Root for Boston or Detroit?

stretchstretch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised. Clearly I'm in the vast minority here but I root for Detroit. I know it's nice to say "division champs" but to me the most important thing is making the playoffs. We have a great shot at Detroit but when it comes to the wildcard we control our destiny. We are ahead of Boston and the more space we put between us, the closer we are to guaranteeing the PLAYOFFS which is the important thing. Now that Liriano is done, Minny doesn't scare me, so Boston is the primary wildcard contender. If we sweep KC (which I expect) and Detroit sweeps Boston, we'll be 5 up in the wildcard.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
I'm surprised. Clearly I'm in the vast minority here but I root for Detroit. I know it's nice to say "division champs" but to me the most important thing is making the playoffs. We have a great shot at Detroit but when it comes to the wildcard we control our destiny. We are ahead of Boston and the more space we put between us, the closer we are to guaranteeing the PLAYOFFS which is the important thing. Now that Liriano is done, Minny doesn't scare me, so Boston is the primary wildcard contender. If we sweep KC (which I expect) and Detroit sweeps Boston, we'll be 5 up in the wildcard.

That's a good way to look at it. I see your point. It's just my opinion that you always shoot for the division.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)

I'm rooting for the Tigers to sweep.

We'll learn a lot about the team the next couple days. If we put away the s***ass Royals we've got

something going. If they beat us we're back to our inconsistent ways. I mean, cmon, it's time to beat

those guys. Their pitching is not good. Yes they have a few good players but the Twins and Tigers have

beaten the piss out of them; we need to also.

That said, I root for Boston; I want to win the division.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)

This is precisely why I started the thread, it's a lot easier to build on an existing lead than hope to take one that's still a ways off and then hold it until the end......we might find ourselves 1 gm behind Detroit in the central and a 1/2 gm behind Boston in the WC on the last day, wishing that Detroit had won just one extra game in the Det/Bos series starting tomorrow.

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
This is precisely why I started the thread, it's a lot easier to build on an existing lead than hope to take one that's still a ways off and then hold it until the end......we might find ourselves 1 gm behind Detroit in the central and a 1/2 gm behind Boston in the WC on the last day, wishing that Detroit had won just one extra game in the Det/Bos series starting tomorrow.

If that happens, I'll just wish the Sox had won more games.

I'm having a hard time imagining anyone would want anything but a sweep by Boston. BoSox sweep the tigers (not to mention send them into a further freefall)....the Sox sweep KC...2 games back!

I guess the people happy with the WC root for Det.

People wanting he Division root for Bos.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
I'm having a hard time imagining anyone would want anything but a sweep by Boston. BoSox sweep the tigers (not to mention send them into a further freefall)....the Sox sweep KC...2 games back!

I guess the people happy with the WC root for Det.

People wanting he Division root for Bos.

Well I just want to make the playoffs and I don't really care how we do it, so long as we do, but it's going to be hard for me NOT to root for the Red Sox in this series.

I think the wheels are just falling off Detroit right now. I've made numerous posts about their starting pitching in the 2nd half of the season so far.

I will definitely be cheering for Boston. I want to see that bad momentum continue for Detroit. Maybe it can carry them right out of the Division lead within a couple of weeks. I'm hoping that we can take it from them on their home field on the 21st through the 24th.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
I will definitely be cheering for Boston. I want to see that bad momentum continue for Detroit. Maybe it can carry them right out of the Division lead within a couple of weeks. I'm hoping that we can take it from them on their home field on the 21st through the 24th.

I want Boston to sweep the tigers and then Boston to get swept by the Yankees this weekend while we take care of Minnesota.

i told my dad i dont care who wins any of these games as long as we keep taking care of business; relying on other teams to win just wont work in the long run...it may seem somewhat cliched but you really have to just take care of your business and put yourself in a position to control your fate

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 07:42 AM)
I'd never root for Boston under any circumstance.

I dispise them more than anything in sports.

As a lifelong fan of almost all things Chicago (f the Cubs) this is how I feel about Detroit. I don't know if I could root for one of their teams if my life depended on it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
As a lifelong fan of almost all things Chicago (f the Cubs) this is how I feel about Detroit. I don't know if I could root for one of their teams if my life depended on it.

Agreed, although if it came down to it, if we're in, I'd rather see Detroit get in as well than the Boston/NY loser in the AL East.

I would like a sweep by either team, boston could be in big trouble if they have a bad week against the tigers and yankees...if the tigers get swept again we will be in pretty good shape to take them down the stretch...

the yankees and bosox have pretty easy September schedules

in any case we can't have a let down after our good week, keep it going boys...

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm rooting for the Tigers to sweep.

wow. I'm dumbfounded by this sentiment and it seems to be pretty pervasive. I guess the scars of July still linger.

I'm rooting for the Sox to win the division and have the best record in the AL and homefield throughout the playoffs and world series. Call me crazy.

I seriously think the Sox could be in the midst of a 9-10 game win streak right now. I also think the Tigers are on the ropes and I want them to stay there. If this were the last week of the season and the Sox were all but mathematically eliminatd from winning the division, then I would root otherwise.

Texas is playing good ball right now and the kitties host them for 4 games starting Thursday. I think they will get a split, at best.

If we go into the HHH dome and deal I seriously believe the Sox could be in first place in the division going into the four game series at Detroit next week. How could you want it any other way? Resigning yourself to the WC after a sweep of Detroit? yikes.