White Sox still "enamored with A-Rod"

Steve9347

interesting... I'd do this in a heartbeat.

NY Daily News

...But one source said that White Sox GM Kenny Williams is still enamored with A-Rod and may try to get Cashman interested in Orlando. He might be willing to deal Freddy Garcia and Joe Crede for A-Rod, which would surely be tempting, considering A-Rod's issues as a Yankee.
Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Crede is likely a 25-100 guy who is an elite fielder in the American League and one we probably won't be able to afford to resign because of Scott Boras.

Is A-Rod worth that plus a proven starting pitcher? I don't think so.

I'm all for trading if it would help, but this is a lot better for the Yankees than it is for us.

So let's see;

Ervin Santana and Chone Figgins

OR

A-Rod.

Considering we could MAYBE get a prospect in the 1st deal as well, I know which way I'm heading on this.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
Yeah, we'd be fools to trade an impending FA and a guy who had a career year who won't re-sign here anyway for likely the best baseball player of our time.

I don't see how this makes sense financially, unless you raise the payroll another 20M-30M at least.

And I'd rather get the young pitching in Santana, and let Josh Fields develop at 3rd base (even though I don't think he's ready yet), but that's just me.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
So let's see;

OR

A-Rod.

Considering we could MAYBE get a prospect in the 1st deal as well, I know which way I'm heading on this.

I don't see how this makes sense financially, unless you raise the payroll another 20M-30M at least.

And I'd rather get the young pitching in Santana, and let Josh Fields develop at 3rd base (even though I don't think he's ready yet), but that's just me.

You can have your young pitching and prospects. You seem to love those prospects.

I'll take the guy who is almost without question the greatest player still in the game (you can make an argument for very few players over him).

QUOTE(Drew @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
Joe Crede is likely a 25-100 guy who is an elite fielder in the American League and one we probably won't be able to afford to resign because of Scott Boras.

I'm all for trading if it would help, but this is a lot better for the Yankees than it is for us.

Yet Crede has only hit 25+HRs once in his career and has never knocked in 100. Crede will be 29 next season and has yet to produce a 25/100 season. Where as Rodriguez has already had 10 count them 10/seasons of atleast 35/110 as well as 10 seasons with 15+ SB. A-Rod has also had 5 years with a 1.000+ OPS, even the most optimistic Joe Crede fans have said that Crede will likely never top a .900 OPS during any season of his career because he's just not an OBP type of player. Crede likely has 2 seasons left with the Sox if they don't intend to trade him, after that they'll recieve a couple draft picks and have to find a new thirdbaseman. Garcia is also likely gone after this season if not traded before then. So it's 2 seasons of "bad-back" Crede and 1 season of Garcia or 4 years of Alex Rodriguez at possibly a cheaper price $$ wise than Crede.

I would make that deal in a second, I'm not so sure the Yankees would however.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
So let's see;

OR

A-Rod.

Yeah and there's reports that the Angels turned that deal down meaning it is not likely on the table and there ain't a chance in hell you could also get a prospect thrown in.

If the deal with Anaheim were on the table I'd probably take that one over A-Rod but as of right now, it does not appear to be doable.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)

I wish I could come across a newspaper article which suggests a general manager is "enamored" with one of our starting pitchers.....

Rodriguez's presence would surely compensate for Crede/Garcia's departure, but considering his pricetag -- and the fact this return package neglects our pitching -- I'm not a fan.

I have a simple formula for success: you trade pitching, YOU RECEIVE PITCHING. Regardless of Rodriguez's name dangled. How exactly has our starting ptiching situation improved? Oh sure, in two seasons we'll have Rodriguez at 3B; too bad he'll be unable to pitch when our rotation is anchored by McCarthy/Broadway and several other scrubs.

Only way I could consider myself a fan of such a scenario would be if an additional starter were traded, and one of the following pitchers were obtained: Santana, Pelfrey, Hurley/Danks. I don't care how unreasonable that is, if we're trading Garcia/Crede for Rodriguez, I need assurances that our rotation has a pitcher whom can reasonably help us in the future.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
arod please please please

how long is he under his huge contract? til 2010? :o thatd be Amazing. hes gonna be really good til then to.

His contract does run through 10 I believe, but he also does have an out-clause at the end of next season, and it's entirely possible that with the way the Market has expanded, Boras may decide that he'll make more by opting out and trying to sign a Soriano-sized deal rather than playing out this contract.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Yet Crede has only hit 25+HRs once in his career and has never knocked in 100. Crede will be 29 next season and has yet to produce a 25/100 season. Where as Rodriguez has already had 10 count them 10/seasons of atleast 35/110 as well as 10 seasons with 15+ SB. A-Rod has also had 5 years with a 1.000+ OPS, even the most optimistic Joe Crede fans have said that Crede will likely never top a .900 OPS during any season of his career because he's just not an OBP type of player. Crede likely has 2 seasons left with the Sox if they don't intend to trade him, after that they'll recieve a couple draft picks and have to find a new thirdbaseman. Garcia is also likely gone after this season if not traded before then. So it's 2 seasons of "bad-back" Crede and 1 season of Garcia or 4 years of Alex Rodriguez at possibly a cheaper price $$ wise than Crede.

I would make that deal in a second, I'm not so sure the Yankees would however.

I didn't say I disagreed with trading Freddy and Crede, I don't know if I want to deal them for A-Rod.

QUOTE(iWiN4PreP @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
arod please please please

how long is he under his huge contract? til 2010? :o thatd be Amazing. hes gonna be really good til then to.

A-Rod's contract

He can void the contract after 2007 if he doesn't get an $8mil raise. He probably wouldn't bother, but who knows?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
His contract does run through 10 I believe, but he also does have an out-clause at the end of next season, and it's entirely possible that with the way the Market has expanded, Boras may decide that he'll make more by opting out and trying to sign a Soriano-sized deal rather than playing out this contract.

That about ends this rumor.

If Alex Rodriguez voided the rest of his deal after the 2007 season he'd be passing up $81M over 3 years. I don't care how insane the market is, I just don't see him passing up that sort of cash just to get in on the free agent market. In order to void his deal after '08 or '09 there would have to be someone in baseball with a salary higher than his $27M which there will not be so if he passes up voiding his deal after '07 he will not be able to do so until his deal runs out after '10.

Lets put it this way... Garcia/Crede for A-Rod??? Just think that we could possibly move Uribe in '08 to get Fields at 3rd and move A-Rod over to SS. That would fill that gap that every trade rumor thread keeps coming back to. A-Rod at 3rd in '07 then SS in '08.

Pods or Trade - LF

A-Rod - 3rd

Kong - 1st

Thome - DH

Dye - RF

Iguchi - 2nd

AJ - C

Uribe - SS

Anderson or Trade - CF

This also puts McCarthy into the rotation!!! And would get our Payroll to only around $120M. This makes sense because we get a proven 3rd basemen, dont increase payroll too much, move Guch lower in the order. What could be wrong with all of this???????

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
If Alex Rodriguez voided the rest of his deal after the 2007 season he'd be passing up $81M over 3 years. I don't care how insane the market is, I just don't see him passing up that sort of cash just to get in on the free agent market. In order to void his deal after '08 or '09 there would have to be someone in baseball with a salary higher than his $27M which there will not be so if he passes up voiding his deal after '07 he will not be able to do so until his deal runs out after '10.

The thing to think about may not be the per-year total.

A month ago, I figured if ARod opted out of his deal, he might get something in the $14 mil range for 4-5 seasons. But then I saw what teams were shelling out for guys who don't have near the track record of ARod.

ARod might be passing up $81 million over 3 years, but he might be passing that up in order to sign a deal worth $100-$120 million over 6-7 years, or even more than that. Especially if the market keeps going up.

QUOTE(Drew @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How exactly is Crede "likely" a 25-100 guy when he has never had 100 RBI's in a season, and only had at least 25 homer once? :huh:

In 11 full seasons, A-rod has had 25 HR and 100 RBI's ten times.

God, Crede is easily the most overrated Sox player.

QUOTE(Drew @ Dec 3, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)

you are so off its not even funny.

A-Rod is the second best hitter in baseball save Pujols... just because he has one off year (oh yeah, .290, 35, 121 how horrible) doesnt mean hes not worth two impending free agents...

in his worst year, he was still a better hitter than joe in his best. (.283, 30, 94)...

you can apologize right now

I'm definitely down for this deal to happen. That would be awesome. It sounds ridiculous from the Yankees' perspective, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing a similar deal that's below A-Rod's value just to get rid of him. I'm thinking we would have to throw in something else for this to work though.

If Crede, Garcia, and a yawner of a prospect was all it'd take to pry A-Rod out of the Bronx he'd be gone by now.

Joe Crede trumps Alex Rodriguez in one category out of 60 or so: better defense at 3rd base. To suggest that Crede is in A-Rod's league offensively should warrant the loss of your right to discuss player values.

The big stinker in this deal, as mentioned, is that A-Rod doesnt have to go anywhere he doesn't want to, and he does have an out clause if he wants it, and god knows what he and that monster of an agent have planned. I'd still pounce at the chance if it were ever presented.