Cotts to the Cubs

Steff

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Cubs fans and Hendry must not have seen enough of Neal to be able to judge his talent. He may tear up the NL because it is an inferior league, but from what I saw out of him last year, he is deceptive, and that is all.

Sneaky speed, high heat & he goes up the ladder, that's about the extent of his arsenal. Once hitters learn to take a few pitches, Neal is phucked.

I still think we could have gotten more, but like someone said, we don't know what other deals were on the table. This might have been the best one.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
Logan's offspeed stuff is twice as good as Neal's was. I think that Logan can be much more effective vs LHP than Cotts was.

+1

Personally i think its a fair deal on both sides, our BP now consists of 3 first round picks! Huzzah! each one has been written off as a bust or constant injury risk. Give Coop and Aardsma some time, its very possible Coop seen something in his mechanics and we could be looking at one of the most dominating BPs in the bigs. also we have four guys that can come in for the K at 95+ for both sides of the plate.

RHP Jenks 26 under our control till '11

RHP MacDougal 29 under our control till '09

LHP Thornton 30 under our control till '10

RHP Aardsma 24 under our control till '11

RHP Haeger 23 under our control till '12

I'm not against giving Boone & Phillips a chance in ST for the LOOGY role.

ESP is jamie walker is comanding 3yrs/10mil thats just insane.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
With Jamie Walker going to the Orioles, who will be our other lefty in the pen?

We're putting a lot of faith in Thornton, who is hardly a lock to pitch even as well as he did last year.

Not saying Cotts was untouchable. Am saying we need another lefty in the pen not named Boone Logan.

Lefties hit Aardsmaa at a .196 clip last year. Maybe he is our option against lefties?????

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
Lefties hit Aardamaa at a .196 clip last year. Maybe he is our option against lefties?????

Dude, Ozzie Guillen is still our manager. Lefties could hit .600 off of a lefty pitcher and righties could hit .050 off of him, and Ozzie would still still use that pitcher as a LOOGY.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Dude, Ozzie Guillen is still our manager. Lefties could hit .600 off of a lefty pitcher and righties could hit .050 off of him, and Ozzie would still still use that pitcher as a LOOGY.

Good point. I remeber the Embree experiment "lefties kills this guys but because he throws left handed I'll pitch him any way."

Let's hope last year was a learning experience for Ozzie. Afterall he still is relatively new to managing and like young players he might learn a few things. :pray :pray :pray

I'll reserve opinion on the deal to wait for the grand scheme of things in the spring, but man do i haaaatteeee crosstown trades.

I had been a KW fan before the championship year, liked how he had balls and went for it, but last year there were a couple moves that made me go 'eh' when they were made, and didn't turn out too great. I sure hope he's not slipping

I wouldn't be surprised if this was another case where Coop thought there was something with David that he could fix and let Kenny know, ala Thornton. This is definitely a wait and see deal but I trust Kenny's judgement even though initially I'm not a huge fan of this deal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
He's still a relatively young, cheap lefty reliever who is a year away from one of the best relief seasons in the league. Maybe with a better pitching coach, he'll develop something more than a 91 mph fastball and nothing else.

Exactly... I thought we learned our lesson last year with the bullpen. We gave up Marte, Vizcaino and of course lost Hermanson to injury. Not that Marte and Vizcaino were great, but you can never have enough depth in that bullpen and look how much we scrambled last year to get the bullpen back in shape. Cotts, like Marte, is coming off a tough year, but I think we're giving up too fast here. Those hard-throwing lefties are too hard to come by. Gotta be more patient with them, IMO. Not liking this.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Exactly... I thought we learned our lesson last year with the bullpen. We gave up Marte, Vizcaino and of course lost Hermanson to injury. Not that Marte and Vizcaino were great, but you can never have enough depth in that bullpen and look how much we scrambled last year to get the bullpen back in shape. Cotts, like Marte, is coming off a tough year, but I think we're giving up too fast here. Those hard-throwing lefties are too hard to come by. Gotta be more patient with them, IMO. Not liking this.

I wouldn't put Cotts and hard-throwing in the same sentence.

Edited by Finkelstein

I like the deal. I like Neal, but as others have said, 2005 was probably your classic fluke year. He'll more than likely never duplicate those numbers (although he's in the worse than garbage NL central now). As one who watches Cubs games every now and then (Yes, I admit I watch sometimes), I liked what I saw from Aardsma. I know he was pretty lights-out the last 6-8 weeks of the season. I don't know jack about the other guy we got. So I've got nothing to say about him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if this was another case where Coop thought there was something with David that he could fix and let Kenny know, ala Thornton. This is definitely a wait and see deal but I trust Kenny's judgement even though initially I'm not a huge fan of this deal.

Pretty much. I remember how all of us reacted (especially Cheat) when we traded for Thornton. Let's give this guy a chance.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)

Marte was poop on a stick last year I dont see exactly what we missed. Was it the hiding of injuries, the quitting on the team during the stretch run, or his propensity to plunk a lefty over getting him out.

Not sure why people are ripping this trade. Aardsma is REALLY young and has a great arm, and Vasquez has amazing numbers last year. Cotts is 26, has below average stuff, a lot of wear and tear, and is 3rd on our lefty RP depth chart in a good world (a world where Boone Logan figures out his crap). I don't mind the trade at all.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
Did I just hear that right on the Score, Hendry saying he might think about putting Cotts in the starting rotation?!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

it was also said that he has 4 major league pitches. :bang

Cotts and Buerhle were equally as bad last year. I think Cotts had a mechanical flaw making him very hittable. If Cooper is such a magician, why not keep Cotts? Aardsma's claim to fame is he is now the first player listed in the Baseball Encyclopedia. Cotts was bad in 2006, but I think he'll rebound, although maybe not as a starter. I think the Sox would have been better off holding on to him and deal him after he had a nice 2007 season.