Reinsdorf speaks

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)
What jersey was Jered Weaver wearing? And the ring ceremony would be the one time I wouldnt mind it because its 1 day your celebrating with a team you won the WS with. If Weaver was supporting the Cards thats different because its his brother and he is a rookie young guy you expect them not to be as professional(think Milledge after his 1st HR).

While watching Jeff Weaver pitch in the WS, Jared Weaver was the poster child for Cardinal attire. Every stich of clothing was Cardinals.

I get the feeling Buerhle will be signed long term. If so, I wish he would show up in a Cardinal jersey and hat.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
While watching Jeff Weaver pitch in the WS, Jared Weaver was the poster child for Cardinal attire. Every stich of clothing was Cardinals.

I get the feeling Buerhle will be signed long term. If so, I wish he would show up in a Cardinal jersey and hat.

If MB was rooting for his brother to pitch well during the series and if the Sox weren't in it, I could understand it.

Why does it feel like the unity and team spirit from 2005 has evaporated?

We've got Ozzie's mouth running all last year, KW with his talk of ditching the starting five, JR taking a shot at MB, MB and that Cardinal crap...

'05 seems a decade ago.

somehow I keep thinking that it's OK to wear a Cardinals cap if your ERA is under 4 and you win 18-20 games.

But if your ERA is nearly 5 and you win about 12 or 13 games, you might want to ditch the Cardinals hat.

Especially if it's about the 37th time you've been seen wearing it.

Edited by winninguglyin83

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
Money clearly guarantees victory.

Tell the fans a million times payroll is tied to attendance then renig and save all the cash is BS, money needs to go back into team as promised over and over!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
In jerry's words about resigning pitchers currently on team :bang

I read the quote a few times I still don't see anything in there about not having a $100M+ payroll again next season and in the forseeable future. He didn't want to re-rign Garcia, which I don't blaim him for (I sure as hell wouldn't have given him $12M+per), he made what I believe to be a facetious regarding Buehrle's Cardinals fandom and then said you have to jump on the sort of deal the Sox made for Garcia which was getting good young power arms for a guy whom they had no intention of retaining beyond the '07 season.

Jerry is going to spend money, he has yet to say otherwise.

When attendence goes up another 50%, we will be able to support the $150 million payroll it would have taken to sign up all 5 of these guys long term, and then bringing back Joe Crede, Jermaine Dye, a premeir leadoff hitter, another bullpen arm... etc etc.

No where is it stated that payroll is going down, or even not up.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
Why does it feel like the unity and team spirit from 2005 has evaporated?

We've got Ozzie's mouth running all last year, KW with his talk of ditching the starting five, JR taking a shot at MB, MB and that Cardinal crap...

'05 seems a decade ago.

I think the unity problem is with the fans, not the team.

4 days ago...as in 2 before the trade of Garcia...

Buehrle and Garcia both have one year left on their respective contracts, but Williams begged off a question Monday in regard to contract extensions being broached with either pitcher. It's an indirect approach Williams rarely takes, but he was honoring an agreement made with one of the two pitchers not to talk about the negotiations.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
When attendence goes up another 50%, we will be able to support the $150 million payroll it would have taken to sign up all 5 of these guys long term, and then bringing back Joe Crede, Jermaine Dye, a premeir leadoff hitter, another bullpen arm... etc etc.

No where is it stated that payroll is going down, or even not up.

You think payroll is going to go up another 50% ? I don't even think that's possible.

Buehrle's previous comments about wanting to play for the Cards were very unprofessional. That said, JR's comments about him wearing a Cards had to a Cards WS game (nothing wrong with that, IMO) are childish and serve no purpose but to throw gasoline on the fire. If JR and KW don't want to commit the 5/70 it'll likely take to re-sign Mark, fine. But there's no need to go public with that information. It serves no function but to drive MB's trade value down.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
You think payroll is going to go up another 50% ? I don't even think that's possible.

I know payroll isn't going up 50%. But in order to keep status quo with this roster, that is the type of payroll increase we would need to keep this roster intact for the next couple of years. In other words, these type of moves shouldn't shock anyone, and they should be expected.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
I know payroll isn't going up 50%. But in order to keep status quo with this roster, that is the type of payroll increase we would need to keep this roster intact for the next couple of years. In other words, these type of moves shouldn't shock anyone, and they should be expected.

I don't think the trade of Garcia was a bad move - maybe the players involved were not what I was expecting, but the idea itself I understand.

I don't believe we should be trading Garland though 2 years prior to free agency if we're expecting to win right now.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
Buehrle's previous comments about wanting to play for the Cards were very unprofessional. That said, JR's comments about him wearing a Cards had to a Cards WS game (nothing wrong with that, IMO) are childish and serve no purpose but to throw gasoline on the fire. If JR and KW don't want to commit the 5/70 it'll likely take to re-sign Mark, fine. But there's no need to go public with that information. It serves no function but to drive MB's trade value down.

exactly right.

Reinsdorf is the best owner in town. I really hope they can re-sign Buerhle. The money will be there for him, its up to Mark to stay or go however. I'm guessing he will pitch the final year of his contract out here and hopefully we can win it all and he will find it in his heart to stay on the southside and not go to his childhood favorite team. If Pauly could stay, Jon G could stay, I think Mark could stay. I think Buerhle, Crede, Garland and Konerko are the faces of this organizition and KW knows how important it is to keep him. Remember when Boston offered Coco Crisp for him last year during the season? KW just laughed.... its obvious KW has a MUCH higher opinion of Buerhle than he did of Freddy. ;)

I'm amazed even our owner thinks the Cardinal hat is an issue.

Amazing.

Jerry is wrong on that one.

The White Sox don't have to wear Sox hats and jerseys everywhere they go.

It's a free country.

Wasn't that pic of Mark taken by some fan?

It's not like he paraded around telling people to take his pic and proclaiming

his love for the Cards over the Sox.

The guy is a Cardinal fan. Big deal.

That said ... we might as well trade him to the Cards now.

If I was Mark I'd be pissed and not want to pitch for the Sox anymore

after the Reinsdorf slam.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
I'm amazed even our owner thinks the Cardinal hat is an issue.

Amazing.

Jerry is wrong on that one.

The White Sox don't have to wear Sox hats and jerseys everywhere they go.

It's a free country.

Wasn't that pic of Mark taken by some fan?

It's not like he paraded around telling people to take his pic and proclaiming

his love for the Cards over the Sox.

The guy is a Cardinal fan. Big deal.

That said ... we might as well trade him to the Cards now.

If I was Mark I'd be pissed and not want to pitch for the Sox anymore

after the Reinsdorf slam.

I think Jerry was just making a point that Mark will have other places to go including his childhood team. My problem with JR's comments have nothing to do with a stupid hat. It sounds like he is complaining and crying poor. It may be true that it is not realistic to have a payroll of 150 million. Just say they plan on keeping the payroll as high as possible to continue giving the hard working Sox fans their money's worth when they come to the park. Whine about free agent salaries to the other owners.

Funny how Reinsdorf and Williams are now crying poor this off-season after coming off an attendance record in 2006.

This is the typical White Sox behavior before sending a player packing. Slammed Big Frank before showing him the door, same happened with Ordonez...Come spring training, they'll have Hawk on air talking about how the Sox can't afford Buehrle in the "current landscape" of major league baseball...This is not what I would expect a team to do with the face of the franchise along with Konerko.

I thought winning a World Series would perhaps change the approach within the organization and at least show some class to the guys who went out there and won a ring.

But now that the market is being set and it looks as though Buehrle will command at least 13-15 mil a season, let's bring up the old news that he wore a Cardinals hat to a World Series a couple of months ago to start the Buehrle bashing so it'll take some of the negative press away when the Sox fail to open their pockets.

My suggestion would be to start working on a new deal for the best pitcher this organization has seen since Jack McDowell. Anything less is a huge mistake and probably won't ever be forgotten by this fan.