Reinsdorf speaks

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
People need to let that f***ing go. Put yourself in a player's position. If you were an MLB player and were drafted to say ... the angels? Your whole life you were a White Sox fan, born and raised. What is wrong with wearing a Sox hat say at the end of the season? Nothing at all. Now if he actually made a comment like I don't want to be in a White Sox uni anymore or I can't wait til I become a free agent and get to become a card then it would be a new story.

I have no problem with him wearing the hat. I also have no problem with Jerry's comment.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
I have no problem with him wearing the hat. I also have no problem with Jerry's comment.

That's the way I see it. I'm a lifetime Sox fan. How can I critcize someone who is a lifetime fan of their favorite team from their childhood? Yet, if I'm JR it's something I have to factor in the equation since I'm the one paying the bills. Understandable on both sides.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
Explain why we would get a lot for a one year rental. Whatever team trades for Mark will get him for 30 starts, and then he is off to FA.

Unless they believe they can sign him. But again they will have to pay top dollar.

I will simply tell you that I'm sure Kenny Williams believes he made a good deal for Freddy Garcia, getting 2 prospects he had rated high.

I'm hoping they resign Buerhle, but think there's not much of a chance of that happening.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
I've never liked Jerry Reinsdorf. Never will.

Yeah, who would like an Owner who has brought 7 titles to the city of chicago, god!!!!!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
AMEN on Mark Buehrle Jerry, even if the people won't like it around here. If he wants to wear a freaking Cardinals cap around, go play for 'em.

If I was drafted by a team other than the sox, I would still wear my hat around for sure. Even my 83 fisk jersey.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 05:32 AM)
Yeah, who would like an Owner who has brought 7 titles to the city of chicago, god!!!!!

If I was drafted by a team other than the sox, I would still wear my hat around for sure. Even my 83 fisk jersey.

How many mlb athletes go around wearing other team's hats and jerseys and going to their games and fan fares while signed with a different team.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 05:04 AM)
Explain why we would get a lot for a one year rental. Whatever team trades for Mark will get him for 30 starts, and then he is off to FA pitch for the Cards

Unless they believe they can sign him. But again they will have to pay top dollar.

I fixed your quote for you :D

I am very happy with JR singling Buerhle out. If only they would have traded him even before Garcia. If you want to wear a Cards hat, then get outta here. See ya later.

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 05:07 AM)
I like Jerry, but I thought the Buehrle comment was dumb if not in the context of a joke, who cares what he wears in the offseason. It's the team he grew up with. Be happy it's not a Twins hat

Have you ever heard of Mulder repeatedly wearing a Sox hat? Some people have the class to understand that as a professional, when you are paid top dollar, you have to behave in a certain way. Certain priviliges are taken away from you for being a professional. Mark B does not get it. And considering how average he looked last year, I hope he is traded next even before Garland. Jon has at least been a good soldier who has taken a lot of abuse from friends and media and still come out being a solid pro.

To give you a comparison, I know for a fact (from friends) that if you wore an Adidas shoe to the Nike office in Portland, OR, you would get fired right there. No questions asked.

I wish there was audio of it. It really depends on the tone. I thought it was real unlikely for Garland to get his though, so who knows. Maybe it was a big joke and they're working on it right now.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
How many mlb athletes go around wearing other team's hats and jerseys and going to their games and fan fares while signed with a different team.

Jered Weaver? some Red Sox members at the ring ceremony? Probably more than you think, but maybe less in public or with someone with a camera around.

Don't see the big deal, are we going to micromanage Mark's life now? That was obviously the fan/personal life aspect. Didn't he wear it for some interview once too? Actually yes, here's the article (including the part I've hear d multiple times where he wouldn't want to play in STL because he's heard that playing for home can really suck

Buehrle has earned quite a bit of notoriety over the past couple of offseasons with his talk of wanting to play for the Cardinals at some point before the close of his career. He even drew criticism for once wearing a Cardinals' hat backward during a television interview in Chicago.

But back in Spring Training, Buehrle made it clear that pitching for the Cardinals was not an option during the prime of his career. He enjoys the peace and quiet of returning to Missouri, without being noticed or bothered by the fans, a balance that would be affected if he signed with the hometown team.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...sp&c_id=cws

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 07:48 AM)
I wish there was audio of it. It really depends on the tone. I thought it was real unlikely for Garland to get his though, so who knows. Maybe it was a big joke and they're working on it right now.

Jered Weaver? some Red Sox members at the ring ceremony? Probably more than you think, but maybe less in public or with someone with a camera around.

Don't see the big deal, are we going to micromanage Mark's life now? That was obviously the fan/personal life aspect. Didn't he wear it for some interview once too? Actually yes, here's the article (including the part I've hear d multiple times where he wouldn't want to play in STL because he's heard that playing for home can really suck

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...sp&c_id=cws

What jersey was Jered Weaver wearing? And the ring ceremony would be the one time I wouldnt mind it because its 1 day your celebrating with a team you won the WS with. If Weaver was supporting the Cards thats different because its his brother and he is a rookie young guy you expect them not to be as professional(think Milledge after his 1st HR).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
Read the quote 3 times, and don't see a thing wrong with it. How often have we talked about Mark walking after the season is over. It's an every day thing around these parts. Jerry is telling it how he see's it, which is the way most everyone sees it

Apparently everyone here who was s***ting on Mark during the WS has forgotten their actions.

:rolleyes

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
He didn't need to say anything about Buehrle, but Reinsdorf has shown the past couple of years he is willing to open his wallet when need be, and letting his GM make decisions in the best interest of the team. Add in the fact that as attendance has gone up, he's been willing to spend more, as well as the fact he and the Sox are involved in numerous programs to help others, he's done a pretty fair job so far.

That and a World Championship.

And TV revenue is way up, sales of Sox Merchandise at all time high, advertising in the park, every scoreboard feature sponsored, attendance up with high ticket prices, making Sox Fest almost a Corporate type event, POOR JERRY>

I agree about the crying in the media. Anyone that thinks Sox investors or management is hurting for $ is blinded by the World Championship and forgetting about all the prior years of failing to make ONE move that could have won a championship. It sure didnt take long to revert to his old ways.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 04:48 AM)
If he wants to wear a freaking Cardinals cap around, go play for 'em.

I was unaware of the dress code for players outside the season. During the season Mark gets to the park every f***in day and puts on his WHITE SOX uniform (including a SOX hat) what the f*** does it matter what he wears when he is not at the stadium??????? If you all are so up tight about what a pitcher wears outside of the stadium you all got some serious issues. HELL, i could have sworn Ryan Howard of the Phillies was wearing a Cleveland Indians Replica jersey on Monday Night Football awhile back... it happend to be Jackie Robinson. Does that mean he should be immediately traded to Cleveland just because Robinson is an idol????

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
I was unaware of the dress code for players outside the season. During the season Mark gets to the park every f***in day and puts on his WHITE SOX uniform (including a SOX hat) what the f*** does it matter what he wears when he is not at the stadium??????? If you all are so up tight about what a pitcher wears outside of the stadium you all got some serious issues. HELL, i could have sworn Ryan Howard of the Phillies was wearing a Cleveland Indians Replica jersey on Monday Night Football awhile back... it happend to be Jackie Robinson. Does that mean he should be immediately traded to Cleveland just because Robinson is an idol????

The White Sox have paid him more money than he will spend in a lifetime to play a game. They drafted him, they spent money developing him. The Cardinals had a lot of chances to draft Mark. They passed. If he wants to be a Cardinal fan, that's fine. But you should show some respect for your current employers. I don't think the CEO of McDonald's would wear a Burger King shirt out to the mall on a Saturday even if, as a kid, he was a huge fan of flame-broiled goodness. This Cardinals stuff has been going on for a while. You would think after the firestorm it always seems to start, Mark would have the common sense to put it away for a while. I think that during the period he still is collecting nice paychecks from the White Sox, at least publicly he should be a White Sox fan.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Someone has to be the voice of reason. Look, I am not big on rich guys whining.

But Gil Meche just got $45 million.

Enough said.

Alot of teams are going to regret their actions of the past month. Let's be glad we aren't going to be one of them.

55 million

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
The White Sox have paid him more money than he will spend in a lifetime to play a game. They drafted him, they spent money developing him. The Cardinals had a lot of chances to draft Mark. They passed. If he wants to be a Cardinal fan, that's fine. But you should show some respect for your current employers. I don't think the CEO of McDonald's would wear a Burger King shirt out to the mall on a Saturday even if, as a kid, he was a huge fan of flame-broiled goodness. This Cardinals stuff has been going on for a while. You would think after the firestorm it always seems to start, Mark would have the common sense to put it away for a while. I think that during the period he still is collecting nice paychecks from the White Sox, at least publicly he should be a White Sox fan.

Mark has performed as a comsumate professional for the Sox. He's shown the Sox and their fans nothing but respect. This is petty bulls***.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
Mark has performed as a comsumate professional for the Sox. He's shown the Sox and their fans nothing but respect. This is petty bulls***.

I don't think being out of shape, which both he and his manager have pointed to as perhaps a reason for his freefall the 2nd half of 2006, is conducting business like a consummate professional. Wearing Cardinal gear to a MLB game and getting photographed wearing it, or declaring your desire to play for the Cardinals is not respectful to the team paying you. He has stated that the Cardinal crap would stop, but just about every offseason, it happens again. That is petty bulls***.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
But you should show some respect for your current employers. I don't think the CEO of McDonald's would wear a Burger King shirt out to the mall on a Saturday even if, as a kid, he was a huge fan of flame-broiled goodness. This Cardinals stuff has been going on for a while.

OK two completely different situations! Come on now, we are talking about fans of a game. f***, the Sox and Cards arent even in the same league!!!! What the hell does it matter its a damn hat, a hat!!! Hell, i would be willing to bet that Mark also has a Card jersey at home in his closet... im a life long sox fan, I have multiple jerseys, but I also have a Griffey Seattle jersey because I think Griffey is and was a great player.. does that mean I have to by Seattle season tickets too??? Hell, i collect hats from every ballpark i have visited, and have worn them... am i a sell out to the sox? NO! Its called a life long love for the game! Mark was born in MO, he has a love for the Cards is nothing wrong with that at all!

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
I don't think being out of shape, which both he and his manager have pointed to as perhaps a reason for his freefall the 2nd half of 2006, is conducting business like a consummate professional. Wearing Cardinal gear to a MLB game and getting photographed wearing it, or declaring your desire to play for the Cardinals is not respectful to the team paying you. He has stated that the Cardinal crap would stop, but just about every offseason, it happens again. That is petty bulls***.

You must live a charmed life if this is the kind of stuff that upsets you. I envy you.

There's just too much whining in here about the Sox' spending (or lack thereof) this winter. Why? Would you rather see them spend like drunken sailors on the likes of Gil Meche or Ted Lilly? What is the point of spending for the sake of spending?

This offseason, following a very financially successful season, a lot of teams are flush with cash in a pretty weak free agent market. So we get what we've seen so far, with teams spending crazy amounts on average to "kinda good" players. The few players who might (and I stress the might) be worth a huge contract still wind up overpaid. If Alfonso Soriano isn't the second coming of Ricky Henderson or Willie Mays, the Cubs overpaid! We all know that Carlos Lee isn't going to run worth a damn now that his wallet is fat. Gary Matthews Jr. has one good season and breaks the bank at my age!

Are these the types of deals you want to see the White Sox making?

I wasn't thrilled with the Freddy Garcia trade, but I see why it was made. The Sox were going to have to drastically overpay to keep him. We all saw how his velocity has declined; why would the Sox commit millions and millions over a long term deal to keep him, or risk getting nothing in return when he leaves? Buehrle has given us a lot of reason to be concerned with his performance last year. There are a lot of question marks about what he's going to bring to the ballpark this year. If he can't do any better than the second half of last year, how will you feel if we are spending $15+ million per year for 4+ years for all that?

Cooler heads have to prevail, here. If the Sox don't spend stupid money on bad contracts, they'll be in a much better position to spend (and even overspend to some degree, if necessary) to lock up a player who's truly worth it when the opportunity comes along. (Vernon Wells? Jermaine Dye? Crede?)

I have faith in KW.

Edited by Balance

Regarding the Buehrle/Cards situation...what if it were a Cub hat he were wearing?

Mark needs to show some common sense and consideration for his employers and fans. If he wants to wear a Cards hat, fine, but NOT when he is in a situation where he is representing his team in public! He knows how upsetting it is to ownership and many of the fans. Can't he exercise a little discretion?

I thought it was all common sense, and apparently it is not, so I suggest JR simply make it a team policy, written in the contract. Don't allow your players to advertise another team in public. They are all rivals and it doesn't even matter if they are in the other league. It is the age of interleague and an age where all teams in baseball compete for the talent, market share, and revenue.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
Regarding the Buehrle/Cards situation...what if it were a Cub hat he were wearing?

Then the same things some of the hypocrites who are bashing Jerry now, and who were bashing Mark when the pic was posted, would STFU.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)

How dare you have an opinion...