"Juan"ted Uribe

santo=dorf

Jimmy Rollins would be ideal for us off that list ,everybody else ,eh.Julio Lugo might be a good fit even though i think he has some character issues.Dont want Arod not for what we will have to give up.Joe Crede would be a perfect fit for the Yanks,clutch hitter doesnt mind the spotlight being on him on the field.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shipps @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
Jimmy Rollins would be ideal for us off that list ,everybody else ,eh.Julio Lugo might be a good fit even though i think he has some character issues.Dont want Arod not for what we will have to give up.Joe Crede would be a perfect fit for the Yanks,clutch hitter doesnt mind the spotlight being on him on the field.

Also saw this just before;

New Phillies first base coach Davey Lopes could help Shane Victorino become a better base stealer.

Victorino has tremendous speed, twice stealing 45 bases or more in the minors, but he's yet to show he can be a threat in the majors. If Lopes can help him, Victorino could turn into a fine lead-off hitter.

So maybe they could be open to moving Rollins, especially if they can't move Burrell's contract.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
A-Rod would bat 3rd here. Anyways, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but at SI.com it was said that Alex wouldn't waive his no trade to come here because of Ozzie. Who knows if that's true but it's interesting with out a doubt.

It was said earlier as well. Something about hell freezing over.. ;)

It is amazing how some fans still argue on behalf of Uribe. Let's set aside the murders. By any meaningful statistical measure, he was one of the worst hitters in baseball last year. If a SS plays great defense, he doesn't have to be a great hitter, or even a good hitter. But he needs to avoid being an awful hitter. For the last two seasons, Uribe has been an awful hitter. Please don't make me trot out his stats. It is painful to type them.

This season, he added a bunch of errors to statistical record. That put a chink in the armor of his great defense. The bottom line is that Uribe is a very good defensive SS, but certainly not the best in baseball. His defense doesn't come close to making up for his horrific hitting. He is a major liability for this team.

Great defense + 14 errors + abysmal hitting + $4.15M salary = a bad shortstop

Why would any rational Sox fan want this guy to stay on the team?

Nobody was murdered.But I see how you would want to describe Uribe in the worst possible way cause you cant stand him.

My problem with Uribe has nothing to do with the shootings. In fact, everything I posted about him was about his play on the field. If he were a decent player, I'd have nothing but love for the guy. Unfortunately, he's pretty damned awful. Like I said, shootings or no, I can't see why any Sox fan wants this guy on our team.

As far as I can tell, that's 3 positives and 1 negative.

Really? Great defense is a positive. 14 errors certainly limits that positive. Abysmal hitting is a negative. $4.15M for a s***ty player is also a negative. How awful does this guy have to be before some Sox fans finally get it?

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
Really? Great defense is a positive. 14 errors certainly limits that positive. Abysmal hitting is a negative. $4.15M for a s***ty player is also a negative. How awful does this guy have to be before some Sox fans finally get it?

14 errors for a shortstop is not a negative. That makes him #1 in the AL for least errors among qualified shortstops, and 3rd among AL SS's in fielding percentage. Tell me again how that is a negative? You want errors, look at our last shorstop Mr. Valentin and his 40 errors in one season.

And $4.15M for a starting SS isn't bad, considering he's got 20 HR power and, as noted above, excellent defense.

His hitting is pretty atrocious though, outside the power numbers. I certainly agree on that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 03:39 AM)
So if Uribe ain't going to be our SS next season (and that's a definite possibility, just look at what happened to Urbina), it's time to look at alternatives in the trade and FA market. First the FA's;

Alex Gonzalez - .255/.299/.397

Alex Cora - .238/.312/.298

Julio Lugo - .278/.341/.421

Craig Counsell - .255/.327/.347

And the trade market;

Jimmy Rollins - .277/.334/.478

Omar Vizquel - .295/.361/.389

Alex Rodriguez - .290/.392/.523

Cristian Guzman - Didn't play this season (.219/.260/.314 in 05)

Clint Barmes - .220/.264/.335

Erick Aybar - .250/.250/.325 (only 40 AB's)

Maicer Izturis - .293/.365/.412

You probably acquire a guy like Guzman for basically nothing considering he's got 4M for 2 seasons left on his deal and he doesn't fit into the Nats plans. The Sox could bank on trading for a guy whose value is down like Barmes or Guzman who are being replaced by others and hope they could contribute to the numbers that they have reached before.

If there was a way to acquire Izturis, that would be a good way to go, but I don't think the Angels are going to be giving him up somehow.

Even the thought of Guzman starting for the Sox makes me sick. I'd much rather see any other player on that list instead of Guzman..

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
Neither is Alex. Dye didn't excel out of the 3 spot and neither did the offense. The offense basically started to sputter when Jermaine was moved to the 3 hole. Now I doubt there is a direct correlation there but it certainly wasn't something that was going to make our lineup a whole lot better like some people thought.

Arod may just find himself in the 2 spot in that situation.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
14 errors for a shortstop is not a negative. That makes him #1 in the AL for least errors among qualified shortstops, and 3rd among AL SS's in fielding percentage. Tell me again how that is a negative? You want errors, look at our last shorstop Mr. Valentin and his 40 errors in one season .

And $4.15M for a starting SS isn't bad, considering he's got 20 HR power and, as noted above, excellent defense.

His hitting is pretty atrocious though, outside the power numbers. I certainly agree on that.

OH COME ON IT WAS ONLY 36

But seriously, the greatest defensive SS in White Sox history...so long as you don't consider it Ozzie...frequently made 20-30 errors a year. But he was horrible too.

If Uribe's not coming back, it's not because of on-field performance.

ChiTrib, from the AP -- Uribe questioned, then released.

As Uribe was leaving, he pushed away a Univision camera and shoved an ESPN cameraman in the face. He did not speak to reporters.

An arrest warrant issued Monday for Uribe was voided, but he had to turn over his gun to police and appear back at the courthouse later this week, Lugo said. Uribe was scheduled to report to his Dominican winter league team, the Escogido Lions, on Tuesday.

Uribe and his lawyers told prosecutors he was not in Juan Baron, a coastal city about 40 miles southwest of Santo Domingo, when the shooting took place, Lugo said.

But Antonio Gonzalez Perez, who was at the courthouse, said he clearly saw Uribe and got into an argument with him before seeing the player pull out a gun and fire.