Has this team quit?

fathom

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
I think everybody knows that when you say quit, you mean they have given up. No need to try to spin it any other way. You've said as much at other times, no need to try and spin it. If you are gonna say it every other post, at least stand by it.

I get a kick out of someone talking about spinning posts when....

Last year they stated that they wouldnt trade buerhle for santana, because at the time Buerhle's ERA was slightly better.

Then this year did the same thing because Contreras was starting off great, and even had a siggy with it. The minute Contreras started getting rocked, the siggy disappeared.

Revisionist history is kewl. You are just upset that you can spin or be oober positive about the dung on the field.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anybody would dispute that there is something wrong with the offense right now. That doens't mean they quit. WHat kind of deduction is that?

It isn't just based on hitting stats. It is performance of the entire team PLUS the way they act, the things they say in the media and how they look in the dugout. They show no intensity at all. They were hungry last year and that hunger has been sated. Have they acted like ANY game this year was a big deal? Have they acted like ANY series this year has been a big deal? Actually, it has been quite the opposite. They have been playing like nothing has been important. They have been continually saying in the media that no game and no series has been particularly important.

2006 White Sox: Ho-hum, is it golf time yet?

The good things from todays game. Was seeing Ryan Sweeney take that sweet swing to the major league level. After seeing that kid in ST in person for the last few years, its nice to see him make it. Hopefully he gets some playing time.

Vazquez pitched a hell of a game.

Sad....that our o didnt show up.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 01:50 AM)
I think everybody knows that when you say quit, you mean they have given up. No need to try to spin it any other way. You've said as much at other times, no need to try and spin it. If you are gonna say it every other post, at least stand by it.

Yep...I'm actually one of the few who hasn't proclaimed "season's over".

I still believe the season is far from over...but what I see from these guys isn't what I'd call quit...they just seem to be really beat down, tired and somewhat unenthused. Primarily from the roller coaster ride that's gone on for well over a year...plus every single team has put a target on their back (ask the Yankees). Don't get me wrong...I'm not making excuses for them. But they just seem to be tired of the rat race so to speak. Is it their job to play well and win...absolutely. But tell me none of you have just been so friggin sick of your job and all the bs that surrounds it at times...you just need a break. I know it sounds crappy when professional athletes fall into this category...but it's really the only thing I can think of going on with these guys right now. Probably THE MOST frustrating season I've ever spent watching any of my teams.

I'd like to say "chin up"...and hopefully these guys will pull up their jock straps and get going. But it's getting down to the nitty gritty and time to nut up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
I see absolutely no hustle by our core players, no urgency by our coaching staff, and just no enthusiasm by anyone on or off the field. It's sad that the only people who are hustling are Ozuna, Gload, Mackowiak, Sweeney, and Sandy. Someone might want to tell guys like Crede, Dye, and PK that the season isn't over at the end of August. The good news is that I have absolutely zero confidence that Guillen can turn this ship around.

I don't get the criticism of Dye and Crede. Both have cooled off a bit but both have still produced lately. I can't blame either one of them for bein tired and/or worn down. Also, with these two I think their personalities are naturally calm and I don't expect them to change their demeaner now. I certainly don't see them slacking out there.

However, PK, AJ, PODS, & Juan exemplify what you are saying better imo. They have not played well and don't have the sense of urgency I expect from them. At least look like you give a s***, and don't shrug when you hit into an inning ending double play with runners on the corners. Also, make a fooking effort to improve your performance - everyone and their dog can tell most of our hitters approach has been abismal lately. PULL EVERYTHING. You'd think that after 2 consecutive double plays (against a AAA pitcher) Paulie would consider going the other way for a base hit.

This team gives the impression that they are entitled to win - and that they don't have to work for it. They will be in for a rude awakening in a month if they don't have a drastic change in performance and attitude.

I'm actually encouraged.

I know, that's nuts. But the hitting will snap out of it, to me that's a given and I think it will happen in short order. Have you ever seen a team look like it had heart and hustle when it's slumping?

The pitching is starting to shine. And if Count turns it around then I'll feel even better heading down the stretch. The way Javy pitched tonight and Jon last night should give us hope.

Pitching > hitting

Pitching wins championships.

:bringit

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
I'm actually encouraged.

I know, that's nuts. But the hitting will snap out of it, to me that's a given and I think it will happen in short order. Have you ever seen a team look like it had heart and hustle when it's slumping?

The pitching is starting to shine. And if Count turns it around then I'll feel even better heading down the stretch. The way Javy pitched tonight and Jon last night should give us hope.

Pitching > hitting

Pitching wins championships.

:bringit

The Chicago White Sox last August/September.

The Chicago White Sox last August.

Yes! The Sox slumped badly in August and well into September of last year and they hustled and showed a hell of a lot of heart night in and night out. They had fire and hunger, regardless of how they were playing at the time. This year's team acts like it just doesn't want it nearly as badly as it did last year.

Another retard calls up the score to profess the problem with the sox is lack of rowand. Because Rowand dove for a ball and Anderson doesnt have to. Moron.

For any person that lacks the insight this is all that needs to be said.

Anderson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rowand in the field.

And Rowand hit .245 in August, and .235 in September. Any child with a slider owned Rowand late last year. How many balls bounced in front of Rowand against the Indians.

Just because someone runs into a fence, doesnt make him a good fielder.

One more rowand call, and I am going to vomit.

We've quit for the past 8 games now. We've gotten the pitching in 6 out of the 8 games, but the offense hasn't even shown up. We're now at the point of fun bad, and all I can do is laugh.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
Another retard calls up the score to profess the problem with the sox is lack of rowand. Because Rowand dove for a ball and Anderson doesnt have to. Moron.

For any person that lacks the insight this is all that needs to be said.

Anderson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rowand in the field.

And Rowand hit .245 in August, and .235 in September. Any child with a slider owned Rowand late last year. How many balls bounced in front of Rowand against the Indians.

Just because someone runs into a fence, doesnt make him a good fielder.

One more rowand call, and I am going to vomit.

I now effin hate Aaron Rowand, the stupid part of our fanbase has left me no choice. Brian Anderson is a better baseball player, I wish people realized that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
We've quit for the past 8 games now. We've gotten the pitching in 6 out of the 8 games, but the offense hasn't even shown up. We're now at the point of fun bad, and all I can do is laugh.

I now effin hate Aaron Rowand, the stupid part of our fanbase has left me no choice. Brian Anderson is a better baseball player, I wish people realized that.

I will love every player from the 2005 team. Let's not forget what they gave us last year - this

'I hate Rowand' crap is bulls***. Don't blame the fanbase for your choice to 'effing hate Rowand'. It's entirely possible for people to like Rowand and what he did for us last year without wanting him back.

Also, Anderson is the better fielder, no doubt, but lets not start saying Rowand was not a good defensive CF'er. He was great - one of the best in all of MLB in a tough place to play CF. His defense was a key ingredient to our success last year (which is why I can't fathom why Ozzie won't play Anderson more often).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:27 PM)
The Chicago White Sox last August/September.

You're right, I forgot about all those threads last year where everyone was praising the effort in a losing cause knowing full well these guys would pull out of the nosedive right before fatal impact and go on to win a world series. No mention of corpse ball, no suggestion of quitting, no accusations of lack of heart, no doubting their chances even if they did manage to back into the playoffs.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
Yes! The Sox slumped badly in August and well into September of last year and they hustled and showed a hell of a lot of heart night in and night out. They had fire and hunger, regardless of how they were playing at the time. This year's team acts like it just doesn't want it nearly as badly as it did last year.

Ah yes, those scrappy sox. They were fun to watch last september.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Ahh yes, an Ozzie defender. Lemme guess, it's not Ozzie's fault the pitching sucked the last 2 nights and you want Rowand back since he was blue collar, whereas Thome k's too much. Right? :(

actually, you're pretty much wrong on all accounts.

i think ozzie has done a poor job with the day to day lineups and the bullpen. i don't want rowand back for thome.

you sure did read a lot into my previous statement about anderson

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Sep 6, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
actually, you're pretty much wrong on all accounts.

i think ozzie has done a poor job with the day to day lineups and the bullpen. i don't want rowand back for thome.

you sure did read a lot into my previous statement about anderson

A plus B normally equal C, however it's good to see that's not the case here. :)