McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Another stupid decision.

It'd make more sense to place Haeger in the bullpen as the long reliever and have Sisco in Charlotte. If your quotes are correct, they plan on leaving him in the rotation to work on devleopintg his pitchers for an upcoming spot in the rotation. Okay, but wouldn't it make MORE sense to put him in the minor leagues where he can do the same thing without the inconsistent workload? Nah, just stunt the growth of another starter.

I still think Sisco will start in Charlotte.

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
I'm with you...something else is coming. Don't forget, Kenny had that 1AM meeting with Cashman. I bet Cashman said 'We'd love to have Crede, Broadway and DAnks'....now we can do it.

Ok, that probably didn't happen. I'm just hoping that a big name player is coming for some of these pitchers.

Cashman woulda said McCarthy.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
We are all so worried about the 5th starter next year, but lets face it, Jose is going on the DL next year at some time....this 5th starter problem will quickly become a 4th and 5th starter problem. We better resign Arnie Munoz fast.

Well, the good news is that in the event we need the 6th starter, we have an enormous amount of nearly-MLB-ready starters sitting down at AAA in Floyd, Broadway, Danks, Phillips, etc. So what we might be missing in terms of an obvious #1 candidate we do make up for in depth.

I can't wait until Ken Rosenthal posts another article criticizing one of our offseason moves.

I predict the following sentence: "As one rival AL GM told suggested, '[Williams] vastly undervalued his own starter. Trading McCarthy will come back to haunt them."

I'm sure Baseball Prospectus will have a delightful twist on it as well.

Not that any of it matters, of course. Just have to revel in a move which is dismissed across the entire baseball world.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
Well, the good news is that in the event we need the 6th starter, we have an enormous amount of nearly-MLB-ready starters sitting down at AAA in Floyd, Broadway, Danks, Phillips, etc. So what we might be missing in terms of an obvious #1 candidate we do make up for in depth.

right, just like the arnie munoz, danny wright, etc. depth that worked so well in 2003.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Another stupid decision.

It'd make more sense to place Haeger in the bullpen as the long reliever and have Sisco in Charlotte. If your quotes are correct, they plan on leaving him in the rotation to work on devleopintg his pitchers for an upcoming spot in the rotation. Okay, but wouldn't it make MORE sense to put him in the minor leagues where he can do the same thing without the inconsistent workload? Nah, just stunt the growth of another starter.

I'm not crazy about a knuckleballer coming out of the bullpen.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
right, just like the arnie munoz, danny wright, etc. depth that worked so well in 2003.

I'll take any of Haeger, Broadway, Floyd, Danks, Gio, and Heath Phillips (who I think are our top 6 AAA and up starters) over anyone who pitched for this team in the 5th starter slot in 2003/2004.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm not crazy about a knuckleballer coming out of the bullpen.

It worked for us pretty well in September last year, and Haeger would have been an excellent changeup from the other 5 fireballers in our bullpen.

But that doesn't really look possible now that we need him in the rotation.

So let me get this straight, we have people talking about how Bmac isnt proven, or isnt Cy Young. Yet we are so f***ing sure that the return is going to be, come on now.

I just threw up in my mouth when I heard this. We keep getting rid of players, yet Ozzie stays. Holy f***ing s***.

Pods in left, sure that makes sense. Having our startering 9 play about 30% of the time, sure. Now we are trading people just because the Ozziero has conflict.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:58 PM)
The airing of greviences just got better.

I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it! Kruger my son tells me your company stinks! you couldnt smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe....

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
So let me get this straight, we have people talking about how Bmac isnt proven, or isnt Cy Young. Yet we are so f***ing sure that the return is going to be, come on now.

I just threw up in my mouth when I heard this. We keep getting rid of players, yet Ozzie stays. Holy f***ing s***.

Pods in left, sure that makes sense. Having our startering 9 play about 30% of the time, sure. Now we are trading people just because the Ozziero has conflict.

i havent really been reading this thing, but is it a fact that brandon got traded because ozzie doesnt like him? i dont even know that ozzie doesnt like mccarthy....can someone point me where that was said?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it! Kruger my son tells me your company stinks! you couldnt smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe....

i havent really been reading this thing, but is it a fact that brandon got traded because ozzie doesnt like him? i dont even know that ozzie doesnt like mccarthy....can someone point me where that was said?

Ozzie Guillen, last year, right before we fell out of the playoff hunt.

"If [starting McCarthy] went through my mind, we would have done it already," Guillen said. "I think those five guys we bring -- put it this way, if we throw those five guys from my starting rotation in the air, they won't land. Somebody would pick them up.

"Everyone talks about McCarthy. Last year we threw McCarthy, and he wasn't too good either. OK? Check the records. Thank you. Everyone thinks McCarthy is [blank]-damn Cy Young."

"I don't think McCarthy has the stuff and experience right now," Guillen said. "I don't start McCarthy in front of those guys yet. In the future? Yes. But right now? No, I don't think he should."

Oh, 1 more thing to say:

By Brandon. Thanks for those awesome games in 2005. The back to back shutouts against Texas and Boston, the 8 inning 1 run duel against Johan in September, polishing off Cleveland on the last day.

Man I wish I got to watch you pitch for us more.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)

I still dont like this trade at all. I kept reading here Ozzie doesnt like Brandon, where do you guys base that on?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
Chisoxfn -- you alledge inside information which may have necessitated this move. I don't want to pry, but I believe many here would appreciate if you could atleast give a slight clue. PM me if you're not willing to post it.

I bet the information is that our organization knows it f***ed up McCarthy's development by placing him in the bullpen and rather than spend more time off his arb clock to fix him, they'd rather get a pitcher of similar stature who hasn't hit the bigs yet.

I could be wrong.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
I think that Haeger could be as productive as a McCarthy if given the opportunity

Me too. In my mind...McCarthy=Kip Wells. If McCarthy goes a full season with Texas...I predict his record will be around 11-16.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
I bet the information is that our organization knows it f***ed up McCarthy's development by placing him in the bullpen and rather than spend more time off his arb clock to fix him, they'd rather get a pitcher of similar stature who hasn't hit the bigs yet.

I could be wrong.

I was worried about hte same thing until McCarthy had that start at the end of the year and still dominated.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)

I could be wrong.

McCarthy hung out a lot with Anderson. They would party until the wee hours. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Usually when you give up the best player in a trade, it turns out not to be a good one. Danks has a chance to be really good. BA says he has a ceiling of being a #2 starter. If Ozzie doesn't think McCarthy was any good, he's probably not going to like what he sees from Danks/Sisco/Floyd in 2007. I understand trading for prospects, but that's what KW has highly-paid under-performing starters for. This trade to me is no good, unless its a precurser to something else.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't wait until Ken Rosenthal posts another article criticizing one of our offseason moves.

I predict the following sentence: "As one rival AL GM told suggested, '[Williams] vastly undervalued his own starter. Trading McCarthy will come back to haunt them."

I'm sure Baseball Prospectus will have a delightful twist on it as well.

Not that any of it matters, of course. Just have to revel in a move which is dismissed across the entire baseball world.

Just like the Carlos Lee trade?

Not too sure what to think of this deal. Danks sounds good, but McCarthy will be missed.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Just like the Carlos Lee trade?

Not too sure what to think of this deal. Danks sounds good, but McCarthy will be missed.

The Carlos Lee trade wasn't just about talent switching teams. It was also about money. It freed the White Sox up to pick up some more pieces. Those acquisitions could and should be considered part of that trade. This trade didn't do that. There obviously is something more to this story.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)

I could be wrong.

Indeed, wrong.