A-Rod, what's the asking price

BobDylan

Here's what it would cost to get A-Rod (If you want to know what I call him, PM me):

1. 1 (one) arm.

2. 1 (one) leg.

3. 1 (one) shirt off our backs.

4. 1 (one) of a guy's "twins".

5. All the tea in China.

6. The (entire) farm (system).

7. All of our souls.

No, Jimmy Piersall, you can't :D .

damn espn keeps talking about buehrle/fields and a prospect

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
damn espn keeps talking about buehrle/fields and a prospect

I'd actually make that trade. Assuming we could than swing one of our other bats for a top flight pitching prospect and some other pieces we could use (plus payroll relief).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Where have you seen that?

As do I.

You now have A-Rod on board, and you gave up a guy that could possibly walk next season,and a prospect.

If that was deal the Yanks would be interested in, you pull the trigger, and figure things out from there. It's not often you have a chance to get a Hall Of Fammer in his prime.

The Yanks could probably say the same thing. But in Arod's case, we are talking about one of the greatest players of All Time.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
What you could look to do is Trade Mark and Fields for A-Rod, possibily trade Garcia for a guy like Crisp,then see what the market it is for Joe to get a young, cheap starter and maybe a nice bullpen piece.

Garcia's last couple starts gave him considerably more trade value (since it was pretty low), but I also think they'll make the Sox think long and hard about moving him. Not a big fan of moving Garcia for Crisp but I'd consider doing it if we were able to get a prospect that could help us out or someone else. Or if we are talking about moving Garcia for a guy like Crisp (not necessarily Crisp).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
Garcia's last couple starts gave him considerably more trade value (since it was pretty low), but I also think they'll make the Sox think long and hard about moving him. Not a big fan of moving Garcia for Crisp but I'd consider doing it if we were able to get a prospect that could help us out or someone else. Or if we are talking about moving Garcia for a guy like Crisp (not necessarily Crisp).

I'm not so sure a trade for Crisp would need to involve Freddy. Papelbon is moving to the rotation next year, they'll have Lester/Schilling/Beckett back for sure and I believe Wakefield as well. I do think Crisp could be had, and I would very much welcome it, but Garcia probably wouldnt be the guy. I would think the Red Sox would be looking for a bullpen arm + a ML for Crisp. Thus, I think Cotts might interest the Red Sox more than Garcia.

This would be excellent in that Garcia still would be movable, and could replentish the bullpen.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
So why exactly are we putting ARod at 3rd base now?

You wouldnt, which is why if we traded fields for A-rod with an SP you would HAVE to sign Joe to a long term deal. Anyone who has mentioned trading Joe isnt thinking. If we get A-rod, he plays SS and Uribe is dealt for a bullpen piece.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 06:12 AM)
You wouldnt, which is why if we traded fields for A-rod with an SP you would HAVE to sign Joe to a long term deal. Anyone who has mentioned trading Joe isnt thinking. If we get A-rod, he plays SS and Uribe is dealt for a bullpen piece.

Since when is Wayne Krivsky our GM?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 06:58 AM)
I was shocked by a couple of reports that claim ARod probably can't play good enough SS anymore. Not playing there for 3 seasons would make him rusty IMO, but I think he still would be fine there.

I agree! Its not like he has been DH'ing. Lets see if I get this right,play SS your whole life and you can play 3rd. Play 3rd for 3 years and you can't play SS. Makes sence!

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
I'm not so sure a trade for Crisp would need to involve Freddy. Papelbon is moving to the rotation next year, they'll have Lester/Schilling/Beckett back for sure and I believe Wakefield as well. I do think Crisp could be had, and I would very much welcome it, but Garcia probably wouldnt be the guy. I would think the Red Sox would be looking for a bullpen arm + a ML for Crisp. Thus, I think Cotts might interest the Red Sox more than Garcia.

This would be excellent in that Garcia still would be movable, and could replentish the bullpen.

Don't count on Schilling coming back for sure. I would say it's about 80%. Garcia would probably interest a NL team first, I would imagine...and I don't know if Kenny would want to deal someone to a possible playoff foe.

That being said, if any Chicago team gets ARod...it's going to be the Cubs. Hendry needs to make a splash and if they end up hiring Sweet Lou, ARod will be a natural choice. They can either let Aramis go and have ARod play 3B or move Izturis to 2B and use Cedeno in a deal or vice versa depending on how much they like Cedeno.

And the White Sox don't need more offense, they need pitching.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Don't count on Schilling coming back for sure. I would say it's about 80%. Garcia would probably interest a NL team first, I would imagine...and I don't know if Kenny would want to deal someone to a possible playoff foe.

That being said, if any Chicago team gets ARod...it's going to be the Cubs. Hendry needs to make a splash and if they end up hiring Sweet Lou, ARod will be a natural choice. They can either let Aramis go and have ARod play 3B or move Izturis to 2B and use Cedeno in a deal or vice versa depending on how much they like Cedeno.

And the White Sox don't need more offense, they need pitching.

I keep hearing the Cubs as a possible trade partner with the Yankees but I just don't see it as being realistic. The Cubs really don't have the chips to land Arod unless they'd be willing to move Zambrano which would be completely retarded from the Cubs point of view.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
According to the NY media they don't hang out at all. I read at least 3 articles the past few days which state Jeter can't stand ARod, and most of it comes from his comments a few years ago. In fact, a few writers are really giving it to Jeter now for not supporting ARod publicly when he was booed unmercifully this season, even calling him a bad captain. They pointed out that he defended Giambi with his steroid controversy. The Yankees are a mess, but nothing a few blank checks can't clean up.

The writers in NY are a bunch of irresponsible jokes that create news to one up the other so take them with a grain of salt. Jeter leads by example (Only Yankee that hit against the Tigers), he's not one of those rah-rah type guys in a clubhouse that gets paid 200 million collectively. I don't know why Jeter defended that human guinea pig known as Giambi for but I can understand why he wouldn't come to A-Rod's defense. Hell, could you get along with someone that says you're just a comp player like A-Rod called Jeter in '01? I don't think so either.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing A-Rod in a Sox jersey playing SS :P

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Schilling will be back, absolutely, postively not one single chance he retires this offseason.

I think the better question has to be if Red Sox fans want him back. He was horrible in the 2nd half, and ended the season hurt.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
The last time I sifted through this thread, it had about 5 pages. Is there anything of real substance in it? An actual rumor?

No...we're good at speculating on speculation :)

We would have to give up way, way too much to get ARod. Garcia, Fields and throw-ins isn't going to be half enough. If the Yankees trade ARod, they aren't going to just give him away.

KW loves big trades, but he isn't going to give the team away to get ARod. Nor should he.

Dave van Dyck has an article speculating A-rod to the Sox.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So why exactly are we putting ARod at 3rd base now?

First off, KW has pretty much given a vote of confidence to Uribe.

Secondly, I imagine Crede would be part of the A-rod trade, and with the current 3B free agent market, I can't see the Sox willing to stick Fields at third and move Uribe just to get A-Rod at short.

I would certainly welcome A-Rod here to play third.

A-Rod had the worst year of his career at the plate, Crede had a career year, and the numbers still obviously favor A Rod. Put A Rod where he belongs at SS on defense, get him out of New York, and he's back to one of the 5 best players who ever lived. If you want to turn that down because he's not blue collar like Aaron Rowand, with all do respect, you need your head examined.

With that said, if A-Rod is traded, it sure as hell won't be to us.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
I would certainly welcome A-Rod here to play third.

As would I, but he's a way better defensive SS than 3B, so I'd rather see him there of course.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
Me and my pessimistic mindset. However, we have more pitching to offer than anybody and could afford that kind of move. I just don't want to think about it and get all excited, to be perfectly honest. lol.

Ha, fair enough. I honestly think though all things considered there is at least a decent shot we get Alex(as good a chance as anyone else). Like Tony said, we'll be linked to this all offseason long until the situation gets settled.