McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
People are doing a ridiculous amount of defending a guy who has yet to pitch more than half a season as a starter in the majors. He could be good. He could break down. How will he react to 200+ innings? Can he make it?

We keep going back & forth on this deal, but the counter-point to that is to say the exact same thing about Danks. As far as I can tell, Danks has never pitched over 155 innings in a season. He could be a concern just as much...ya never know.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
We keep going back & forth on this deal, but the counter-point to that is to say the exact same thing about Danks. As far as I can tell, Danks has never pitched over 155 innings in a season. He could be a concern just as much...ya never know.

Not to mention Danks hasn't had the same success in the minors as Brandon did. Time will tell. This very well could be the defining trade of Kenny Williams. Hopefully it works out.

Im still not completely sold on this trade but the more I hear and read about it the less insane it gets. It does seem, however that it will hinder us next year but we will be stacked after that.

SOmeone else on this thread posted about how it would be irrelevant if our 1-4 dont play well anyway. I just wish we would of done more to improve the everyday players like an outfielder or shortstop.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
People are doing a ridiculous amount of defending a guy who has yet to pitch more than half a season as a starter in the majors. He could be good. He could break down. How will he react to 200+ innings? Can he make it?

As Balta suggested, you can't use this argument -- at all -- considering Danks and Masset haven't proven s***.

The Rangers paid heavily to get him

That is the reoccuring theme down here in Texas. No one here I have spoken to thinks the Rangers won this trade. They all think the Sox swindeled their GM. Thank can't believe the organization traded Nolan Ryan's second coming.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
As Balta suggested, you can't use this argument -- at all -- considering Danks and Masset haven't proven s***.

I don't think that's his point. In B-mac, Danks and Massett -- you have 3 highly touted, extremely talented pitchers who haven't really proven anything at the major league level. But many are acting like Brandon is proven.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
I'm not referring to Danks or Masset at all.

Let's not enter this ridiculous set of Steff-semenatics where we argue the true meanings of people posts for four pages. Complete waste of time.

What you use to interpret McCarthy's future can just as easily be used towards the prospects we acquired from Texas. Sure, you didn't mention them directly, but what you essentially used as an argument also applies to what we received.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
I don't think that's his point. In B-mac, Danks and Massett -- you have 3 highly touted, extremely talented pitchers who haven't really proven anything at the major league level. But many are acting like Brandon is proven.

He's not, but even his limited amount of innings is more than Danks or Masset. McCarthy has shown an ability to pitch as a starter once his changeup is harnessed.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
Let's not enter this ridiculous set of Steff-semenatics where we argue the true meanings of people posts for four pages. Complete waste of time.

What you use to interpret McCarthy's future can just as easily be used towards the prospects we acquired from Texas. Sure, you didn't mention them directly, but what you essentially used as an argument also applies to what we received.

He's not, but even his limited amount of innings is more than Danks or Masset. McCarthy has shown an ability to pitch as a starter once his changeup is harnessed.

I'm more or less getting at that he's suddenly all-world to many people once we trade him...

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Danks>Mac, bottom line.

Just to clarify, the basis for this is entirely the fact that Danks is lefthanded and a couple of scouting reports, right? I haven't been able to figure out any additional advantages Danks has over BMac. BMac gave up fewer homeruns and walks while striking out more batters with a lower WHIP and ERA in the minors. He reached the majors at 21 which is Danks' current age. The one pervasive argument I've heard in support of Danks is that he has the better stuff which allows him to project as a #1 whereas BMac projects as a #3. It just doesn't add up to me though that a guy who struck out over 10 batters per nine innings in the minors has mediocre stuff that limits his ceiling.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
That is the reoccuring theme down here in Texas. No one here I have spoken to thinks the Rangers won this trade. They all think the Sox swindeled their GM. Thank can't believe the organization traded Nolan Ryan's second coming.

Funny 'cuz up here we've lost Black Mack McDowell, apparently.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)

So if Danks or Masset had pitched a couple of good games against major league competition the trade would be OK? That's essentially what Brandon has done to this point. The only Brandon people want to remember is the back-to-back gems he threw against Texas and Boston in 2005.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
So if Danks or Masset had pitched a couple of good games against major league competition the trade would be OK? That's essentially what Brandon has done to this point. The only Brandon people want to remember is the back-to-back gems he threw against Texas and Boston in 2005.

And the game where he went pitch for pitch with Johan for 8 innings.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
And the game where he went pitch for pitch with Johan for 8 innings.

Well, that basically came against an AAA lineup. But OK. Let's give him that one, too. That's still just a few starts.

And let me make it very clear that I was and still am a big B-mac fan. But, for the right price, anybody is fair game.

The bottom line is like Rogers wrote, the Sox could have addressed some needs with a trade

of BMac instead of stockpiling prospects.

I thought KW was all about winning titles NOW and he didn't trade BMac for Soriano last year

when Soriano could have helped us get our head out of our ass the second half and maybe

win a repeat title.

We should have gotten Young in the trade for BMac.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)
The bottom line is like Rogers wrote, the Sox could have addressed some needs with a trade

I thought KW was all about winning titles NOW and he didn't trade BMac for Soriano last year

when Soriano could have helped us get our head out of our ass the second half and maybe

win a repeat title.

I hope you don't mean in addition.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)

win a repeat title.

And 95% of this board would've been demanding that Kenny be fired for failing to re-sign him and, for all intents and purposes, giving away Brandon for a 3-month rental. Or are you saying we could've re-signed him for, hmmm, let me take a shot in the dark here -- 8-years and $136 million? As far as Young goes...Kenny has made it quite clear that he will not trade any pitching from the roster unless he gets pitching in return.

Phil Arivia joins the hate crew

Now as mad as I am about bmac going, I understand what Massett and Danks are. Top of the line prospects. Maybe some of the morons out in the media should actually learn a thing or two about not to rely on certain numbers like ERA and ERA only. Like how many of the media realize that Danks has 2 variations on his curve. One that bites more that the Rangers havent really let him let loose with yet.

QUOTE(joejoedairy @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
so can we get freddy back now?

Sure on your xbox, go to options, trades, and then go to the Phillies icon, move the cursor on the Garcia player, and then trade him for whomever. Remember if you are attached to other sox players, you might want to create a player so you dont get upset when he gets traded.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
Phil Arivia joins the hate crew

Now as mad as I am about bmac going, I understand what Massett and Danks are. Top of the line prospects. Maybe some of the morons out in the media should actually learn a thing or two about not to rely on certain numbers like ERA and ERA only. Like how many of the media realize that Danks has 2 variations on his curve. One that bites more that the Rangers havent really let him let loose with yet.

I don't think that's entirely true. Massett was only rated the 8th best prospect in the Rangers' system. He's an exciting relief prospect but he's not one of the top 100 prospects in baseball most likely so it's tough to refer to him as "top of the line."

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
I don't think that's entirely true. Massett was only rated the 8th best prospect in the Rangers' system. He's an exciting relief prospect but he's not one of the top 100 prospects in baseball most likely so it's tough to refer to him as "top of the line."

He's rising based on his Mexican League performance.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
And 95% of this board would've been demanding that Kenny be fired for failing to re-sign him and, for all intents and purposes, giving away Brandon for a 3-month rental. Or are you saying we could've re-signed him for, hmmm, let me take a shot in the dark here -- 8-years and $136 million? As far as Young goes...Kenny has made it quite clear that he will not trade any pitching from the roster unless he gets pitching in return.

We have a winnar!

If BMac went for Soriano, we'd have no shot at resigning him in this crazy ass offseason and KW would have had one testicle sent to the Sun Times and the other to the Trib by rabid Sox fans before they strung him up for trading the sudden inside track pitcher for the CYA and that is going to singlehandedly change a division for a three month rental.

And correct me again since we're on the same page, Jordan -- the offense didn't seem to be the problem. It was the pitching that kept wetting the bed.

We had an unproven pitcher that had a handful of good games and was never in the rotation. Nobody knew or knows if he'll be able to handle that load and pressure. We got what we could for him, especially if he proceeds to wet the bed.

And let's keep overvaluing our own players please.

I personally thought we should have gotten Pujols, Rolen and Edmonds for him straight up or perhaps with a throw in prospect.