Game Thread 8/8/06 Sox-Yanks

Jake

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Garcia's game plan was to pound it inside on the Yankees last time, and after two bombs by Jeter and ARod, he had to change his strategy. Their hitters are too patient/strong to try to bust 87 mph fastballs in on their hands.

that's what interests me, how Freddy is going to mix it up. I hate it when he tries to live outside with nothing but offspeed junk. It's weird, but our entire staff seems to have trouble keeping breaking balls down.

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
that's what interests me, how Freddy is going to mix it up. I hate it when he tries to live outside with nothing but offspeed junk. It's weird, but our entire staff seems to have trouble keeping breaking balls down.

When your velocity is down, you don't get as much break on your pitches. Instead, they become floating pitches that have a lot less bite on them. Also, the opposition is not nearly as off-balanced, as they don't have to protect against the strong fastball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
I love the mixture of speed, power, and on base ability of the Yankees with Abreu and Cano in their lineup now. I think our offense has been great basically all season, but this Yankees lineup impresses me more than any other team's lineup.

the lineup could have sheff and matsui back by the playoffs too...thats just scary...damon, jeter, arod, giambi, sheff, abreu, matsui, posada, cano....damn....not to mention mussina wright and wang have all been very good...id hate to face randy johnson as the possible #3 or 4 in a playoff rotation...they are my WS pick

I really don't understand why Ozzie continues to put Rob Mack in centerfield, besides the left handed advantage. However, if you look at Wang's splits vs. left/right handed hitters, there isn't really a signifcant advantage for left handed batters (BA's: lefties = .268, righties = .263). Mack may hit righties better than Anderson, but I would take Anderson's defense over Mack's in an instant. A saved run is as good as one run scored.

If a mistake is made by him in the field, you can bet his mistake is going to cost them more than one run. Because as we have seen in the past, Freddy pouts and loses focus when mistakes are made behind him. You know how Bill Simmons coined the "DLowe" face? Well its time for the "Freddy" face.

Edited by soxunited

QUOTE(soxunited @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
If a mistake is made by him in the field, you can bet his mistake is going to cost them more than one run. Because as we have seen in the past, Freddy pouts and loses focus when mistakes are made behind him. You know how Bill Simmons coined the "DLowe" face? Well its time for the "Freddy" face.

Usually I like to count them as direct and indirect. As in, the 2nd guy who got on base when Garland was pitching and Mack was in CF against the Blue Jays in the first inning got to first because Anderson was not in CF. So instead of man on first, 2 out, we had man on 1st and 2nd, 1 out. Then Glaus hit a bomb. The one run was directly attributable to Anderson not being in CF, because that guy wouldn't have been on base. But on some level, there's the indirect runs scored because who knows how Garland would have pitched Glaus with 2 outs and no RISP. Or, like with Vazquez in Baltimore, Mack gives up 2 hits, one of which led directly to a run, but both of which led to the pitcher needing to throw more pitches, and suddenly, Vaz collapsed late in the game. You can't say Vaz wouldn't have collapsed without Mack in CF, but it sure didn't help matters.

I really want to go all Tonya Harding on Mack, and it's not his fault at all.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
I really want to go all Tonya Harding on Mack, and it's not his fault at all.

I agree, I feel that for the most part, Ozzie has set him up for failure by playing him in center.

Hey, atleast it's 0-0 in the 1st.

LOL that didnt take long ahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahah

hahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

ahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahah

hahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahaha

ahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
Ha....when will they learn? What a freaking joke.

Lol, Ozzie is never going to learn. I think we have a better chance of signing Albert Pujols and Derrek Lee before he learns that Mack is TERRIBLE in CF and Pods is TERRIBLE in LF.

Right now, we have the worst defensive outfield in the history of everything with Mack, Pods, and Dye.

$50 says Damon scores.