McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

I overreacted to the Garcia trade and with time, it has grown on me. I flipped out over the original Garland rumor that didn't involve Hirsh. I shocked by this move, but I'm going to trust that KW knows what he is doing. He really wanted Danks and Masset and there may be more to McCarthy that we do not know. The Sox sure are stacking up the arms and the offseason is not over yet.

Thanks McCarthy! Wish you well!

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
Anyone think the Sox will use the acquisition of Danks as leverage in a future drafting of his little brother?

It certainly might have an impact. Other teams might shy away from him, thinking Jordan would hold out for a sox deal. You see how guys drop into the teens just because of money. No team wants to lose their 1st round pick.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Yeah, but still..it's the principal of the trade that irks me. We wouldn't trade B-Mac to the Rays for Crawford/Rocco, but we'll put our chips all-in on prospects?

Hey, like I said, I'm not sure what to think. But I'm glad we didn't give up Brandon for a rent-a-player. I just have to hope that these guys pan out, and in the short term.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Yeah, but still..it's the principal of the trade that irks me. We wouldn't trade B-Mac to the Rays for Crawford/Rocco, but we'll put our chips all-in on prospects?

What makes you so sure that Crawford/Rocco were available for Brandon?

Is the object for KW to get as many 300,000 a yr starters in the rotation, I hope there is a plan B because with attendance great last year the message I am getting is so what and let our free agent to be starters go because JR doesn't want to pay for success.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Danks split last season between Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Oklahoma, where he combined to go 9-9 with a 4.24 ERA in 27 games (26 starts). He has a career minor league record of 21-30 with a 4.20 ERA in 92 games (82 starts).

Question:

Did Danks pitch in pitcher friendly parks ???

The PCL parks are hitter friendly, and the California league parks (where he pitched part of 2005). He has always been young for his league. He has gotten off to slow starts at every level, probably needs at least another half-year in AAA.

I don't like this trade, but I don't think I hate it. I'm a big, big Massett fan. He could be a real solid reliever for us this year. I'm not looking forward to the possible fifth starter merry go round though. And for all the people who have been complaining about are system, it's definately top 15 now, maybe even higher.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)
Well my only question is who now is our 5th starter.

If this is March and we're asking the same question, I'll be right with you all rabbling. However, it's the evening of 12/23 so we've got a while.

I'm fairly certain that something is in the works with this much time left.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
I'm sure Baseball Prospectus will have a delightful twist on it as well.

I assume you meant that BP would bash KW because of this deal? Quite the opposite. In fact, the past couple deals -- for Gonzalez, Floyd, Sisco, and now Danks/Masset -- has made KW a lot of fans in some 'saber-circles' (right or wrong).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
I assume you meant that BP would bash KW because of this deal? Quite the opposite. In fact, the past couple deals -- for Gonzalez, Floyd, Sisco, and now Danks/Masset -- has made KW a lot of fans in some 'saber-circles' (right or wrong).

Surprised me quite a bit. Article doesn't even mention Masset.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)

Neyer will love this deal because Haeger may well get his shot in the rotation.

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but this basically guarantees that Mark is gone after 07'.