Chris Young Called Up

DBAHO

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
I've seen Sweeney and I doubt he will ever sniff 30 homers in a year, however, he has the makeup to be a terrific, terrific major league talent. He has a great GREAT arm, clearly good enough to play RF or CF...having him in LF would make him even more dangerous. His defense is about major league ready now. He isn't as smooth as a defensive OF as Brian, but he's next in line.

I see Sweeney as a hitter who will NEVER be below .270, .280...He has .300+ written all over him. He has one of the smoothest easiest swings I've seen. His technique, his balance, and his movement (not wasted) are almost computerized they are so good.

Let me tell you, this kid IS THE GOODS. I tried hard to watch him in games I've seen to figure out why he isn't hitting homers. The kid is a big kid and has good bat speed, but the balls just don't leave the yard for him, but he does pepper the alleys and lines. Maybe the top hand on his bat is too dominant on the swing and he is creating too much top spin and not getting enough lift, I don't know...but THIS KID CAN HIT A BASEBALL...

He will hit .300> for 10 years in the majors, compete for the league lead in doubles, triples, TBs, OPS, and will likely develop into a 15-25 homer guy. He looks like the future #3 hitter for the Sox.

He has 3 triples this year, 3 triples last year, and 3 triples in 2004. Explain?

I'd also like to say that you are insane if you think that he'll compete for the league lead in OPS when he's yet to show power (although yes it will likely come) and has never posted a OBP high enough to offset the lack of slugging percentage.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
He has 3 triples this year, 3 triples last year, and 3 triples in 2004. Explain?

I'd also like to say that you are insane if you think that he'll compete for the league lead in OPS when he's yet to show power (although yes it will likely come) and has never posted a OBP high enough to offset the lack of slugging percentage.

The triples was a mis-print. I doubt he'll ever lead the league in triples, but he certainly can compete for league leads in OPS if he keeps heading in the right direction. It's called prognostication. I don't just look at the stat sheet and make my determination. Sweeney simply doesn't have the look or feel of a kid that will only hit 8 homers a year.

While he won't be a 30+ homer guy, being consistently in the 20s is not out of the question. But I guess I am insane, because he has never hit 30+ in the minors and the statsheet says "punch and judy".

For all the harping on Sweeney's lack of power, he is only 5 homers behind power hitting stud Josh Fields. If one suggests Sweeney only has 13 because of where he plays then why doesn't Fields have more? Sweeney is becomming a more powerful hitter and strikes out half amount of the time Fields does. I am a bit perplexed why Sweeney hasn't walked much this year, but I expect as he becomes more patient (with experience) you will see his average and other composite numbers climb.

Punch the player up on video and show me any weakness he has in his game. I am not a major league scout, but at such a young age Ryan Sweeney is very developed and is loaded with potential.

Edited by kwolf68

A Rowand thread and a Chris Young thread in "Pale Hose Talk."

Please move on. They are not with the White Sox (that doesn't mean pay zero attention to them) anymore.

*ducks*

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chris Young has taken Jason Schmidt yard today... He struck out, walked, and hit one out...THe kid is on his way. They got over on us big-time with this deal. Oh well...you win some and lose some...Kenny wins most of em.

...and when Jeremey Reed was called up he hit over .400 and made an awesome catch that was all over Baseball tonight.

People then were screaming about how the Mariners worked us over.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
To all of those who are so in love with Ryan Sweeney as a "great prospect" and who think he is major league ready, what is it about his performance this year that impresses you?

.349 OBP

.449 SLG

.798 OPS

That isn't at all impressive. If you think he's a great prospect, then how do you explain his underachievement this season? And if he isn't excelling at AAA, what makes you think he's ready to excel in the majors? I would prefer that he shows that he can do very well in AAA before making him a regular in the majors. Long story short, he needs to spend some significant time in AAA next season before getting serious consideration for the major league team.

I don't know. I'm still waiting for LTP to be the next Mickey Mantle.

:P :P :P

Bob

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)

Please move on. They are not with the White Sox (that doesn't mean pay zero attention to them) anymore.

*ducks*

...and when Jeremey Reed was called up he hit over .400 and made an awesome catch that was all over Baseball tonight.

Point taken. However, I think we (Sox fans) are gonna rue the day Kenny traded this guy -- especially for an underachieving, overpaid, headcase like Javy. Could you imagine a LF/CF combo of Young and Anderson? I think I'm gonna cry now. :crying

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
I don't know why Brian Anderson gets let off the hook by so many fans.

Has he proven he can hit yet in the big leagues?

I mean I like his defense as much as anybody but you can't tell me he's done

better than Rowand did.

Again, I like his defense and his potential I guess, but Brian Anderson does not

appear to me to have star potential as a hitter.

I know ... Crede took a while too. We shall see but to say we'll have one of the best

cf's for the next six years, I dunno about that.

Even the biggest Brian supporters have to admit he has been a C- at the plate to D

plus to go with his A-plus work in cf.

Brian is a better player than Aaron right now and he's going to continue to get better. Brian had a rough start but he's been real darn good ever since.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)

*ducks*

I still think Jeremy Reed has a shot at being a good major league ball player.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
He's had two years to prove it. Hasn't really done it.

Get your facts straight dude. He was a september call up in 04 and did very good. 05 was his rookie year, and had an okay rookie season, better then Anderson's. And he has been plagued by injuries this year and is currently on the 60-day DL. Like I said, I think he still has a chance to be a pretty good ball player.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't redo the trade or anything. I am just a Jeremy Reed fan.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
Yeah but Chris Young has no shot to be better than average, right?

um... I said I think he will be an average player.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Contreras (even with recent struggles) > Loaiza

My question is why didn't we do a better job of keeping Fabio Castro?

Because he doesn't fit in the Sox's plans?

My comment about Loaiza was a joke towards the people who are using one game to evaluate Chris Young, and the trade itself.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
Because he doesn't fit in the Sox's plans?

My comment about Loaiza was a joke towards the people who are using one game to evaluate Chris Young, and the trade itself.

Even Kenny said he thinks the Young trade will be one that bites him in the rear. I think he's right.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
I still think Jeremy Reed has a shot at being a good major league ball player.

Your definitely not the only one. Many posters can tell you here that I'm one of the biggest Jeremy Reed fans here. I think he's still going to be a stud. But of course that's just me.

Also, alot of posters can tell you that I hated Chris Young as a spect when he was here, (I know Jason, Maggsmaggs, dasox, WH1 and others loved him, but me and a couple people [some banned] didnt) so the trade really doesn't bother me one bit. If he does succeed, becomes a serious stud, and/or if Reed flops etc.. I'll definitely eat a ton of crow and I'll wish him well. Still doesn't mean I have to be a fan of his though.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 02:22 AM)

LOL. You gotta be joking with that comment, right?

Yes, me, WHarris, and all of the other Chris Young fans are using one game to evaluate him. Forget the 48 HRs and 73 doubles he's put up at three different levels over the past two years; we're all judging him on the eight ABs he's had. :banghead

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
The Vasquez trade may make the Ritchie trade look unimportant in comparison.

That deal was unimportant years ago when we all found out the Kip Wells isn't that good.