White Sox set attendance record

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pr...sp&c_id=cws

White Sox set attendance record

CHICAGO - With 2,957,414 fans attending games at U.S. Cellular Field in 2006, the Chicago White Sox today set a new franchise attendance mark, breaking the previous record of 2.93 million set in 1991. Sunday's attendance was 37,518, the team's 52nd sellout of 2006.

The White Sox averaged 36,511 fans this season, fourth-best in the American League. The franchise-record 52 sellouts shattered the old mark of 18 set in 2005, and the club's sellouts included a string of 22 straight from July 5 through August 18.

"We cannot thank our fans enough for the support and enthusiasm they have brought to the ballpark all season long," said White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. "Everyone associated with the White Sox, from the front office staff to our players in the clubhouse, appreciates this support. Sox fans should be proud of their continued passion for this organization. Your commitment to this team drives us. Thanks, Sox fans."

The old White Sox attendance record of 2.93 million was set in the first year of the new ballpark when seating capacity was just over 44,000 compared to the current 40,615. This season is the eighth time in franchise history that the team has topped 2 million in attendance. The White Sox now have drawn 5.2 million fans over the past two seasons.

"Our challenge is to continue to grow the buzz and excitement associated with White Sox Baseball," said Brooks Boyer, vice president of marketing. "We all understand that responsibility to our fans and to Chicago."

Wow. Congratulations to the White Sox and this fanbase. I predicted this would the the 1st time the SOX ever got 3 Million (and was roundly mocked for it If I recall correctly) and was only off by 42,586. DANG!

Thats basically one more good crowd, and we wouldve done it. 51 Sellouts. Congratulations SOX FANS, thats also a tribute to you too.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
Wow. Congratulations to the White Sox and this fanbase. I predicted this would the the 1st time the SOX ever got 3 Million (and was roundly mocked for it If I recall correctly) and was only off by 42,586. DANG!

Thats basically one more good crowd, and we wouldve done it. 51 Sellouts. Congratulations SOX FANS, thats also a tribute to you too.

and they did it with 4,000 less seats in the ballpark than 1991..

Funny...the Trib is the only paper that DID NOT mention this..yet - they loved to mention our lack of attendance..

QUOTE(tony72 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
and they did it with 4,000 less seats in the ballpark than 1991..

Funny...the Trib is the only paper that DID NOT mention this..yet - they loved to mention our lack of attendance..

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

More than 37,000 fans said farewell Sunday, swelling South Side attendance to a franchise-record 2,957,414. And players responded with a going-away present, hitting five home runs at home for the first time this season. You might say The Cell season closed with a bang.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)

I think you're getting your message boards mixed up. I did a search under your name for "million", "attendance" and "prediction" and can't find your prediction or anyone mocking you anywhere...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
Its a shame the Sox set the attendance record the year they had a 3rd place team. I wonder how season ticket renewals will go.

i think a lot of new season ticket holders were counting on playoff tickets to help suppliment their investment.

Its a shame the Sox set the attendance record the year they had a 3rd place team. I wonder how season ticket renewals will go. The waiting list was a good idea, but another year like this one and I think tumbleweeds will be spotted at USCF at least for the April and September games.

I'm not renewing my share in the season-ticket group I was in this year, but it's got nothing to do with the Sox finishing 3rd.

I need 3 seats, but I'm not going for 3 season seats. I'd rather go to 5 or 6 games with the wife and kid than the 11 I went to with one or the other this year.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
I think you're getting your message boards mixed up. I did a search under your name for "million", "attendance" and "prediction" and can't find your prediction or anyone mocking you anywhere...

heh heh, are you sure? I remember being ripped for predicting 3 million this year. Shoot, I was called off the wall for saying the SOX staff ERA would not allow them to make the playoffs. Thats what makes the SOX blowing it and not making the playoffs so FRUSTRATING, they really had a chance to take this town to another level

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
heh heh, are you sure? I remember being ripped for predicting 3 million this year. Shoot, I was called off the wall for saying the SOX staff ERA would not allow them to make the playoffs. Thats what makes the SOX blowing it and not making the playoffs so FRUSTRATING, they really had a chance to take this town to another level

I think what he's ensenuating that no one here bashed you for those predictions, as you never made them here. But you made them at another board. And if you did make those predictions here and were bashed for them, please point them out.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)

You really didn't start posting regularly here until June. Most of the predictions were made before the season started. I myself predicted somewhere between 2.7 - 2.8 million and never heard a word from anyone.

I'm just thinking that if this happened, it happened on the other board.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
You really didn't start posting regularly here until June. Most of the predictions were made before the season started. I myself predicted somewhere between 2.7 - 2.8 million and never heard a word from anyone.

I'm just thinking that if this happened, it happened on the other board.

yeah, I think Jason was the one who predicted 3 million fans on this board. Without searching for it, I am about 99% postitive of that. I think I said we would come close, but not quite there, and everyone else was way below that. I could be wrong, but that is what I remember.

Would rather win the division with 2.2mm in attendance...

Didn't season ticket holders have to put non-refundable deposits on their playoff tickets which are applied to next year's season tix, effectively they are locked in aren't they? That should keep retention high.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)
Would rather win the division with 2.2mm in attendance...

Didn't season ticket holders have to put non-refundable deposits on their playoff tickets which are applied to next year's season tix, effectively they are locked in aren't they? That should keep retention high.

It definitely should.

There was an option to make your deposit on playoff tickets refundable, but if you did so, you would be giving up your place in line for next year's season tickets. However that works.

Me, I'll be back. Hopefully in the Club Level. But we'll have to see.

Its a shame the Sox set the attendance record the year they had a 3rd place team. I wonder how season ticket renewals will go. The waiting list was a good idea, but another year like this one and I think tumbleweeds will be spotted at USCF at least for the April and September games.

This is Chicago White Sox. It's the "we aren't coming until you show us something". It doesn't surprise me that after winning last year people finally come to the games. I would think that it's common to have better attendance after you win. Also, the attendenace was artificially inflated by the people who had to buy season tickets in order to get the playoff tickets last year. Remember it's how many tickets are sold not how many are at the ballpark.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
This is Chicago White Sox. It's the "we aren't coming until you show us something". It doesn't surprise me that after winning last year people finally come to the games. I would think that it's common to have better attendance after you win. Also, the attendenace was artificially inflated by the people who had to buy season tickets in order to get the playoff tickets last year. Remember it's how many tickets are sold not how many are at the ballpark.

It is common to have better attendance when you win. The team on the northside is the only professional sports team that has managed to figure out how to raise attendance without the help of a winning team or a new stadium.

The attendance increased about 21% in 2005 over 2004. It was also the first time they broke the 2 million mark since 1993 (which coincedentally coincided with a playoff berth and a 2-year-old staduim). Not a bad feat for a team that had a season ticket base of, IIRC, somewhere around 15,000 and were predicted to finish 3rd or 4th.

BTW, I don't know if they count the many comp tickets they give away. If they did, they would probably be over 3 million easy.