Any realistic way to upgrade the starting pitching?

Rowand44

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
I'm not quite Kalapse level of genius, but I like to believe I'm a notch below. :cheers :headbang

Criticize all you want, but realistically, how can you ignore our deficiencies on this issue?

Thirty percent of major leaguers originate from Latin America, yet we haven't signed and developed a contributing player from this area in 10 years? We're not the damn Royals. This is embarrassing, and needs to change.

Travel south of Florida and give yourself a chance to develop pitchers who are out of reach in the draft. Sounds to me like a realistic way of upgrade the starting pitching. May take years for results to arrive, but devoting resources to this issue would prove more beneficial than any ridiculous FA shopping spree.

And this is what I get worried with you here Flash. Results aren't going to happen overnight if we put more $$$ in the region.

Are you going to keep saying "Where's our Liriano" over the next 5-10 years if we don't develop a stud from the region, even though we may be able to develop some fairly solid players (who may be traded because you know KW likes to do that)?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
I'm not quite Kalapse level of genius, but I like to believe I'm a notch below. :cheers :headbang

Criticize all you want, but realistically, how can you ignore our deficiencies on this issue?

Thirty percent of major leaguers originate from Latin America, yet we haven't signed and developed a contributing player from this area in 10 years? We're not the damn Royals. This is embarrassing, and needs to change.

Travel south of Florida and give yourself a chance to develop pitchers who are out of reach in the draft. Sounds to me like a realistic way of upgrade the starting pitching. May take years for results to arrive, but devoting resources to this issue would prove more beneficial than any ridiculous FA shopping spree.

I will tell you what, why dont you name the top 5 scouting teams in latin america, and we shall see how many rings they have won. Scouting is not our problem at all, prospect are overrated, and you need to figure that out.

Its hilarious to think that the reason we didnt win the WS this year is because of our scouting in latin american. its like its Mecca. Haahahhaah

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
Not a bad idea, but his option is going to get picked up.

Mike Mussina-S- Yankees Oct. 13 - 1:34 pm et

The Yankees have reportedly decided not to exercise the $17 million option on Mike Mussina.

Even though Mussina bounced back with a strong year, he's not worth $17 million for 2007. The Yankees are expected to give him a $1.5 million buyout and then attempt to re-sign him to a two-year deal.

Source: SI.com

So they won't be picking up the $17M option but will likely will attempt to bring him back for another 2 years at a discounted rate.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 03:48 AM)
Its hilarious to think that the reason we didnt win the WS this year is because of our scouting in latin american. its like its Mecca. Haahahhaah

Oh yeah, I agree.

Just show me a direct quote of the person who said that so I can truly appreciate the humor. Sure as hell know I never made such a distinction.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 02:37 AM)
Are you going to keep saying "Where's our Liriano" over the next 5-10 years if we don't develop a stud from the region, even though we may be able to develop some fairly solid players (who may be traded because you know KW likes to do that)?

Liriano was aquired via trade anyway, which means we can have "our Liriano" by trading active players.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
I wouldn't be so quick to quit on Vazquez. He had 2 horrible months, June and July, with a 7.50 and 6.82 ERAs (respectively). Every other month he was under 4.

Two horrible months, back to back at that, is a third of the season. You can't just discount that.

QUOTE(shakes @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Two horrible months, back to back at that, is a third of the season. You can't just discount that.

Well when Buehlre has a month with an ERA over 11 another one over 6 and one more in the 4's, Garcia has 3 months with an ERA +5 and another in the high 4's and Contreras has a month with a +7 another +6 and one +4 I think you can be a little more forgiving to Javy for his 2 horrible months.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Well when Buehlre has a month with an ERA over 11 another one over 6 and one more in the 4's, Garcia has 3 months with an ERA +5 and another in the high 4's and Contreras has a month with a +7 another +6 and one +4 I think you can be a little more forgiving to Javy for his 2 horrible months.

And everyone's love child(including mine), Jon Garland, had 4 months with an ERA of 4.50 or higher.

Vazquez was our second best starter all year, and I'm not going to buy any argument against that statement.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
I wouldn't be so quick to quit on Vazquez. He had 2 horrible months, June and July, with a 7.50 and 6.82 ERAs (respectively). Every other month he was under 4.

More like 9 freaking years of this. Up and down, good games and disasters. How can a guy with his arm and stuff be 100-105 life time? Because he is a dog. He managed to be a sub .500 pitcher for a team that won 90 games. You can explain away one season, but he has been mediocre for 9 years, how can you expect him to magically morph into a different guy? He's a loser.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Oct 21, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
More like 9 freaking years of this. Up and down, good games and disasters. How can a guy with his arm and stuff be 100-105 life time? Because he is a dog. He managed to be a sub .500 pitcher for a team that won 90 games. You can explain away one season, but he has been mediocre for 9 years, how can you expect him to magically morph into a different guy? He's a loser.

Maybe because he has trouble getting run support?

For example in the 3 seasons Vazquez had sub 4 ERA's for the Expos he only won 39 games in those 3 seasons.

After what he showed in the 2nd half of the season, the Sox aren't going to trade him you'd have to think.

The most realistic way for the sox to improve their SP is:

1] trading Freddy for the best SP prospect they can

2] inserting Bmac into the rotation--expecting to him to post an ERA under 4.50 for the yr

3] Expecting Buerhle to rebound to his career norms

4] Jon and Jose having ERA's under 4.00

Few guys are out there who are better than anyone the sox have. The cost of getting a SP better than any of the 5 guys the sox will have in 07--eevn with Freddy gone--would be too high, either in a trade or free agency.

But adding SP in the minors who are close to being ready--with a trade of Freddy and probably Josh Fields--would IMO be the wisest plan.

We desperately need somebody like Kenny Rogers/Jamie Moyer.

What do you guys have against signing Redman to a cheap deal and see what he can

do as a veteran?

Sometimes it's about more than numbers. He didn't pitch that bad this past year

with woeful (except against the Sox) KC.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
We desperately need somebody like Kenny Rogers/Jamie Moyer.

What do you guys have against signing Redman to a cheap deal and see what he can

do as a veteran?

Sometimes it's about more than numbers. He didn't pitch that bad this past year

with woeful (except against the Sox) KC.

Jamie Moyer!? That's the Jamie Moyer with the extreme flyball ratio, who gets lit up when he's not pitching in good pitching environments, so in other words, Moyer at the Cell would be a nightmare.

And Redman didn't pitch that bad this season? I don't constitute a 5.71 ERA with a 76/63 K/BB ratio as being "that bad". In fact it's pretty brutal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
Jamie Moyer!? That's the Jamie Moyer with the extreme flyball ratio, who gets lit up when he's not pitching in good pitching environments, so in other words, Moyer at the Cell would be a nightmare.

And Redman didn't pitch that bad this season? I don't constitute a 5.71 ERA with a 76/63 K/BB ratio as being "that bad". In fact it's pretty brutal.

Yeah, the Phils will regret the Moyer deal, but not because of the age and money like people think is why it'll end up dumb. They'll regret it when he gives up 30 homers or so the next 2 years in that ballpark and sees his ERA up around 5. At least the other parks in the NL East are pitcher friendly though (Florida, Washington, Atlanta, New York).

Edited by whitesoxfan101