• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
Yes.. what Jackie said..

:rolleyes

:P

Hell, I'm not going to give you or Gage any credit. :D

I was going to jump into the whole argument but I just decided to stay out of it. I'm almost positive you guys are correct, I just can't find anything to back it up at the moment.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Hell, I'm not going to give you or Gage any credit. :D

I was going to jump into the whole argument but I just decided to stay out of it. I'm almost positive you guys are correct, I just can't find anything to back it up at the moment.

Ta-friggin-da!!!!

http://www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper...www.thebatt.com

Texas will pay $67 million of the $179 million left on Rodriguez's $252 million, 10-year contract, the most cash included in a trade in major league history. The Rangers get All-Star second baseman Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named - but they also will pay Rodriguez through 2025.

All the deferred money owed by Texas - $36 million, including salaries from 2001-03 - will be converted to an assignment bonus, which makes the money guaranteed against a strike or lockout. The payout schedule will be pushed back to 2016-25 from 2011-20.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
As to whether it could be renegotiated -- yes, of course, but it is VERY doubtful that MLB would accept any renegotiation that reduced the value of the money passed along. So if the team wanted more up front money, MLB would presumably insist that the total payments up front must have at least the same present value as the deferred payments would have.

Because MLB must approve all trades, there would be no reason to include that language. If A-Rod was imjured and on his way to Vienna for surgery, that money would be too low. If ARod was wearing 5 MVP and World Series wings after winning a couple Triple Crowns, the average mlb salary rose to $12,000,000, then it would be too high. MLB will judge the trade on today's economic conditions, not a few years ago.

Using the theory "The Rangers Pay The Team Alex Plays For" there would be no possibility of changing any of the money unless the Ranger's agree. Making your statement above incorrect.

The Yankees traded Boone and Soriano to the Rangers for A-Rod, Wilson, and $67 million. That trade was agreed to by mlb.

If A-Rod is traded again, it will have to pass all the same hurdles. All the same checks by the Union, MLB, etc. There seems to be an assumption here that the more cash that trades hands makes the deal easier to get passed by mlb. I'm not certain of that. I know it will be pretty damn tough to trade him, and if the Ranger money has to pass through unchanged, it will be made even more difficult, perhaps impossible. That money was based in part on the player's involved and their current stats. Now if the Yankees are forced to trade A-Rod and that exact amout of money sent in that exact manner for X. Good luck.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
Ta-friggin-da!!!!

Texas will pay $67 million of the $179 million left on Rodriguez's $252 million, 10-year contract, the most cash included in a trade in major league history. The Rangers get All-Star second baseman Alfonso Soriano and a player to be named - but they also will pay Rodriguez through 2025.

The reports that say the Rangers will pay the Yankees are all wrong. thebatt.com is the only one to get the story correct. Thanks for finding that quote and being big enough to quote something that contradicted all your previous links that showed the Yankees getting paid. I must say I am surprised.

Unless of course as a condition for approving the trade, MLB did in fact say that the money has to follow Alex Rodriguez no matter where he goes. I do believe that is the debate now. it seems as if ordinarily it would not have to be so, but in this particular case, baseball said it had to be this way in order to approve the trade, for whatever reason, and both teams did in fact agree to this.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
The reports that say the Rangers will pay the Yankees are all wrong. thebatt.com is the only one to get the story correct. Thanks for finding that quote and being big enough to quote something that contradicted all your previous links that showed the Yankees getting paid. I must say I am surprised.

I post the facts as I research them and not bulls*** I think may or may not happen, be true, or make no sense whatsoever but am too bullheaded to back off without a shred of evidence.

Don't be surprised. I'm every bit about being sure to provide as accurate information as I can find.

You should try it sometime. Ya know.. rather than just ASSuming.

And FTR, in none of the articles, including the one I linked above, does it specify that the Rangers are cutting a check to Alex or that they are paying the Yanks who are then passing the funds on. As I stated earlier I have no idea how the compensation payment structure works.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
What's so untouchable about .252/.303/.454/.756, 22 HR, 62 RBI, 54 R in 438 AB? That's actually pretty mediocre especially the OBP which is atrocious. The 22 HR would be tough for him to reach but I don't see a .252 batting average and 62 RBIs as being something unatainable for Josh Fields' rookie year.

you remember clutch and instramental crede was in not only getting us to the playoffs but also helping us win throughout them?

i SERIOUSLY doubt fields to be able to carry a team like "Clutch" did at times in 05

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
Because MLB must approve all trades, there would be no reason to include that language. If A-Rod was imjured and on his way to Vienna for surgery, that money would be too low. If ARod was wearing 5 MVP and World Series wings after winning a couple Triple Crowns, the average mlb salary rose to $12,000,000, then it would be too high. MLB will judge the trade on today's economic conditions, not a few years ago.

Using the theory "The Rangers Pay The Team Alex Plays For" there would be no possibility of changing any of the money unless the Ranger's agree. Making your statement above incorrect.

The Yankees traded Boone and Soriano to the Rangers for A-Rod, Wilson, and $67 million. That trade was agreed to by mlb.

If A-Rod is traded again, it will have to pass all the same hurdles. All the same checks by the Union, MLB, etc. There seems to be an assumption here that the more cash that trades hands makes the deal easier to get passed by mlb. I'm not certain of that. I know it will be pretty damn tough to trade him, and if the Ranger money has to pass through unchanged, it will be made even more difficult, perhaps impossible. That money was based in part on the player's involved and their current stats. Now if the Yankees are forced to trade A-Rod and that exact amout of money sent in that exact manner for X. Good luck.

As for the first part, MLB isn't going to change the terms on a done deal. If they said the money follows, then the money follows, no matter what the value is today.

As for the rest, okay, if the money isn't going through the Yankees, then retiming might not be possible. That's not going to make a huge difference, though, as long as the team is on the hook for only the $64 mil or whatever it is that's left.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
I post the facts as I research them and not bulls*** I think may or may not happen, be true, or make no sense whatsoever but am too bullheaded to back off without a shred of evidence.

Don't be surprised. I'm every bit about being sure to provide as accurate information as I can find.

You should try it sometime. Ya know.. rather than just ASSuming.

And FTR, in none of the articles, including the one I linked above, does it specify that the Rangers are cutting a check to Alex or that they are paying the Yanks who are then passing the funds on. As I stated earlier I have no idea how the compensation payment structure works.

What have you proved? That Alex will continue to get his money and the Rangers will continue to pay? I've agreed to that hours ago. There is a difference in posting facts and the conclusions that are drawn from those facts.

Gee Steff, I just read the links you originally gave and posted a link from Sports Illustrated. I am glad you had the time to research and find that site. It isn't one I normally read, but I am certain it is credible. If they write the Rangers are paying A-Rod and not the Yankees that portion, I'll believe it.

I wasn't assuming, I was pointing out that nowhere did it say the Yankees are obligated to offer the exact same compensation package to the third team that they received from the Rangers. Seemingly, and with great fanfare, :cheers you found a link that reads the Rangers are paying A-Rod and not the Yankees that portion of the contract. In that case the Yankees wouldn't have to send any money in any new deal since they never receive any. At least that was the part in bold and red.

I wonder then why Alex's full contract was added to the Yankee payroll. If the Yankees never receive any of the compensation, and it is paid directly by the Rangers to Alex, as this link proves, wouldn't it be part of their payroll?

I guess some things just can't be explained.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
I wasn't assuming, I was pointing out that nowhere did it say the Yankees are obligated to offer the exact same compensation package to the third team that they received from the Rangers.

A big waste of time, and of no relevance, since the Rangers compensation to Alex has nothing to do with a deal the Yanks may or may not try to make to move him.

This was posted several times in response to SS'er asking about it.

Yes, apparently some things can't be explained.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
I wonder then why Alex's full contract was added to the Yankee payroll. If the Yankees never receive any of the compensation, and it is paid directly by the Rangers to Alex, as this link proves, wouldn't it be part of their payroll?

Not one link I have found states that payment is made directly to Alex by the Rangers.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
Ta-friggin-da!!!!

All the deferred money owed by Texas - $36 million, including salaries from 2001-03 - will be converted to an assignment bonus, which makes the money guaranteed against a strike or lockout. The payout schedule will be pushed back to 2016-25 from 2011-20.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
A big waste of time, and of no relevance, since the Rangers compensation to Alex has nothing to do with a deal the Yanks may or may not try to make to move him.

This was posted several times in response to SS'er asking about it.

Yes, apparently some things can't be explained.

Not one link I have found states that payment is made directly to Alex by the Rangers.

OK Steff, you win. This and every other debate we may have in the future. LOL you are priceless and I love you for it. :headbang :lolhitting

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)
OK Steff, you win. This and every other debate we may have in the future. LOL you are priceless and I love you for it. :headbang :lolhitting

Boy.. you sure are a piece of work.

Just because it says they are paying it doesn't mean they write an actual check and mail it to his house. Men who owe child support pay the state and they forward it on... doesn't mean they don't owe it or pay it to their ex's does it. Lame example but the only one I can think of at this moment.

Is it hard to breath from so high up there on that horse... :rolleyes.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Boy.. you sure are a piece of work.

Just because it says they are paying it doesn't mean they write an actual check and mail it to his house. Men who owe child support pay the state and they forward it on... doesn't mean they don't owe it or pay it to their ex's does it. Lame example but the only one I can think of at this moment.

Is it hard to breath from so high up there on that horse... :rolleyes.

Then why, with all that fan fare and bold red letters post that quote? It was already linked over and over again that the Rangers have to pay. No one disputed that.

:lolhitting red and bold. You must really feel silly now.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Then why, with all that fan fare and bold red letters post that quote? It was already linked over and over again that the Rangers have to pay. No one disputed that.

:lolhitting red and bold. You must really feel silly now.

Mainly because you kept stating that 1. the monetary amount could be changed if he was traded and 2. that the money did not follow him because it was paid to the Yanks, so I wanted to be sure that you were aware that you were wrong.

I don't feel silly at all. Why would I. Exactly what I stated is exactly what is being done.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Mainly because you kept stating that 1. the monetary amount could be changed if he was traded and 2. that the money did not follow him because it was paid to the Yanks, so I wanted to be sure that you were aware that you were wrong.

I don't feel silly at all. Why would I. Exactly what I stated is exactly what is being done.

Which money amount are you talking about? In a new trade with the Yankees, the amount that the third team receives to cover any of A-Rod's contract could be changed. They might receive Yankee money sooner or later than what the Yankees are getting. I still have not seen anything that would contradict that. What would not change is the money A-Rod gets and the money the Yankees receive from the Rangers as part of that trade. The Rangers will continue to pay as they agreed. I never disputed that. That is the cornerstone of my opinion. The money the Rangers owes to the Yankees can not change. But just because Soriano and Boone for A-Rod, Wilson, and 67 million passed all parties a couple years ago, doesn't mean A-Rod plus the remaining $$ will pass the same tests regardless of who he is being traded for. It may take more money, it may take less money.

BTW, kudos for the ASSume earlier, I'm still chuckling. I remember that episode of the Odd Couple when Felix wrote that on the blackboard in court. The next day it seemed like everyone in my third grade class was doing the same thing, Great memory :lolhitting and added much needed humor in this thread.

Another point, the deal was Soriano and Boone, for A-Rod, Wilson, and $67 mil. Would the $67mil stay the same if different players were involved?

What if the Yankees sent two AA players? What if they sent Jeter and Giambi? Still $67mil? If not, then why would it be the same today before we even know what players are involved?

Today,

Trading for Dye would be one thing (great team contract)

Trading for Park would be another (bad team contract)

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)
Go read every post I've made in this thread. It's crystal clear.

Of course by not giving a direct answer, you can change it to anything you like. Great technique. :D It must be the money that the Rangers would never pay the Yankees if the Yanks trade him. It's the money that you believe the Rangers owe to A-Rod and that the Yankees can not change in any trades.

OK, then allow me to be crystal clear.

I ASSume* that the Rangers owe the Yankees as their part of the trade and must pay based on their deal, no changes.

I ASSume the Yankees owe A-Rod his full contract, again no changes unless A-Rod and everyone (Union, A-Rod, MLB, Teams, etc) agrees. A-Rod made concessions to get the Yankee deal done. I ASSume he could make more, although I doubt he would.

I ASSume that A-Rod doesn't have contracts with both the Rangers and the Yankees.

I ASSume that any team taking on A-Rod picks up his contract and also owes A-Rod the remaining amount. He will not have three contracts. His contract is his contract and MLB and the players union has made it very clear that they will not tolerate anything that would lower the pay that A-Rod receives.

I ASSUme the Yankees are free to send as much money as both teams agree on. Based on the players and their contracts, the third team may receive more or less money than what the Rangers are sending the Yankees.

I ASSume that all parties must agree on this new trade just like they did the previous. That the trade must be in the best interest of baseball, etc.

Of course you will nit pick and find something here that you disagree with. I patiently await. However, I'm going out for the evening and won't have an opportunity to play tonight. Have a nice evening.

Tex I don't need to nit pick anything. Every post in this thread from me has been crystal clear and involves Alex and the Rangers and nothing to do with the Yankees. Ironically, the same exact thing Jason stated several time earlier in the thread: rolleyes. I'm sorry you can't comprehend that. Maybe you can get that nosey accountant who sticks his nose into your scouts families financial matters to clear it up for you.

You have a lovely evening as well.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
we should change the title of this thread to texsox vs. steph.....

either that or open up a whole entire new subforum for them

lol

Ehh.. pass. I didn't intend for it to go where it did but my point was being twisted so I wanted to be sure to clear it up.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
I would be concerned about chemistry. A-Rod's a selfish player and I don't think he's a good fit for the current Sox roster.

This has been stated several times by assbags in the media and such but I just don't get it. How in the hell can one be a "selfish player" in baseball? It's not like he's Jamal Crawford and jacking the ball up the second he gets his mits on it or anything. The only thing Alex Rodriguez ever did that was remotely "selfish" was accepting a 10 year $252M contract and who here could say with a straight face that they would not accept such a contract if one were offered to them? If ARod is so damn selfish why did he move to 3B and allow Jeter to keep his spot at SS even though Rodriguez is the superior defensive player at short?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
This has been stated several times by assbags in the media and such but I just don't get it. How in the hell can one be a "selfish player" in baseball? It's not like he's Jamal Crawford and jacking the ball up the second he gets his mits on it or anything. The only thing Alex Rodriguez ever did that was remotely "selfish" was accepting a 10 year $252M contract and who here could say with a straight face that they would not accept such a contract if one were offered to them? If ARod is so damn selfish why did he move to 3B and allow Jeter to keep his spot at SS even though Rodriguez is the superior defensive player at short?

I also think about AJ and the crap that followed him. So far no one on the Sox has claimed he isn't a good team player.

It seems like for now at least this is a dead story, but the Sox did make a very serious run at Alex.

The New York Yankees' involvement in trade talks regarding superstar Alex Rodriguez was brief and apparently is over, according to people close to Rodriguez and the team. And actually, the short-lived discussion might have been limited one serious inquiry from the Chicago White Sox, who called shortly after the Yankees were eliminated to let them know they'd make available one, or possibly two, established veteran starters from this list: Mark Buerhle, Javier Vazquez and Freddy Garcia.

White Sox general manager Ken Williams declined to comment Thursday on any talks he may have had with the Yankees, but since the White Sox are as well-stocked as anyone at third base with Joe Crede and top prospect Josh Fields in the fold, it's very likely they were envisioning a move back to shortstop for Rodriguez. Williams has shown interest before in Rodriguez as a free agent, and the superstar with the $252 million contract also has a close relationship with White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf. The White Sox are intending to trade one -- or possibly two starters -- to make room for top young pitcher Brandon McCarthy and pare their payroll.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman recently told Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras, he has no intention of trading Rodriguez. And even if he did, Rodriguez has no interest in waiving his no-trade clause. Rodriguez said as much following his and the Yankees' disappointing first-round playoff defeat to the Tigers, and Boras reiterated to SI.com on Oct. 18 Rodriguez's intention to stay. "I think a lot of teams want Alex Rodriguez. But the fact is, he has a no-trade, and he wants to stay in New York,'' Boras said. "He likes being a Yankee, he likes playing in New York. He likes the environment, and he wants to win there. He's been steadfast about what he wants to do.''

While the Yankees are desperate to upgrade their starting rotation, every indication is that they are uninterested in trading A-Rod to satisfy their need. The only condition under which the Yankees would even consider trading Rodriguez, according to people familiar with their thinking, is if he reversed course, approached his Yankees bosses and told them he wanted out. And that apparently isn't happening.

Cashman did not return a phone call Thursday. But another Yankees person said regarding A-Rod, "He's not going anywhere.''

But while they won't trade A-Rod to satisfy their need for starting pitching, their search for pitching will be far and wide. The Yankees are not only eyeing Japanese League star Daisuke Matsuzaka, who appears to be their top target, and are considering Barry Zito, SI.com has learned they are also monitoring beloved ex-Yankee Andy Pettitte, as well.

Pettitte's free agency hasn't gotten as much attention as Zito's, or even Matsuzaka's, but that's mostly because it has been assumed that if he pitches next season, it will likely be in Houston. Yet, the Yankees, who pursued Pettitte with caution when he first became a free agent three years ago because of concerns about his elbow, are keenly interested if he's willing to leave his home base. It isn't known what Pettitte's intentions are, but an Astros person has said Pettitte put off their initial inquiries about a contract, before this season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...coop.wednesday/

KW being KW, which IMO is a good thing.

If A-Rod is/was available and you have the things NYY would be interested in you got to at least inquire.

No suprise names, I guess MB a little, but not shocking. It will be interesting to see how they open that spot for B-Mac... I don't see KW trading for prospects only, he'll likely want something that helps immediately at least as a part of a deal.

One name that wouldn't fill the lead-off role, and he's a butcher in LF, but if the Reds ever trade Dunn, I'm sure they would be interested in a quality starting pitcher. I like Dunn, but don't know how he would fit.