Available Free Agents

RME JICO

I was taking a look at some of the available Free Agents left on the market and came up with a few that piqued my interests:

Backup Catcher:

Toby Hall - C, $2.25Mil 20006 Salary, RH (Lifetime .685 OPS)

Rod Barajas - C, $3.2Mil 2006 Salary, RH (Lifetime .692 OPS)

Todd Greene - C, 700k 2006 Salary, RH (Lifetime .730 OPS)

Robert Fick - C, $850k 2006 Salary, LH (Lifetime .743 OPS)

Another LHP out of bullpen:

Eddie Guardado - LHP, $6.25Mil 2006 Salary

Ray King - LHP, $2.5Mil 2006 Salary

Arthur Rhodes - LHP, $3.7Mil 2006 Salary

JC Romero - LHP, $2.2Mil 2006 Salary

Scott Schoeneweis - LHP, $2.75 206 Salary

Other Relievers:

Dan Kolb - RHP, $2Mil 2006 Salary

Ryan Franklin - RHP, $2.6Mil 2006 Salary

Leftfielder/Centerfielder:

Shannon Stewart - LF, $6.5Mil 2006 Salary (Lifetime .364 OBP)

Steve Finley - CF, $7Mil 2006 Salary (Lifetime .333 OBP)

Todd Hollandsworth - LF, $900k 2006 Salary (Lifetime .328 OBP)

Preston Wilson - LF, $4Mil 2006 Salary (Lifetime .330 OBP)

Darin Erstad - CF, $8.75Mil 2006 Salary (Lifetime .341 OBP)

What do you guys think, anyone worth a look? Do you think any of these guys fit the KW/Ozzie mold?

I thought that Todd Greene looked pretty interesting. Had some pretty good numbers for 2006, is cheap and RH. Ray King or Arthur Rhodes? Shannon Stewart's lifetime OBP was also surprising.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/freeagents?type=avail

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Ray King would be nice if he could be his old self, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Greene's splits for RH/LH are basically equal. I'd take a back-up catcher that could hit .250...how's his defense?

I thought I remember hearing that Greene is one of the worst throwing catchers in baseball. Is Preston Wilson really a FA? Also, don't be surprised if Erstad is a possibility. KW loves him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
I thought I remember hearing that Greene is one of the worst throwing catchers in baseball. Is Preston Wilson really a FA? Also, don't be surprised if Erstad is a possibility. KW loves him.

Yes, Wilson is a Free Agent, he signed that deal with the Astros and then was cut mid-season, the Cardinals signed him for the rest of the year as a stop-gap measure.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
Yes, Wilson is a Free Agent, he signed that deal with the Astros and then was cut mid-season, the Cardinals signed him for the rest of the year as a stop-gap measure.

Needless to say, I would be happy if we got him. I can't believe we still haven't secured a 4th outfielder after this debacle we saw last season.

I'd love J.C. Romero as a strict LOOGY but only as a LOOGY. His 3 year splits vs lefties are still outstanding including last year which was the worst season of his career overall.

Splits vs lefties:

'04: .264/.350/.358/.708 | 121 PA

'05: .198/.308/.267/.575 | 120 PA

'06: .202/.298/.303/.601 | 104 PA

I doubt however that Ozzie would be willing to only use him against lefties.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
I doubt however that Ozzie would be willing to only use him against lefties.

Isn't it absolutely amazing how Ozzie will go to great lengths, even lose ballgames, in order to get the lefty-righty matchup with his lineup, but then he'll leave Neal Cotts in against a righty who is 3/3 with 3 home runs in his career against him?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
Isn't it absolutely amazing how Ozzie will go to great lengths, even lose ballgames, in order to get the lefty-righty matchup with his lineup, but then he'll leave Neal Cotts in against a righty who is 3/3 with 3 home runs in his career against him?

That's because he's the f***ing manager and he does things his way no matter what you moron fans think.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)

If you know more than him, then why aren't you the manager of the White Sox?

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
Yep, like I fear, we won't upgrade our 4th outfield position. I saw Terrero play quite a bit last year, and never did he strike me as a MLB caliber player.

Was that when he was at the majors or when he was hitting in AAA for Ottawa (because he had some pretty nice numbers to finish off the season with in AAA IIRC).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 02:56 AM)
Was that when he was at the majors or when he was hitting in AAA for Ottawa (because he had some pretty nice numbers to finish off the season with in AAA IIRC).

It was when he was in Ottawa. He definitely ended up strong, as his numbers were mediocre around the ASB. I just can't imagine him being our 4th outfielder having to face the tough lefties in our division.

With Backup catcher off the "Want - Need" list, here are a few FAs still remaining:

LHP Reliever:

Other Relievers:

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
Huff is supposedly looking for a little more than $7M per over 3 years.

That sounds like a bargain in this free agent market - I'm not sure how he is defensively, but he can't be any worse than Pods - of course, if we did sign him, and he played LF, who would bat lead off then ?

Free agent Aubrey Huff has reportedly lowered his asking price from $36 million for four years to $23 million for three.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 06:22 AM)
With Backup catcher off the "Want - Need" list, here are a few FAs still remaining:

LHP Reliever:

Other Relievers:

That's one terrible list. The only guy that would make any kinda sense is Wilson. And I'm not sure he would be down with a reserve role.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
That sounds like a bargain in this free agent market - I'm not sure how he is defensively, but he can't be any worse than Pods - of course, if we did sign him, and he played LF, who would bat lead off then ?

Free agent Aubrey Huff has reportedly lowered his asking price from $36 million for four years to $23 million for three.

I'll taken my chances on Pods rebounding over Aubrey Huff, a guy who's been in decline every year since 2003, (aka when steroid testing was implimented) in LF. Especially at 7+ million dollars a year for 3 years. Yuck.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

I would take a flyer on Huff on a 1 year deal at about $4-5 million a year as a backup, but no more than that. Not when we have Fields, Sweeney, Podsednik, Owens, Anderson, and for this year JD who all should be able to put up equal or better numbers than him for less money (owens is a close call, but the speed could be useful).