Deep Fried Turkey

RockRaines

For the past 5 years or so I have been making 2 turkeys for thanksgiving, 1 in the oven and 1 in the fryer outside. I have found that every year the anticipation keeps building for the deep fried turkey within my family and friends. Anyone else cook their turkey this way?

This year I am planning on doing a cajun rub with alot of cayenne pepper to kick it up a notch and injecting the turkey with a creole butter marinade. I have a 14 pounder for this purpose.

I have two thanksgivings every year and the one I do with all my friends we do a deep fried bird in addition to a regular one and I think I'm the only one that prefers the regular bird. That siad the deep fried turkey tends to be real juicy, but I like the flavor from the regular bird (cooked in the oven).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
I have two thanksgivings every year and the one I do with all my friends we do a deep fried bird in addition to a regular one and I think I'm the only one that prefers the regular bird. That siad the deep fried turkey tends to be real juicy, but I like the flavor from the regular bird (cooked in the oven).

thats why i usually do two birds. Fact is, I love stuffing, and the only way to get stuffing that I like is by roasting the bird. I find that the deep fried bird is a good way to introduce another great taste into the meal. This year I plan on dropping some hush puppies into the oil as well.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
I've been trying to get my family to do it for years, no dice.

I started doing it right when I got out of college, I bought a kit online for cheap off of ebay, and took it upon myself to start the tradition. My parents were terribly unhappy the first time I did it, but ever since then they have been looking forward to it.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
I like my arteries soft and malleable thanks :)

Funny thing about deep fried turkey.

1. Its made with Peanut oil which is ocnsidered a "healthier" oil and is low or has no trans fats

2. The skin seals out the oil once placed in the fryer which keep the oil out and the juices in.

Per Serving:

Calories: 383

Protein: 45 grams

Fat: 21 grams

Carbs: 1 gram

Sodium: 1116 mg

Cholesterol: 129 mg

Love the fried turkey.

Love the trad turkey.

Way love the brined and smoked turkey ala Alton Brown that we did the last two years. Last year we even did a Christmas goose that way.

This year, we're camping for T-Day, so it will just be a Butterball breast slow-roasted over coals.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
If you really want turkey just go to the Golden Corral... your kid can get a steak and you can have your turkey...

Nahhh, I'm not bent on having turkey. We'll probably have that for Christmas dinner anyway.

My wife makes a fairly kickass stir-fry, so that'll be just fine with me and the little one.

My kid would still want shrimp at a restaurant - she has expensive tastes already, so I'm in trouble when she hits the teen years.

:D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
thats why i usually do two birds. Fact is, I love stuffing, and the only way to get stuffing that I like is by roasting the bird. I find that the deep fried bird is a good way to introduce another great taste into the meal. This year I plan on dropping some hush puppies into the oil as well.

I started doing it right when I got out of college, I bought a kit online for cheap off of ebay, and took it upon myself to start the tradition. My parents were terribly unhappy the first time I did it, but ever since then they have been looking forward to it.

Man, if I didn't know that this was a Thanksgiving thread...

I've had deep friend turkey, but have never done it myself. The first time I had it was in 1998 or 1999. The White Sox came to Birmingham for an exhibition game before the season and one of the Sox players (can't remember which one) hired this guy from South Alabama to come up and cook turkeys for the team. They were by far the best turkey I ever had. Fortunately, I was able to sneak some out of the clubhouse before the game, because the players absolutely destroyed it after the game.

I am cooking a turkey myself for the first time ever this year. Going to do the brine and then add a herb butter mixture underneath the skin. I'm confident it will turn out well, but we shall see.

Anybody ever cooked a turkey in the oven upside down?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 09:08 PM)
I've had deep friend turkey, but have never done it myself. The first time I had it was in 1998 or 1999. The White Sox came to Birmingham for an exhibition game before the season and one of the Sox players (can't remember which one) hired this guy from South Alabama to come up and cook turkeys for the team. They were by far the best turkey I ever had. Fortunately, I was able to sneak some out of the clubhouse before the game, because the players absolutely destroyed it after the game.

I am cooking a turkey myself for the first time ever this year. Going to do the brine and then add a herb butter mixture underneath the skin. I'm confident it will turn out well, but we shall see.

Anybody ever cooked a turkey in the oven upside down?

Your brine turkey is going to rock, Rex. And the compound butter rub is the way to go. Don't skimp on the rosemary!

Never did upside down turkey, but I have done the turkey in a brown paper bag trick (to keep it from getting too brown on the top) with good results.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 21, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
I like myself soft and malleable thanks :)

Makes it easier to remain a virgin

Y'all are missing a treat if you don't deep fry the bird. You have to be careful, that is a lot of hot oil. I've also built a garbage can smoker/roaster and done them on camp outs. Basically build a few (3-4) tubes for the coals and suspend the bird in the middle.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
I shall eschew the pedantic turkey this thanksgiving in lieu of more exotic fare.

Say hello to Vegan Sloppy Joes!

I'm going to have carnifu this year. It's tofu shaped, tofu texture, but made out of the purest form of meat...tube steak.

Seriously, though, I haven't had fried turkey, but am dying to try it. And since this is in the turkey thread...

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!