Buehrle

aboz56

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
Buehrle isn't going to win 15 games this year. So much for that guarentee.

The Sox have won 5 no decisions by Buehrle, all of which were quality starts besides the first game of the year against Cleveland, in which the rain delay killed any chance he had at a win.

I'll stick by my 15, even if he doesn't win 15 himself.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Anyone who says Mark Buehrle's option shouldn't be picked up is out of their mind. If we let him go he'd sign somewhere else for about whatever Zito gets this offseason.

dude do you know the market for reliable pitchers in this day and age? AJ Burnett had a career .500 record and got something like 8-9 million a year. Buehrle is an innings eater, and beyond that he has never been hurt. Look what pitching injuries have done to the cubs.

My point: You know what you're getting with Buehrle.

no to mention hes a left handed pitcher

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 06:07 PM)
No, it's because the fall was going to come even without the injury. His last year in Oakland, he gave up a career high in homers, a career high in walks, and a K/BB ratio that was under two, not to mention the fact that he finished with a 4.43 ERA, which is only slightly above league average. He was good last year in St Louis, but I'm questioning whether or not that would hold up in the AL.

Oh, and there's the fact that I think the Sox should aim higher than relying on a hope and a prayer that Mulder heals fully from his injury.

And then there's the fact that Mulder, according to some St Louis and Oakland fans that I've read over at BTF, is apparently a pretty stubborn pitcher who didn't change his mechanics despite pleading from his pitching coaches.

Ever since that hip injury a few years back he hasn't been the same. I don't want Mulder near this team. Anyways, picking up Mark's option is a no brainer imo.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(BainesHOF @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
Giving big bucks to Buehrle after the season he had and all the innings he's pitched in his career makes no sense whatsoever. You sign a guy for what he's going to do not what he did. At this point I have serious reservations whether he can return to all-star form. His arm may be shot.

So do we keep Freddy then? If not, who is taking Mark's place in the rotation?

Edited by Rowand44

No doubt we'll be picking up Buehrle's option. You just don't let pitchers with his talent leave without getting any compensation back whatsoever.

That said, if the Cardinals came to me and offered me a nice deal revolving around Anthony Reyes for Buehrle, that would be something that I would seriously consider.

KW needs to consider how many innings Buehrle has thrown over the past 3 to 4 seasons, and how much stress it has taken on that arm of his which may explain some of his performances this season.

The obvious decision would be for the Sox to pick up Buehrle's option or do a 3 year deal similar to Garland's this year. It will be hard for Buehrle to ask for much more than what Garland got when Garland has out-pitched him the last two years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Garcia is traded even after these two starts. The starts have been a pleasant surprise, but we sure could have used these type of starts in July and August.

Even though those are the obvious decisions. I somehow think KW will move both of them this off season with Pods and Uribe. They will stick McCarthy in the rotation and use the savings of Garcia, Buehrle, Pods, and Uribe to sign a new Starter, SS, and LFer.

This whole situation brings up another question, who starts 2007 Opening Day?

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
You dont just go and trade your Ace of the last 4 years because he had a down year. Thats ridiculous.

I'd say about 85% of the posts around here lately are ridiculous. You would think people passionate enough to post on a baseball site would know a little bit about baseball, but time and time again we see it's not the case. Thanks for bringing some sense to the site Rock.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
Absolutely no way you do not pick Buehrle's option up.

The decision is what you do with Buehrle after 2007. He is a free agent that year.

If you hold onto Buehrle without signing him to an extension, the most you'll get for him is a couple compensatory draft picks. Which is significantly lower than Buehrle's value right now.

I think you have to sign Mark Buehrle to an extension this offseason if you feel there's a good chance he'll return to his pre-June 06 form. If you think he's a 4.50 ERA pitcher for the rest of his career, you deal him now while his stock is still at its peak and he could bring back top-caliber players.

Personally, I try to re-sign him to an extension unless his demands are through the roof...and after this season, I think they might soften a little bit.

But there are 2 things that should not happen. Mark Buehrle's should not be a free agent this season. And Mark Buehrle should not start the next season pitching for the White Sox without an extension.

This makes some sense, but it is going to be VERY difficult to arrive at a proper value for Buehrle's extension based on this year's performance.

The Sox could go on "faith" and pre-2006 performance and offer him Jon Garland's or Jose Contreras's 3-year extension. But would Buehrle take it? And, if we get more of 2006, would he be worth it?

I would be inclined to keep him because (a) there aren't many better options out there, (B) he's not hurt, and © he's had bad stretches before and come out of them. But an ideal contract for the Sox would probably be to blend in his option year with the extension, so that he only gets 3 more years. That's less risk for the Sox and Buehrle should take it because he would be free again in time to land another lucrative contract if he performs well.

Remember when Jon Garland was having a poor start to this season and everyone put up the white flag on him... "Trade Judy Garland" I believe was a common cry. Suck it up and stick with your boys. Jon, Mark, and Jose are locks in this rotation. Getting rid of them is like getting rid of Paul Konerko. Freddy, Javy and BMac are the question marks.

Freddy is making his case, Javy hasn't been as awful as usual (still the best "5th starter" in the league in my opinion). While BMac, our golden boy prodigy is basically digging his team a grave whenever he's put in a situation where he's supposed to be building the ladder out of a hole. Kid's got nothing but high trade value (for whatever reason..) in my opinion.

Keep the starting 5. Ditch Brandon, like we should have at the deadline... maybe then we'd have a leadoff hitter that got on base every now and then... wouldn't that be somethin?

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
Remember when Jon Garland was having a poor start to this season and everyone put up the white flag on him... "Trade Judy Garland" I believe was a common cry. Suck it up and stick with your boys.

the big difference here, is one figured out how to pitch. the other had already figured it out long ago, but is experiencing problems that may be physical.

if you can get a great package for him, he's gone. what separates us from the northside brass is the willingness to let loose the longtime fan favorites, if it means getting a great influx of talent. again, it has to be a good deal. remember, if it's for young, proven talent...then it might free up free agent $$ for us too.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
No, but if he's in the last year of his deal, and he's looking at a very big contract after the 2007 season, you have to consider it.

Yeah, and his down year may give us a chance to sign him at a discount below what market price would be. Is there any team in the MLB that wouldnt want Mark on their team? I dont think so.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Yeah, and his down year may give us a chance to sign him at a discount below what market price would be. Is there any team in the MLB that wouldnt want Mark on their team? I dont think so.

And that's why KW has to try and see what type of extension Buehrle and his agent are looking for. I think it's going to be in the range of 4/48...and that's just too risky for the way he's looked this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
And that's why KW has to try and see what type of extension Buehrle and his agent are looking for. I think it's going to be in the range of 4/48...and that's just too risky for the way he's looked this year.

once again, its ONE down year. He is one of the most consistently good pitchers in the entire MLB. You dont just give up on your best pitcher, your Ace, your staff leader because he had one down year. Mark has a career 3.63 ERA, find me a replacement for that type of production. Every pitcher will have a bad year or two, its called baseball.

I would hold onto all of our pitchers now and see what ST brings and make trade decisions then. Buerhle, Garcia, Contreras, Vazquez and Garland have the talent and I an not sure trading any of them would be the right thing to do. I am not impressed with McCarthy and don't see him as being ready to take over a starting role.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
once again, its ONE down year. He is one of the most consistently good pitchers in the entire MLB. You dont just give up on your best pitcher, your Ace, your staff leader because he had one down year. Mark has a career 3.63 ERA, find me a replacement for that type of production. Every pitcher will have a bad year or two, its called baseball.

If Buehrle were to be moved...IMO, you don't do it because of this season and how poorly he's pitched, unless you know something none of us know about his health that would lead you to believe he'll never be back to where he was in 2005. You do it because the offer you've gotten for him is that good. If you can get a good enough package for him, including a young starting pitcher and a young position player for example (Think Milledge + Heilman quality) then you have to be open to it.

Don't just dump Buehrle for nothing. Don't dump any of them for nothing. Weigh every offer you get for every pitcher, weigh everything you know about each of them, Buehrle's health, Garcia's fastball, Vazquez's brain, Contreras's age, Buehrle' and Garcia's contract status, and then make the smartest deal you can possibly make to improve this team for the next decade. If that involves trading Buehlre, as long as it makes the team as good as humanly possible, then it's the right move. But if the best way to make this team better long-term is to hold on to a potentially dominant lefty pitcher who is on an off year, then do that. (Just don't let Mark enter 2007 without either being traded or extended.)

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
I would hold onto all of our pitchers now and see what ST brings and make trade decisions then. Buerhle, Garcia, Contreras, Vazquez and Garland have the talent and I an not sure trading any of them would be the right thing to do. I am not impressed with McCarthy and don't see him as being ready to take over a starting role.

Holding on to all of them until ST is a terrible, terrible risk. First, you may miss a chance of some team that wants to find another starting pitcher before ST. But more importantly, Garcia and Buehrle are in their contract years. In other words, if either of them reach ST without a contract, they can really hurt the Sox future by just being unwilling to negotiate with the team until the end of the year...thus guaranteeing that they'll hit the Free Agent market. In both Garcia and Buehrle's case, what we could get by trading them this offseason is much, much more valuable than the draft picks we would get if they left as a FA.