College Life

Heads22

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Haha, I'm in Deviney so it's one of the s***iest ones on campus, but to tell you the truth...I love it. Everyone here gets along a lot more because they don't really care that they're in a crappy dorm.

Oh yeah, a girl I dated was an RA there my sophmore year...I think it was smith and salley that were worse, not sure...and you're close to the nicer ones around landis green like gilchrist and murphee...My memory is probably failing me...

I was in osceola hall, an off-campus dorm, my first year and frog pond apts. my 2nd year...ah, so many blurry FSU memories...

Those walks to Doak will be fun. Enjoy it!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Oh yeah, a girl I dated was an RA there my sophmore year...I think it was smith and salley that were worse, not sure...and you're close to the nicer ones around landis green like gilchrist and murphee...My memory is probably failing me...

I was in osceola hall, an off-campus dorm, my first year and frog pond apts. my 2nd year...ah, so many blurry FSU memories...

Those walks to Doak will be fun. Enjoy it!

I'm right next to Landis and the green. I really dont want to go into Landis anymore though because this is the first year it is open since it was renovated.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
My first week of college life was awesome! All I did was go out and party every night, and go to class of course. That's one thing I'm definitely gonna do: go to class. I'm gonna try really hard not to fall into the trap of missing class. Classes have gone really well so far, though. I feel pretty good about all of them. But, anyway, I've just had a lot of fun w/ my roommates and just hanging out being able to do whatever I want.

And, rush week starts today, so we'll see shortly if I'll be joining a frat or not. Oh, and we play Cal this week, so I'm really excited about that game. It should be a blast.

Overrated. ;) But seriously, there are definitely ways to get around going to class in college and still get good grades. :ph34r:

there seem to be 3 tracts in college:

1)The kids that go to class but don't buy the books cause they realize the teacher just goes over the s*** in class.

2)The kids that don't go to class but know the books by heart cause they know that the teacher just goes over that s*** in class

3) And me, the kid whose too scared to do either this early in his career.

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)

1)The kids that go to class but don't buy the books cause they realize the teacher just goes over the s*** in class.

2)The kids that don't go to class but know the books by heart cause they know that the teacher just goes over that s*** in class

I personally barely go to any of my lectures and just buy my books when I need them, last semester I actually only bought half my books. I do go to all my labs and such though, so that definitely helps. It's working so far, so I shall keep doing it.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)

i've definitely fallen into category number 2.

My first year I went to almost every class.

Last year, not so much.

It's all about going to almost every one the first week or so, figuring out which ones you need to go to everytime and which ones you don't.

Like this semester, my nutrition class, the lectures are straight out of the book. If i just keep up with the readings, lecture is pointless.

While my econ class, I will have to go to everyday just because of the crazy material and the way the class is structured.

I've always been the kind that will learn more reading and doing problems than taking notes on a lecture, where all the same info is in the book.

QUOTE(bmags @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
that would freak me out...too many variables to get screwed.

It worked out real well last year to be honest, did my best in school since like 7th grade. :lol: Like snb said, it's basically knowing which classes you can get away with not going to. Lectures for the most part are pointless to me cause notes are on the internet a lot of times or whatever. Just cram the night before a test and you can get by.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm not really a drinker. I coulda gone to Iowa City to get drunk this weekend, but I stayed back to watch the Sox. Smart choice. Too bad Row44 and I don't go to the same school, cause we were both ready to.

I was actually in your neck of the woods visiting a friend of mines, needless to say we didnt leave until the sox game was over...and then went out to drown our sorrows.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
i've definitely fallen into category number 2.

My first year I went to almost every class.

Last year, not so much.

It's all about going to almost every one the first week or so, figuring out which ones you need to go to everytime and which ones you don't.

Like this semester, my nutrition class, the lectures are straight out of the book. If i just keep up with the readings, lecture is pointless.

While my econ class, I will have to go to everyday just because of the crazy material and the way the class is structured.

I've always been the kind that will learn more reading and doing problems than taking notes on a lecture, where all the same info is in the book.

I tried to go to all of my classes just because of how expensive school is. Feels like a waste of a lot of money to not go to class.

I had a semester where I lagged, but even than I would go to at least half my classes and all of my accounting specific ones. In general I probably was in class at least 90% of the time.

I got the urge of missing school out of my mind by skipping a lot in high school (I always used up my absences, lol).

I dunno, I just felt a lot more comfortable if I were there cause I wasn't missing things if a test was pushed back or we had some sort of quiz in class (cause pretty much all my professors would ocassionally give short notice quizes and if I weren't going to class I'd be missing em).

So, you guys would pretty much recommend skipping the lectures where you could pretty much get the info from reading the books or from internet notes?

I had two classes today. One was my English class. Mainly, my teacher -- seemed like a real cool guy -- said that a lot of the writings would be done in class. Plus, it's an 11:00 class, so its not like one of those pain-in-the-ass classes where I have to wake up real early.

The other was my history class. This one seemed like a class I could miss a lot more, but unfortunately the professor said that you can only miss a maximum of six classes per semester. Oh well, I'll be sure to use 'em all, I guess... :)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
Keith, go as much as you can the next few weeks. Look like your serious about the class. You will find out if you think you can do the class without actually going or not, and it will be much easier. Also, dont screwed with a teacher taking attendance.You dont want to miss 4 or 5 classes, then show up the next day and be dropped...

Ya, listen to Tony, dont take my advice on ditching classes. You can do it if you figure out which teachers take attendance, when all your quizes and tests are going to be and if you can find notes from elsewhere. You'll be able to figure out yourself which lectures you can miss and which ones you can't.

EDIT: I'd like to take a moment and say that I officially hate heads as he thought I was attending U of I. :angry:

Edited by Rowand44

Don't buy books from bookstores. You can get them cheaper on ebay, amazon or your friends.

I bought my friend a 12 pack one semester to use a book he purchased, and I still didn't use the damn thing.

If someone has 2 or more classes with you, become his/her friend.

Guys in college like to talk about: sports, girls, beer, and poker. That's about it.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
So, you guys would pretty much recommend skipping the lectures where you could pretty much get the info from reading the books or from internet notes?

I had two classes today. One was my English class. Mainly, my teacher -- seemed like a real cool guy -- said that a lot of the writings would be done in class. Plus, it's an 11:00 class, so its not like one of those pain-in-the-ass classes where I have to wake up real early.

The other was my history class. This one seemed like a class I could miss a lot more, but unfortunately the professor said that you can only miss a maximum of six classes per semester. Oh well, I'll be sure to use 'em all, I guess... :)

Keith...do one or the other - go to the lectures and take some notes or make sure you do the readings or notes. You fall into trouble when you say "i don't feel like going to class, i'll do the readings later," then you fall behind on readings and it becomes a pain in the ass to catch up. It can be done, it's just more work than you should need to do. If you know you don't want to do the readings this weekend, then just make the trek to class and sit there and pay attention. You'd be surprised how much you won't fall behind at all if you just actually attend class, even if you fall behind on readings.

The class will tell you if you can skip or not. If attendance is part of the grade, go...don't piss away easy points. If there are random quizzes...go...you can't afford to give away 20% of your grade because you missed most of them.

If it's a lecture where the teacher literally just reads the notes, or even fills in stuff from the notes you bring to class...my advice is to find a friend or two, and you guys rotate going to class to get the notes. All in all it's smart to find a buddy or two in class early on that can save you when you miss a day of notes, or can write your name on the attendance sheet, etc.

I was one of the kids who planned my absences a lot, and went to every class before and after planned absences. I went to class the majority of the time because you only have class for like 2-4 hours a day...you have a ton of free time to begin with, so what's another hour. The only hard ones to go to were the 8am classes, etc.

In that class where you can only have 6 absences, my advice is to save them. You are better off having 5 in the last few weeks available to you as opposed to burning 3 in the first 3 weeks and be forced to go to class when you're hungover as hell one day, or really need to study for a test that's right after that class. That's another big time i'd "skip" class - if i had a test the hour after it, just to do some last minute preparations and stuff.

You'll figure it out in due time. But early on, just go to almost every class, it will make it easy to figure out things later on.