White Sox Call Up Four

SoxPride56

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...sp&c_id=cws

CHICAGO -- Prior to tonight's game at Kansas City, the Chicago White Sox recalled right-handed pitcher Charlie Haeger, left-hander Boone Logan and catcher Chris Stewart from Class AAA Charlotte and purchased the contract of outfielder Ryan Sweeney from Charlotte.

Haeger, 22, was 14-6 with a 3.07 ERA (58 ER/170.0 IP) and 130 strikeouts in 26 games (25 starts) with Charlotte this season. The knuckleballer leads the International League in wins, ranks third in IP and fourth in ERA and strikeouts. Haeger made his only major-league appearance in a start on May 10 vs. the Angels, allowing five runs in 4.1 IP in a losing effort. He was optioned back to Charlotte following that start.

Logan, 22, was 3-1 with a 3.38 ERA (16 ER/42.2 IP) and 11 saves in 38 relief appearances with the Knights. He began the season with the White Sox, going 0-0 with a 5.68 ERA (8 ER/12.1 IP) and one save in 12 games. Prior to the 2006 season, Logan had never pitched above the Class A level.

Stewart, 24, batted .265 (72-272) with 17 doubles, four home runs, and 28 RBI in 89 games with the Knights in 2006. He was ranked by Baseball America as the Best Defensive Catcher in the Sox organization in both 2004 and 2005 and was a Southern League All-Star at Class AA Birmingham in 2005.

Sweeney, 21, hit .296 (133-449) with 25 doubles, 13 home runs and 70 RBI in 118 games with Charlotte in 2006. The left-hander ranks ninth in the IL in average. The Cedar Rapids, Iowa native was ranked by Baseball America prior to this season as the No. 3 Prospect and Best Outfield Arm in the White Sox system. Sweeney was selected by the Sox in the second round of the 2003 draft.

With the moves, the White Sox have 29 players on the active roster, and the 40-man roster stands at 38.

Four Knights Get Call From White Sox

Charlie Haeger and Boone Logan Rejoin Sox, Ryan Sweeney and Chris Stewart To Make MLB Debut

Press Release from Charlotte Knights

FORT MILL, S.C. – The Charlotte Knights are proud to announce that four players have been recalled by the Chicago White Sox for the September 1 call-ups. Pitchers Charlie Haeger and Boone Logan will rejoin the Sox, while outfielder Ryan Sweeney and catcher Chris Stewart will look to make their major league debuts.

http://www.futuresox.com/frontpage/modules...cle&sid=376

I'm a little torn. I'm happy to see these dudes up (and very excited in Sweeney's case- starting his clock already signals that he might very well be in the plans for next season) but I really would have liked them to get some playoff experience in AAA. IIRC, none of them have been on any highly successful teams since entering professional baseball.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
I'm a little torn. I'm happy to see these dudes up (and very excited in Sweeney's case- starting his clock already signals that he might very well be in the plans for next season) but I really would have liked them to get some playoff experience in AAA. IIRC, none of them have been on any highly successful teams since entering professional baseball.

its much more important that our big league club gets more depth for the playoff run. Now we can pinch run for AJ and not worry about it. Its great to win in the minors, but undoubtedly the majors come first.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)

They're all on a highly successful team in a pennant chase right now.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)

IMO, playing in a major league pennant race will give them >>>> better experience than playing in a AAA race. Shows them how they need to prepare for games, approach wins, losses, good/ bad outings, etc.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
I think Sweeney won't see much playing time. I am looking forward to seeing him though. I also am looking forward to seeing Stewart play although I don't think the plan is to play any of these guys much. If Logan or Haeger pitch a lot, it means something has gone very wrong.

If Sweeney hits from day 1, he could see a decent amount of PT.

Logan will be tried as the LOGGY to start. But he could see important innings if he does well in short stints.

Haeger will be the long man in the pen if guys can't last to the 6th, or for mop up innings with the sox up big [hopefully]. He shouldn't see much time

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
I think Sweeney won't see much playing time. I am looking forward to seeing him though. I also am looking forward to seeing Stewart play although I don't think the plan is to play any of these guys much. If Logan or Haeger pitch a lot, it means something has gone very wrong.

I certainly hope that if they're calling up Ryan Sweeney, they plan on giving him a non-trivial amount of playing time (Hell, if nothing else, I hope we NEVER see Rob Mackowiak in CF again with this guy up). Solely because sitting on the bench and watching a pennant race will not help his development as much as playing in the minor league playoffs, but facing big league pitching in a pennant race may do a lot of good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
I certainly hope that if they're calling up Ryan Sweeney, they plan on giving him a non-trivial amount of playing time (Hell, if nothing else, I hope we NEVER see Rob Mackowiak in CF again with this guy up). Solely because sitting on the bench and watching a pennant race will not help his development as much as playing in the minor league playoffs, but facing big league pitching in a pennant race may do a lot of good.

I have no inside knowledge, and I do know that Ozzie is one of Sweeney's biggest fans, but I really have the feeling he is being called up more as a defensive replacement and a guy who can throw than anything else. I don't think missing the minor league playoffs will hinder his development at all. Sitting on a major league bench and getting into a couple of games even if its only defensively or to pinch run may be better for his progress than facing washed up ex-big leaguers.

Glad to see Sweeney called up. He is one of my favorite prospects. I love his approach at the plate. I hope he hits well enough to give Ozzie something to think about this year, and definately next year for LF.

Boone will be a better option than Damaso Cotts right now.

The first thing I thought of when Stewart was on the list is we can finally PH AJ a bit earlier in a game that Sandy starts and not have Ozzie worry about having Mack catch if AJ gets hurt.

Haeger I am torn on. A knuckler out of the pen???, would of rather had Tracey instead of Haeger.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
Haeger I am torn on. A knuckler out of the pen???, would of rather had Tracey instead of Haeger.

I feel the same way here, i think he should be playing for charlotte in the playoffs. But he should just be a mop up guy.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 1, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)

If Haeger comes up and struggles, he's sent back to the minors next year until someone finally decides they have room to take a chance on a knuckleballer.

If Haeger comes up and succeeds, his trade value goes up considerably...he had a good season in AAA, but a guy throwing a knuckleball won't have the same value as a guy throwing a 96 mph fastball even if they put up identical numbers until the knuckleballer proves he can get big league hitters out. I think he's up to try to build trade value.