White Sox vs. Royals......Goin for the Series

letsgoarow

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iguchi=dank @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
Honestly I don't even blame the pitching staff much these last 2 series, I don't think we've faced 1 pitcher with solid solid stuff. Most of the pitchers have been guys who've sucked pretty much their whole career, and our offense can't do anything.

It would be nice if one of our starters went out and made one or two runs enough for a win though.

QUOTE(shoota @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Some believe McCarthy would have pitched better than at least one of the starters. So that's one adjustment Ozzie could have made that would have improved this year's pitching.

I understand your point that there's nothing Ozzie could do to improve the performances of his starters, but he could have made adjustments to other facets of the team that would have lead to more victories: starting BA in center more often, Mack in LF, and his poor use of the bullpen and Cotts, Riske and Politte.

You can't run Jenks and Thorton out there every day. He had to use Cotts, Riske and Politte.

There's really no proof that McCarthy would have been any better than anyone else. It isn't like he's Liriano. I'm a big fan of McCarthy, but he's still an unproven commodity, as a starter. It's not exactly like he played his way into the rotation during the first half. It's not like his stuff is so great that it's a no brainer. Ozzie pitched the guys that have been available to him and they've failed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
It would be nice if one of our starters went out and made one or two runs enough for a win though.

thats the biggest difference since last year, it seems like our starters did that almost everytime out...this year we have to score 6 or we are gonna lose it feels like

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
I disagree. Ozzie's reluctance to ever pull a starter early has done nothing to help the fatigue from last year's inning toll and the fatigue they've had this season. It's amazing how bad the starters have been considering there's only been one DL stint between all of them this year.

We agree. By stating he's misused the bullpen, I also meant that OG hasn't used it enough. There were dozens of games where I thought OG left his starter in too long.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
You can't run Jenks and Thorton out there every day. He had to use Cotts, Riske and Politte.

There's really no proof that McCarthy would have been any better than anyone else. It isn't like he's Liriano. I'm a big fan of McCarthy, but he's still an unproven commodity, as a starter. It's not exactly like he played his way into the rotation during the first half. It's not like his stuff is so great that it's a no brainer. Ozzie pitched the guys that have been available to him and they've failed.

McCarthy (starter) >>>>> (reliever)

I was skeptical about McCarthy until his spot starts last year at the Major League level. He had a good outing against hte Cubs and was stellar against the Red Sox. I had no doubt in my mind he would crack the rotation in 2006....then we got Vazquez.

McCarthy is meant to be a starter, and in my opinion putting him in the pen for the entire 2006 season is just wasting his talent.

Don't stop...