Official Game Thread 8/7 - Angels vs Sox 6:05

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Shut up Hawk. Mark Buerhle gets $9 million a year. Maybe he could pitch over a walk every now and then.

He's just telling you Buehrle's perspective. :bang

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
I can't figure out whether I like that or not. Should I be rooting for Detroit or Minny?

Doesn't matter. If the Sox don't win they won't make the playoffs. If Minny doesn't make it, New York or Boston will.

QUOTE(zenryan @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
I demand you to change your picture

I may have to. I've been a huge MB fan for years. But his performance these past few months has been terrible. This team in general has been terrible. It was one thing back when we had mediocre teams that would always sniff greatness, but always dissapoint. But now we have one of, if not THE most talented team in the MLB, and we are playing horrible. IMO this is much harder to watch then, say for example, 2004 or 2003 or a team like that.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
I just got off work.....how long did Buehrle go? Someone please tell me that Ozzie pulled him before he imploded....then again I wouldn't be surprised if he kept him in too long....

It was Ozzie's darkest moment actually managing a game IMO.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:14 AM)
I just got off work.....how long did Buehrle go? Someone please tell me that Ozzie pulled him before he imploded....then again I wouldn't be surprised if he kept him in too long....

It was the equivalent of the Titanic captain signalling for help after the ship had already sunk.

QUOTE(soxunited @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
the thing is, the bullpen hasn't exactly been lights out either, look what happened yesterday in Toronto.

So what is your suggestion, keep rolling with the starters and pray that the first 100 or so odd games were a fluke.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)

I think you can tell by the tone of the thread.

QUOTE(soxunited @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
the thing is, the bullpen hasn't exactly been lights out either, look what happened yesterday in Toronto.

I would take anyone in the bullpen in the 7th inning versus any one of our SP...Doesn't matter how the SP are pitching before that. A switch is flipped, and they suck. Do we have a CG this year?

Ozzie left him in way, way too long. Possibly the most obvious instance in which Ozzie should have pulled a starter before he blew up, and didn't.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
Buehrle sucks this year. stop making excuses for him. and if he's hurt his ass should be on the DL and bmac starting. like i said a couple weeks ago. this team is done. accept it. it's like watching a car wreck.

You probably said this last year too.

What'd I miss? Just got home from work.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
I would take anyone in the bullpen in the 7th inning versus any one of our SP...Doesn't matter how the SP are pitching before that. A switch is flipped, and they suck. Do we have a CG this year?

The only one I remember off the top of my head was Garcia....and that was a 5 inning game. :P

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
Buehrle sucks this year. stop making excuses for him. and if he's hurt his ass should be on the DL and bmac starting. like i said a couple weeks ago. this team is done. accept it. it's like watching a car wreck.

So even if we lose tonight, we're tied for the wild card lead, with say about 50+ games to go.....so how did we all of a sudden get eliminated?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
So what is your suggestion, keep rolling with the starters and pray that the first 100 or so odd games were a fluke.

Do I have an answer? Hell no. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for Ozzie right now

Edited by soxunited

If we're creating a hierarchy of blame here, Buehrle first and foremost deserves the number one position.

Yes, Guillen should utilizie his bullpen more. Yes, Guillen should know when to pull starters and forget about giving them opportunities to "gain confidence" or earn victories. But who's on the mound? Who has shown himself incapable of pitching over mistakes? Who gave up the balk? What I've seen here these last few pages is Buehrle escaping criticism. He's pitched absolutely dreadful the last month+.

Someone can reply, "his struggles are more of an indication to pull him early," but Buehrle's stigma is eating innings. If he's unable to achieve this distinction, what good is he next season? Or this year?

I'm not entirely scapegoating Buehrle. Guillen should have shown less patience when the first two runners were aboard. But I'll never place a managerial decision over the pitcher on the mound -- our 8 million dollar pitcher -- not doing his job.