McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

Another thing I think KW is reaching for a little here besides stockpiling for the future...that one or two of these guys steps up like it seems like the youngsters in Oakland have in recent years or Bonser in Minny did last year. It could happen. Have a little faith my brothas.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
Another thing I think KW is reaching for a little here besides stockpiling for the future...that one or two of these guys steps up like it seems like the youngsters in Oakland have in recent years or Bonser in Minny did last year. It could happen. Have a little faith my brothas.

Your really reaching with that comment there...

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I think he would likely have been as good as Garcia was in 2006. I don't think any of the pool of pitchers who are now going to compete for the 5th starter spot can come close to that in 2007.

Kenny Williams: working hard to give you another championship in 2010

I think you could be right about him being the equivalent to Garcia v. 2006 but I think that he'd receive the same amount of vitriol (from many of these same complaining posters, coincidentally) for not turning "it" on immediately as was seen on this board over the past years with Garland, Garcia, Crede, Contreras, etc. when they were having difficulties/struggles.

KW -- damned if you do and damned if you don't with a lot of these people.

From KW Press Conference:

"For the right deal, I think that you can find a match for anyone. That's why you never want to use the word 'untouchable'."

"We were bowled over. It was an obvious decision for us to make."

"These are conversations [about Danks and McCarthy] that go back over a year."

"No I'm not," entertaining offers for the other 4 starters.

Sisco likely to be first guy out of bullpen, so he can use all his pitches and help prepare him as a potential starter. "[He] will be part of the club."

The team might consider trading pitching for "other pieces [we] might need" in July.

It is hard to even believe anything KW says anymore.

But if we don't go after some farm prospects from time to time (especially with KW's hard on for trading prospects in almost every deal the past few seasons), wouldn't it mean that eventually we'd have to really restock with some trade bait studs or we'd be scrambling for farm talent to trade?

Eventually you have to restock a little bit too. If more prospects were not had and KW kept up his habit of trading them for proven talent, then it would eventually lead to a bigger detriment to a current year's team when he would be forced to trade on-the-field talent for other talent due to a lack of farm league talent being available.

I don't think it wrote off 2007 yet. It's still December, folks. There's time for things to still be done so let's not get our panties in a bunch just yet. (Not talking to you, SH1980 there with the last comment -- just other people and didn't feel like turning it into another post)

Yes, you have to restock your farm system from time to time. But you don't make your team worse in a good contending year so that you can load up on prospects. 2007 was going to be a potential WS contention year for the Sox. And KW's moves have made the 2007 team worse. Building for the future is good, but you do it at the right time. You do that when the team is not in contention or when you have such a surplus of talent that you can afford to make the trades.

H. Christ.

Man, I defended KW on the Garcia trade. I liked the concept of getting Gio back, getting Floyd, etc. I like the concept of getting younger in the rotation. I was ready to even deal with Haeger in the 5th starter slot.

I even understand the concept of this deal. 2 pitchers for the price of one, not a terrible concept.

That said...Congrats to Texas, I think they just won the AL West.

I hate this deal. Even if Danks comes out solid, I despise this deal.

I think you could be right about him being the equivalent to Garcia v. 2006 but I think that he'd receive the same amount of vitriol (from many of these same complaining posters, coincidentally) for not turning "it" on immediately as was seen on this board over the past years with Garland, Garcia, Crede, Contreras, etc. when they were having difficulties/struggles.

KW -- damned if you do and damned if you don't with a lot of these people.

I think it is pretty hard to defend KW so far this offseason. He has traded away major league talent for prospects when we are a potentially WS contending team. He has made the 2007 team worse so that the future can be brighter. (I know I am repeating this a lot, but it seems like some people simply refuse to believe this reality).

This has to mean that Crawford was just not available for McCarthy + right now.

It also has to mean that someone has an awful lot of confidence in Gavin Floyd and Charlie Haeger.

BTW, for everyone jumping off a ledge in regards to 07', do you really think there is going to be THAT much difference between what Brandon would have accomplished and what his replacement does? Brandon v. Charlie Haeger? I doubt the difference would be as large in wins and losses and many here would believe.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
I just don't understand why you do this trade. B-Mac is only 23, has had plenty of Major League seasoning, and isanincredible starting pitcher.

You do it because of a few possible reasons:

1. You're completely throwing in the towel for 2007, and you want to be ready with a dominant team from 2008-2012.

2. You get 2 arms in exchange for 1.

3. You get a lefty starter in exchange for a righty in a division with Mauer, Morneau, Hafner, and Sizemore.

4. Maybe you like Danks better than McCarthy.

5. Maybe your manager despises McCarthy.

6. Maybe someone else really dislikes McCarthy.

7. Maybe you have another potential deal lined up.

The sad fact is, the only way I can possibly see this deal helping the White Sox in 2007 is if option #7 is true. There is no way this makes us better next year unless we deal these guys for a position player.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
BTW, for everyone jumping off a ledge in regards to 07', do you really think there is going to be THAT much difference between what Brandon would have accomplished and what his replacement does? Brandon v. Charlie Haeger? I doubt the difference would be as large in wins and losses and many here would believe.

Hell, I love the concept of throwing Charlie into the bullpen this year, but yes, I think there will be a huge difference between the performance of Charlie Haeger and Brandon McCarthy next year. Or Brandon and Floyd, Brandon and Danks, Brandon and anyone else you name. Just from watching Brandon the last 2 years, I think he's going to wind up being one of the best pitchers in the AL.