't have enough balls to tell him HE cost them the game with his s***ty managing.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. They went into the inning down 3-2.

I don't think Buehrle should get most of the blame for this game. If Ozzie would have pulled him when he should have pulled him, Buehrle would have had a Quality Start = 6ip, 3er. Not great, but ok. Ozzie left him in long enough for him to completely implode. Ozzie had several chances to pull Buehrle before things got too ugly, and he just sat there, watching it. In this game, Ozzie has been the difference between keeping it close and letting it get out of hand.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:21 AM)
It happens every year in baseball. It's not just the innings...it's the stress of the outings. It's one of the main reasons you don't see teams excel in two consecutive seasons, in my opinion.

Okay, well you show me and prove to me that this happens year after year after year to the championship teams' pitchers. And, if you do this successfully, you'll probably make yourself a lot of cash along with it, because I'd tend to think that that would be a rather large finding.

Mmkay? Till then, your theory stinks of BS. ;)

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:22 AM)
The Yankees won 3 WS in a row. The Braves won 15 consecutive divisions. I'm not buying it.

That was a long time ago, and the steroid era gave everyone more strength/stamina than they have now. The Braves have seen their pitching deteriorate almost every season for quite a while now. However, they also had the advantage that two of their starters are soft-tossers...and future HOFers.