Scott Podsednik Re-Signs with White Sox

Colorado Sox Fan

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
For the price? I would like to know who you are thinking of, thanks

Ryan Sweeney is better than Pods, and he will play for the mimimum. Or the White Sox could use some of the money they are making by drawing 3,000,000 fans + all the extra revenues, and at least have a major leaguer in LF. Right now the starting OF of Pods at $2.9 million, Anderson at about $400,000 and Dye with his $1,000,000 kicker to get him to $7,000,000 is less than they paid Magglio Ordonez in 2004. In fact, its less than they paid their LF in 1997. Pods is not a good leadoff hitter. He doesn't get on base enough. He doesn't make enough contact, and he now gets thrown out as much as anyone in baseball. It also is petrifying watching him try to play LF defensively.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Ryan Sweeney is better than Pods, and he will play for the mimimum. Or the White Sox could use some of the money they are making by drawing 3,000,000 fans + all the extra revenues, and at least have a major leaguer in LF. Right now the starting OF of Pods at $2.9 million, Anderson at about $400,000 and Dye with his $1,000,000 kicker to get him to $7,000,000 is less than they paid Magglio Ordonez in 2004. In fact, its less than they paid their LF in 1997. Pods is not a good leadoff hitter. He doesn't get on base enough. He doesn't make enough contact, and he now gets thrown out as much as anyone in baseball. It also is petrifying watching him try to play LF defensively.

Sweeney might/should be better than Pods. But I certainly don't want to go into 2007 with him as our starting LF, especially when we have a still devloping Brian Anderson (assuming no trade is made to bring in another CF) in CF.

QUOTE(Hatchetman @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
how about Jack Cust? dude hit 30 HR and 140 BB in AAA. about the same defense as pods. ha ha.

haha seems like cust's name has been thrown out in connectino with the white sox for years....i remember when he was supposed to be dealt for rowand

ill always remember him for having the absolute worst base running play ive ever seen with the Os a few years ago....

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)

So basically, there arent any.

And please show me how Sweeney is better than PODS, I cant recall the full season of MLB baseball that Sweeney played.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
haha seems like cust's name has been thrown out in connectino with the white sox for years....i remember when he was supposed to be dealt for rowand

ill always remember him for having the absolute worst base running play ive ever seen with the Os a few years ago....

That play was great....but Ruben Rivera's base running play takes the cake.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)

Actually, as I recall, the Sox were gonna trade Rowand for Cust, and then deal Cust to Oakland for Erik Hiljus.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm about 99% sure on that one.

They might have been interested in him otherwise, but I'm pretty sure that time they were gonna trade him again.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
Even during the 2005 season when everyone was calling him the ignitor of the White Sox offense, the guy that made the White Sox go, he scored 80 runs and drove in 25. He wasn't in the Top 50 in baseball in OBP or BA. If he was such a distraction on the bases, how come he only scored 80 runs?

Because he missed 20% of the season, was injured for a lot of the second half and was getting thrown out stealing because of it, and the Sox offense was a subpar 9th out of 14 teams in scoring. Pods led the team in batting- nobody else hit .290, Konerko was the only other guy who hit .280. Pods stealing 44 bases in the first half was pretty amazing.

Appearantly Podsednik's .330 OBP is acceptable even though it was the worst for any fulltime leadoff hitter in the AL last year. Then factor in his major league worst 63.8% SB% and that OBP gets even more pathetic.

Consider the horse beaten.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
I wasn't so sure as people have actually believed what he said

This is true, for whatever reason there are a few out there who expect Ricky Henderson type numbers from next year's leadoff man which is never going to happen. I took this as strong sarcasm however.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Pardon me?

Sorry but with all these posts about Pods OBP being to low to lead off added to several other posts in many threads about guys like Figgins, Crawford and Rollins OBP's being to low. I was begining to think we were the only team with out a .400 OBP guy at the top of the order. Hell in 2005 Ichiro's OBP was only .350, it seems like that woudn't have been good enough for many here.

I don't mean for any of this to be defending Pods, but until a better option comes around he is what we got.

QUOTE(supernuke @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
Sorry but with all these posts about Pods OBP being to low to lead off added to several other posts in many threads about guys like Figgins, Crawford and Rollins OBP's being to low. I was begining to think we were the only team with out a .400 OBP guy at the top of the order. Hell in 2005 Ichiro's OBP was only .350, it seems like that woudn't have been good enough for many here.

I don't mean for any of this to be defending Pods, but until a better option comes around he is what we got.

No problem. I actually thought you were serious about your original post. lol.

I have just a few more fun Scott Podsednik stats before I call it a night.

Out of all the players in major league baseball last season who had atleast 465 ABs and 12 SB (35 players) only 3 had a lower OBP than Scott Podsednik's .330 (B. Phillips, J. Barfield, Pr. Wilson.)

Out of all the players in major league baseball last season who had atleast 465 ABs and 12 SB (35 players) only one player had a lower SB% than Scott Podsednik's 67.8% (T. Hunter.)

Out of all the players in major league baseball last season who had atleast 465 ABs and 9 SB (54 players) only one player had a lower batting average than Scott Podsednik's .261 (A. Everett.)

Out of all the players in major league baseball last season who had atleast 465 ABs and 9 SB (54 players) only two player had less total bases than Scott Podsednik's 185 (A. Everett, W. Taveras.)

There's more but I'll end it right there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)

Out of all the players in major league baseball last season who had atleast 465 ABs and 12 SB (35 players) only 3 had a lower OBP than Scott Podsednik's .330 (B. Phillips, J. Barfield, Pr. Wilson.)

Out of all the players in major league baseball last season who had atleast 465 ABs and 12 SB (35 players) only one player had a lower SB% than Scott Podsednik's 67.8% (T. Hunter.)

Out of all the players in major league baseball last season who had atleast 465 ABs and 9 SB (54 players) only one player had a lower batting average than Scott Podsednik's .261 (A. Everett.)

Out of all the players in major league baseball last season who had atleast 465 ABs and 9 SB (54 players) only two player had less total bases than Scott Podsednik's 185 (A. Everett, W. Taveras.)

What's funny is that every one of those others provide some value to their clubs. Phillips and Barfield are both 2Bman (Phillips could be a SS), and Wilson mashes. Hunter's solid defensively, though not nearly as good as he's been in the past, and he too had a pretty solid year at the plate. Everett is a GG caliber SS, and Taveras, as far as I figure, has solid range in CF and a pretty solid arm out there. Podsednik is a below average defensive LFer with mediocre stealing ability who can't hit well. I don't really know if there's any other way around it.

I just hope beyond hope that KW has something up his sleeve, because I'd hate another year of Podsednik

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)

Out of all players last year who played the outfield, he is the only player to prance around to get to a ball instead of hussling and getting underneath it.