White Sox Loser

Butter Parque

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Why not give Gload a chance to play LF? There's no chance he can be worse than Pods or Ozuna out there. Those guys can only catch fly balls hit directly at them anyways. Even Pods today said his arm is awful. However, Ozzie said he's the best we have out there, so he'll keep playing.

I have no problem giving Gload the chance either. I just think we HAVE TO get Pods and Ozuna out of there, no matter what. They just aren't getting it. Why is Ozzie so stubborn? Seriously, I just don't get why he settles for crap like Mackowiak in center and Podsednik in left. I sit here, stunned, so many times, by the boneheaded moves that Ozzie makes, and keeps making.

It hurts my head after a while.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:10 AM)
Its unbelievable to me how poorly you can pitch wearing a White Sox uniform and still be praised these days.

Yep, I agree. The expectations are sky high, but I've never seen people celebrate mediocrity so much (a line from "Meet the Fockers").

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Nice numbers but can you name the last time he got a clutch hit for us at a crucial time? I watch every game and it seems like every time he comes up late in a game and we need a homer or hit, he doesnt do anything

If u know a time when hes come through when needed..Please refresh my memory

Last night he drew a HUGE walk in the 11th to get the game winning run into scoring position, that's pretty damn clutch in my book.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Why not give Gload a chance to play LF? There's no chance he can be worse than Pods or Ozuna out there. Those guys can only catch fly balls hit directly at them anyways. Even Pods today said his arm is awful. However, Ozzie said he's the best we have out there, so he'll keep playing.

Because Ozzie cannot have his Marlin offense without his Pierre type up on top. He needs his little fast guy leading off. Thats why its been Ozuna or Pods only. Last year we used Timo who isnt fast uptop when Pods went down, yet mackowiak cant crack the lineup unless its to play a position he cant play.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Podsednik has to go, and its frustrating because I, and many others, think we have the replacement sitting right on the bench: Rob Mackowiak. The guy is a killer against righties, and I think he can play LF much better than Podsednik, as it is the easiest outfield position to play. Sure, he's not your prototypical leadoff hitter, but Pods is just plain terrible right now. It's a move that makes sense.

I wholeheartedly agree. Its a slight upgrade on defense, big upgrade in batting and who the hell cares about base stealing? Pods hasn't been stealing bases since the ASB. While he's not your prototypical leadoff hitter, its not like Pods has been tearing the cover at all.

In regards to Pods, I've made no secret that I can't stand him on the field. However, I would love for him to shut me up and contribute to this team. The thing that sucks is he continues to get worse, and his confidence seems shot. For a slap hitter, he has no bunting ability and he strikes out way too much.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:14 AM)
I wholeheartedly agree. Its a slight upgrade on defense, big upgrade in batting and who the hell cares about base stealing? Pods hasn't been stealing bases since the ASB. While he's not your prototypical leadoff hitter, its not like Pods has been tearing the cover at all.

Mackowiak is two times the base runner Pods is now.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
Most likely not the last one, but the solo homer against the Cards was a game winner. 8th inning I believe (possibly the 7th) and our only hit of the game. That was HUGE.

Good call Tito, that's 2 game winning HRs (non walkoffs) right there that he's had this year, both of which were in huge clutch situations and agianst good teams (Twins, Cards).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:14 AM)
Last night he drew a HUGE walk in the 11th to get the game winning run into scoring position, that's pretty damn clutch in my book.

I can't believe anyone would blame any of the following on the Sox this year: Thome, PK, Crede, and Dye.

Those four guys are having superior years, and they've all been pretty damn consistent all season.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:05 AM)
I think blaming Thome is way off base here. Look at his statistics, he's having a monster season. Without Thome, we aren't .5 games up on the WC (or maybe .5 back, if the Twins won). What about the 7-8-9 today? Bases loaded, no out, and we get three straight outs? Thats bad, bad news.

Im not blaming Thome. Yes his numbers are very indicative of a great year statistically. However, he reminds he of sammy sosa when with the cubs. Great numbers statistically if not better, but when it came to teh clutch, he was no where to be found. And if you remember those years, these two players seem very much a like IMO

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
Good call Tito, that's 2 game winning HRs (non walkoffs) right there that he's had this year, both of which were in huge clutch situations and agianst good teams (Twins, Cards).

There was also the third game in Pittsburgh where he tied the game up on a shot. The game wasn't won (stupid walkoff homerun for the Pirates), but it was still a big hit.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)

Exactly! Ozzie has this obsession with "speed at the top," but Podsednik just ISN'T "speedy" anymore. Everytime he gets on base, it seems like he gets picked off or caught stealing second. A couple of the recent ones were just embarassing too. He just isn't getting that read he was getting pre-injury last year. It's just too bad that Ozzie doesn't get it.

Our starting pitching sucks, as does our LF and CF position. If we can get some improvements from those positions, we're going to play better baseball.

I agree with Fathom here. However our bullpen also can be mediocre to s***. I can't understand why the people who wanted Garland out of there can't see that the bullpen also likely would have sucked. Oz can't win either way.

It's not like these bullpen guys are studs.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
Im not blaming Thome. Yes his numbers are very indicative of a great year statistically. However, he reminds he of sammy sosa when with the cubs. Great numbers statistically if not better, but when it came to teh clutch, he was no where to be found. And if you remember those years, these two players seem very much a like IMO

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree. I don't think Thome is the greatest clutch hitter in the game, but he is not "no where to be found." I mean, we've given 3 examples now of how this just isn't true. I guess we just don't agree.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)

And here's another important one, but Politte blew the game.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...p&team=away

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
I can't believe anyone would blame any of the following on the Sox this year: Thome, PK, Crede, and Dye.

Those four guys are having superior years, and they've all been pretty damn consistent all season.

Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed.

Unfortunately, those are the only four guys having career years. And unless those guys can throw, we might be having a few more of these threads.

I like having pitchers fear 2-6. I mean REALLY fear. But the only problem, no one fears our pitching. THey've been hit around long enough now where hitters relaxing in the box and waiting their turn. They know if they hang around for 4-5 innings, they'll get their shot more often than not.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)

Didn't Thome also have big pinch hit homers against the Cubs on that Saturday game when AJ went deep in the 9th to win it, and against the Reds?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
I agree with Fathom here. However our bullpen also can be mediocre to s***. I can't the people who wanted Garland out

of there can't agree that the bullpen also likely would have sucked. Oz can't win either way.

Maybe it's because the bullpen is so used to coming in with runners on? It's a LOT harder to pitch with a runner on first. MacDougal and Thorton always seem to do great when they come in to start the inning, but the runner on first/second/third seems to throw them off. They seem to focus on them, and then they make a bad pitch and let the guy score. I think if Ozzie would start the inning with the relievers, they'd be a lot better off.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
And here's another one he should've had, but Politte blew the save.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...p&team=away

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
There was also the third game in Pittsburgh where he tied the game up on a shot. The game wasn't won (stupid walkoff homerun for the Pirates), but it was still a big hit.

:D

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:19 AM)
I agree with Fathom here. However our bullpen also can be mediocre to s***. I can't understand why the people who wanted Garland out of there can't see that the bullpen also likely would have sucked. Oz can't win either way.

Our bullpen, compared to our starting pitchers, is much better. The only guy who's really struggling is Cotts.

Thome was THE LAST guy I wanted to see up there in that situation. Ugh.

Anyway, we can still take the series tomorrow, if Vazquez comes out and pitches like he did in Toronto. Go Sox...take the series and bring the momentum into the Detroit series.

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)

2 game winning HRs he's had and another huge clutch play were just mentioned. Also, Sammy Sosa had 11 career walkoff hits (9 HRs), Jim Thome? 9 Walkoff hits, all of them being HRs. The stats really don't back you up on this one.

I think any critical comments of Thome are stupid.

I can understand being upset about that particular at bat. But cmon.

It's just stupid to criticize a guy with his numbers.

And how Brian Anderson and his .220 average isn't crucified more is beyond me.

I know he's a good outfielder.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Our bullpen, compared to our starting pitchers, is much better. The only guy who's really struggling is Cotts.

Pssst...Riske was the guy who put the game out of reach. Surrendering two extra runs in the 7th.

Riske can be good, or he can suck. Same thing with Cotts.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Didn't Thome also have big pinch hit homers against the Cubs on that Saturday game when AJ went deep in the 9th to win it, and against the Reds?

That is also true, the pinch-hitter against the Cubs. I do not recall the Reds game though... and what was the game on 4/22? I don't remember that one either.

So, we are up to 5, possibly 6 games where Thome has hit a big homer?