Rock won't be back

greasywheels121

This was from 9-21:

CHICAGO -- The end of the 2006 season not only could mark the last vestige of the White Sox 2005 championship run, but it also could signal the final days of Tim Raines as a part of the White Sox coaching staff.

Ozzie Guillen announced earlier this season that he would bring back his entire brain trust for 2007 and beyond. But no commitment was made at the time to the current White Sox bench coach.

When approached about the situation Wednesday, Raines diplomatically said that he didn't want to speculate on his chances to return and said he would wait for the end of the season for a decision to be made. Raines also expressed a strong desire to remain a part of Guillen's staff.

Prior to Thursday's series opener with Seattle, Guillen said that no decision had been made in regard to Raines' future. Some of his comments, though, sounded as if Raines' fate already had somewhat been sealed.

"Right now, it's hard for us," said Guillen of the decision with Raines. "I'm going to sit with [general manager] Kenny [Williams] and [chairman] Jerry [Reinsdorf] and see what direction we go, what we need and what we have to get done. Then we decide about it, what we are going to do.

"The quicker we get it done, the better for him and the better for us. Right now, as soon as the season is over, we find out what we are going to do."

Raines joined the White Sox staff prior to the 2005 season and served as the first-base coach for the World Series champions. Guillen switched the responsibilities of Raines and bench coach Harold Baines for 2006, having Raines on the bench to add his take immediately on baserunning situations.

If Raines had his ultimate wish granted, he would return to the White Sox and his initial position as first-base coach.

"I guess I prefer when I'm on the bases because that's what I'm more known as," Raines said. "I enjoy doing that, not to say I don't like what I'm doing now. I would like first base a little more, to go out and be a part of what's going on in the game.

"On the bench, you are a part of the game. If I see something out there, something goes wrong, I'll tell the guys let's do it this way or do it that way. It's really not that big of a deal for me. I just want to be a part of that staff."

Guillen credited Raines for "doing the job he was supposed to do." A decision to make a change would come from the team's desire to go in another direction.

"It's one thing about it, sometime you gotta make the decision," Guillen said.

"I don't think that what happens is going to be because what happened this season," Raines added. "It's whatever those guys want to do. Right now, I have not a clue."

I remmember an interview Rock did on the score about a month and a half before the season was over and Rock had some negative things to say about this years team.At the time I had wondered if Oz or Kenny had gotten mad about his comments.He was talkin pretty negative and we were still in the running.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
IIRC, Steff said Rock was more focused on watching his son play, which is why he wasn't going to sign an extension with the Sox.

That was way back in the offseason

It was pure opinion on my part. He's made a ton of $. Got a ring. When they didn't offer him a deal I assumed moving on would be a good thing for him.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)
I heard Razor Shines name brought up. He would be ideal as a bench coach, and possible successor to Ozzie. He has experience with a lot of the younger players and he seems to be an up and coming manager.

? So now you are bringing in someone to replace Guillen? Doesnt make much sense to me at this point. You need to have someone who has been in the league a little longer and can be an influence on Ozzie and a polar opposite attitude to the players. You can only have so much Ozzie, we need someone who can communicate in a different way.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
Throwing them out there for s***s and giggles. Carlton Fisk, Jeff Torborg, Jack McKeon, Joe Nossek, Buck Showalter, or my favorites Cookie Rojas or Don Zimmer.

Fisk would certainly be the anti-Ozzie. And no doubt he has the head for it.

The questions are... does he even want to coach? And has the bridge between him and Reinsdorff been repaired sufficiently for that?

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 06:40 AM)
I heard Razor Shines name brought up. He would be ideal as a bench coach, and possible successor to Ozzie. He has experience with a lot of the younger players and he seems to be an up and coming manager.

I'd like him as a bench coach, but I still see the Sox finding a spot for Alomar Jr. Shines is the guy I want managing the team. The one thing I'd really like to see is us get a legit, top notch baseball guy on the bench who wouldn't be afraid to ocassionally let Ozzie know he disagrees with something or thinks something can be done better.

Shines could very well be that guy. Its too bad Nossek isn't around cause he would have been that guy. Or like a Don Baylor type. Heck, even a Jerry Manuel type.

The White Sox beat writer was on Chicago Tribune live. He said Raines got canned for not working hard enough. In Anaheim late in the year, he supposedly was taking grounders with the infielders. They didn't mention any candidates, and unless they are going to bring in a guy Ozzie actually would listen to, I don't think it really matters who replaces Raines, although it may be a good thing to keep Shines in the organization.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Ken Macha should be near the top of the list for a bench coach IMO.

The Sox beat writer also said the reason Macha was let go is apparently there is no love lost between him and the players. He also stated that not a lot of guys would want to manage under Beane. Apparently he's so hands on that a manager is nothing more than a puppet. The guy said Ron Washington wouldn't take the job, but that Baker may be a candidate because the A's owner really hates the Giants owner and may want to stick it to him a bit. He said the most likely next manager of the A's would be Bob Gueren, a high school teammate of Beane's.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
The guy said Ron Washington wouldn't take the job, but that Baker may be a candidate because the A's owner really hates the Giants owner and may want to stick it to him a bit. He said the most likely next manager of the A's would be Bob Gueren, a high school teammate of Beane's.

"Walks just clog the basepaths."

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
The White Sox beat writer was on Chicago Tribune live. He said Raines got canned for not working hard enough. In Anaheim late in the year, he supposedly was taking grounders with the infielders.

Raines took grounders with the infielders just about every day when they were here in Chicago so either the beat writer pays no attention at all or he is just fishing for stories that make him seem "connected."

I'm not saying that Rock not working hard enough isn't a valid explanation but to use the incident in Anaheim as an example isn't correct.

QUOTE(OfficerKarkovice @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Raines took grounders with the infielders just about every day when they were here in Chicago so either the beat writer pays no attention at all or he is just fishing for stories that make him seem "connected."

I'm not saying that Rock not working hard enough isn't a valid explanation but to use the incident in Anaheim as an example isn't correct.

Depending on who it is, he may not be privy to the workout here - as the general public is not. I agree that it's BS though.