2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
Son of a b****, there's nothing I hate more than when my sports world is brought to a screeching halt due to some f***ing exclusive rights contract.

Ridiculous. I could see giving away something as pointless as video game rights. But this? Well f*** this. Those behind such a move have to be mentally retarded, or else they would realize they are screwing over potentially millions of fans. And it's not like someone would go through the hassle of switching media outlets just because of this either.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Son of a b****, there's nothing I hate more than when my sports world is brought to a screeching halt due to some f***ing exclusive rights contract.

You got to be freaking kidding me. I can live without the ability to get the NFL (and to be honest Its cheaper for me to go to the bar) Ticket but I have no other option for baseball (because watching it on a computer blows balls...its not bad as a rare alternative but I would never be able to watch all of the games on line because the quality is so shady).

FUDGE...this really blows cause I got a sweet deal with cable and I'm not a fan of actually having to buy equipment. Is this going to start this baseball season or do we at least get another year? God this blows. I f***ing hate DIRECT TV

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
You got to be freaking kidding me. I can live without the ability to get the NFL (and to be honest Its cheaper for me to go to the bar) Ticket but I have no other option for baseball (because watching it on a computer blows balls...its not bad as a rare alternative but I would never be able to watch all of the games on line because the quality is so shady).

FUDGE...this really blows cause I got a sweet deal with cable and I'm not a fan of actually having to buy equipment. Is this going to start this baseball season or do we at least get another year? God this blows. I f***ing hate DIRECT TV

It applies for the 2007 season and the next 6 years after that.

I saw that a couple days ago and I'm still pissed off about it. Basically they are weeding out/forcing the most diehard of baseball fans, and it makes zero sense to me.

I suppose the NFL has been doing the same thing for years, but I just don't get why MLB would do such a thing.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 07:38 PM)
I saw that a couple days ago and I'm still pissed off about it. Basically they are weeding out/forcing the most diehard of baseball fans, and it makes zero sense to me.

I suppose the NFL has been doing the same thing for years, but I just don't get why MLB would do such a thing.

It's a financial move. DirecTV buys the rights from the MLB, and the MLB will always get more money from DirecTV than they will from the consumer. DirecTV does it because they then own a monopoly on Extra Innings, thus if you wish to buy ExtraInnings, you must also purchase DirecTV.

Business wise, it's a good move for both MLB and DirecTV. It's a coldass move by MLB for those of us with digital cable.

(FWIW, I just enjoyed the games in the first week of the season and the week after the ASB. It's still s***ty)

How much is MLB.TV? Should we get back at the MLB by splitting up the bill and sharing an account?*

*Note to MLB executives. I'm not being serious as Soxtalk does not condone piracy, copyright infringement, or fraud.

:ph34r:

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 06:54 AM)
Well that kills any Joe Crede deal with Anaheim.

i would think this would just reaffirm it, Kotchman hasn't lived up to the hype and now McPhearson is out for all of 07, Shea is a butcher at 3B, and i guess hes passable at 1B, figgins is "teh" suck at 3B. Fields is ML ready, and now that Crede has a price attached to his name for this season he can be delt.

I'm all for seeing Aybar and Sean Rodriguez coming back to Chicago, Sean can take over 2B full time next year when Iguchi goes to FA, Aybar can take over for uribe this year or next if he sits in the minors for a year.

I'd love to see the sox sign JD up for 3-4 possibly even 5 years, and move him to LF and let Ryan take over in RF in 08.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jan 23, 2007 -> 07:14 AM)
i would think this would just reaffirm it, Kotchman hasn't lived up to the hype and now McPhearson is out for all of 07, Shea is a butcher at 3B, and i guess hes passable at 1B, figgins is "teh" suck at 3B. Fields is ML ready, and now that Crede has a price attached to his name for this season he can be delt.

I'm all for seeing Aybar and Sean Rodriguez coming back to Chicago, Sean can take over 2B full time next year when Iguchi goes to FA, Aybar can take over for uribe this year or next if he sits in the minors for a year.

I'd love to see the sox sign JD up for 3-4 possibly even 5 years, and move him to LF and let Ryan take over in RF in 08.

Fields isn't ready, and would leave KW without a backup plan.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
It applies for the 2007 season and the next 6 years after that.

You got to be freaking kidding me.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 22, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
Dallas McPherson will miss most of the season

He waited way too long to do this. His back has prevented him from being a consistent 40 HR a year guy. God he had the abliity to be good, real good.

If anyone cares, former ChiSawx Miguel Olivo and Joe Borchard were both retained by the Marlins for whatever reason.

Both are awful. Olivo is one of the worst defensive catchers out there and its likely his mediocre 2006 was a career year. I expect him to really regress at the plate. Borchard has power but strikes out a ton. Has a strong arm but sucks defensivley.

We also still have Sergio Mitre from the Cubs, who is quite possibly the worst pitcher I have ever seen....the fact that he wasnt good enough to pitch for the cubs should of been a red flag. Terrible.

Need to quit picking up crap off of Chicagos scrap heap(I know Olivo and Borchard had already moved on and were someone elses garbage, but still).

Our flagship signing so far was Aaron fricking Boone and giving Olivo $2 million, which is laughable when you have to think an arbitrator wouldnt of awarded him anything more than $900K, and thats being generous.

The Rockies and Red Sox are in talks about a potentially gargantuan deal which would send Todd Helton to the Red Sox. ESPN has mentionned Mike Lowell, Reliever Julian Tavarez, and pitching prospects Craig Hansen and Manny Delcarmen as people that the Rockies would be interested in receiving in return (not necessarily people the BoSox would be willing to part with), while on the other side, ESPN is talking about the Rockies paying roughly $40 million of the remaining $90 million left on Helton's 6 year contract.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Helton is steroids

Please.

I remember the hell some reporter caught for mentioning something like that, and Helton was all over him. He's always been the same size and a great hitter.

If you're the Red Sox, why wouldn't you do this deal? Granted Helton's SLG% has been dipping, but he still get on base a ton and would be in a much better line up with Lugo, Youk, Manny, Ortiz, and JD Drew. For the two pitching prospects they're giving up, I imagine they'll find at least two similar to those two during the duration of Helton's contract.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 27, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
The Red Sox are fierce without Helton. With him, I'd have to pencil them in for first right now in the East, although I'm still weary about that bullpen.

At some point the law of diminishing returns takes over. You can only add so much in the way of offense and have it turn into wins. The Yankees, to my eyes, have shown that the last 5 years or so. They keep adding run producer after run producer, yet it just doesn't translate to more wins.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 01:02 AM)
Yes, but the key difference is that the Sox have a great rotation, too, and have been adding pitching as well as hitting while the Yankees have failed to do the former.

The Red Sox' rotation has potential to be great, but at this point in time I don't think you can call it great. Papelbon has never thrown more than 130 innings in his pro career; Schilling and Wakefield both will be 40 to start the year, and while that doesn't mean they're done, both will (most likely) start to slip a little bit. Dice-K will most likely be above average, but just how good will he be?

I think they're the favorites in the AL to start the season, though. Their lineup is amazing and they're fairly deep, too, with Wily Mo stepping in if (when?) JD Drew gets injured. The only downsides I see are Varitek potentially falling off a cliff and Pedroia's lack of power (perhaps?) hurting him in the bigs. There's some other things (bullpen, a couple aging players and potential injury problems), but I'd rate them the top team in the AL to start the year.