SoxFest Thread

Chisoxfn

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(salty99 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Well at least that explains it. It was great to see the fan reaction when he walked in. By the way, I was just quoting Scott Merkin's article when I said he wouldn't be there.

I was just hoping they would have had more players in the seminars like Crede, AJ, and Buehrle instead of the same ones every day. But I guess they thought since most people had day passes they might only have 1 chance to see them. That being said I did enjoy almost all the seminars I went to and felt like I got to enjoy more aspects of Soxfest this year then in the past.

Yea, I know. You told me that.

I was pleased all around this year. The fact that i could sit in on everything I wanted to and walk around comfortable was a huge step up from last year.

QUOTE(salty99 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
I wasn't 100% it was you and I had to leave for the day right after that. Next time.

Only say hi when you have at least 45 minutes to spare. :P

Bla, bla, bla, bla....

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
Yea, I know. You told me that.

I was pleased all around this year. The fact that i could sit in on everything I wanted to and walk around comfortable was a huge step up from last year.

Only say hi when you have at least 45 minutes to spare. :P

Bla, bla, bla, bla....

Sounds like the Sox did a first class job this year. Good to hear and even though last years was a cluster-**** there are still a lot of cool things you get to see/experience at Soxfest that you wouldn't be able to anywhere else.

Great to hear they got it right after last year's embarassment.

Question: do you think it was simply that they're on the ball again, or that all the bandwagon jumpers fell off after '06, LOL?

Or both?

I remember when they f'd up that Fan Appreciation Day thing at the Cell and I wrote them a letter explaining how I thought they shafted people and they actually CALLED me, which I thought was classy. I think they do listen to us, which is nice.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)

Question: do you think it was simply that they're on the ball again, or that all the bandwagon jumpers fell off after '06, LOL?

Or both?

Actually, there was a lot of confusion as to what was going on and where.

Garage sale, things last year that were $10, now were $20.

My impression was that the place was TOO SMALL to host a SOX CONVENTION. Too much walking up and down stairs (thats because the bank of elevators wasnt adequate to shuttle this many people around)

People got tired of waiting and started using the Stairwells, which were clearly not meant to be used.

I still think it was pretty crowded, only because the space they were using was just not adequate.

The overall mood of the fest was very subdued, ala 1998. I didnt like that. I dont miss the crowds from last year, but to tell you the truth, that was to be expected. The SOX just didnt staff last year correctly ..... Some lines gave out wristbands for autograph lines, others didnt. Some people told me they had no idea Konerko wristbands were given out hours before ............

I know that this year was going to be a trial-run for this .......... but I do hope they get More Space, and sell more tickets, there were lots of people I know that wanted to go, but couldnt get tickets.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
there were lots of people I know that wanted to go, but couldnt get tickets.

To speak on this matter it might have been nice if you at least tried to get a ticket yourself rather than relying on others and could speak first hand. Not one person we know that called TM the morning they went on sale didn't get tickets. Calling 3 hours later and then b****ing because you didn't get any to too damn bad. I even commented on how it would likely sell out as fast as the hotel rooms.

Brooks came over and wasn't there 12 seconds and you were b****ing at him. For what they had to work with and the time to prepare, ONE year versus THIRTEEN at the Hyatt, things were pretty damn good.

As for the elevators.. they were for folks who were going back and forth to their rooms and not fest guests who were not staying there. Too bad many assholes ignored the poor security kids and were too lazy to walk 15 feet to the escalators which were working just fine, but walked 30 feet past them to the fire escapes to have something to complain about...

And in all honesty the mood was just fine when you weren't around and after you passed out.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)

Or both?

They were on the ball in regards to ticket sales. I don't know what the numbers were, but we waited for nothing, enough seating in the seminars, the vendor area was smaller and I did hear they complained a bit, but from what I could see they were still selling their butts off. One huge plus was that you did not have to attend the opening ceremony if you didn't want to. Remember if you were at the tail end of the line you still had to pass through the snakes? Not this year. That was a big help for those that didn't get there in time and just wanted to get in lines for wristbands or get in on the Oz seminar. I'm happy they are there and hope they extend their contract past the next 2 years.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
Not this year. That was a big help for those that didn't get there in time and just wanted to get in lines for wristbands or get in on the Oz seminar. I'm happy they are there and hope they extend their contract past the next 2 years.

My overall experience was pretty positive this time. The lines were manageable, and there were plenty of guest relations people around helping out with how to get from point A to point B. The sox are also trying to make this better and better every year. They had some guest relations people going around with PDA's doing surveys of how this soxfest compared to others and things you liked and didnt like trying to get feedback. The stairs were not that bad. Brooks and the sox are trying to make an effort of trying to improve on the sox experience year in and year out. My favorite touch was the Pride Crew asking the trivia questions. As always I picked up something from the vendor area that was pretty original. I picked up a 18 wheeler Sox championship truck for Brendan, and a cool picture that had the park at 1917 with the old sox logo, and it was split with the parade with the 2005.

I think they did a great job, and would say that it should stay at the Palmer house. It was better than the crazy people event of last year.

I thought Soxfest was really great, it was my first time, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. The only thing I found a little disappointing is the autograph situation. My brother and I got to Palmer House at 9:10 Saturday, 50 minutes before the scheduled start time of Soxfest. We really wanted to get the chance to meet Konerko and get his autograph, but I guess we got there 30 minutes too late as they had already given out all of the wristbands. I just wish I would have known that for autograph purposes, Soxfest started well before the scheduled time of 10AM. We were a little bummed out to start the day, but ended up having a great time nonetheless. Next year we will stay in the hotel though because it seems as though the people in the hotel were the ones able to get in line for autographs at 8:30 in the morning.

Edited by soxpride77

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
I thought Soxfest was really great, it was my first time, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. The only thing I found a little disappointing is the autograph situation. My brother and I got to Palmer House at 9:10 Saturday, 50 minutes before the scheduled start time of Soxfest. We really wanted to get the chance to meet Konerko and get his autograph, but I guess we got there 30 minutes too late as they had already given out all of the wristbands. I just wish I would have known that for autograph purposes, Soxfest started well before the scheduled time of 10AM. We were a little bummed out to start the day, but ended up having a great time nonetheless. Next year we will stay in the hotel though because it seems as though the people in the hotel were the ones able to get in line for autographs at 8:30 in the morning.

The # of autographs was questioned several times. With the cut down in people I specifically asked why not leave the # of auto's given out the same. Didn't get a real good answer on that, but was told that it's something they will consider increasing next year. One thing though, hotel guests didn't get special treatment. It just depended on how many folks were in line before you, and I can tell you that when we got back to the hotel at 2am there was a line with at least 100 folks in it. Definitely consider staying there next year if autographs are important to you.

It also didn't help that by the 2nd and 3rd days people were taking the wristbands off and then getting 2 or 3 at a time taking away spots from others. The rationale was that they paid X amount of dollars and they deserved as many autographs as they darn well pleased.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
To speak on this matter it might have been nice if you at least tried to get a ticket yourself rather than relying on others and could speak first hand. Not one person we know that called TM the morning they went on sale didn't get tickets. Calling 3 hours later and then b****ing because you didn't get any to too damn bad. I even commented on how it would likely sell out as fast as the hotel rooms.

Brooks came over and wasn't there 12 seconds and you were b****ing at him. For what they had to work with and the time to prepare, ONE year versus THIRTEEN at the Hyatt, things were pretty damn good.

Hmmmm, you seem to forget that when he point blank asked me what I thought, I told him there was too much confusion, "but thats probably the fact that were in a new place-just the growing pains". Im the one that said that. He agreed. Everything was good natured ....... I wasnt going to lie and say it was the Best SoxFest ever, and I loved how they there were 4 separate floors for the sessions, etc. Again, everything was good natured.

How I got my ticket is insignificant. I know plenty of people that wanted to go but couldnt get tickets and thats who I was speaking for ......

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jan 30, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
I know plenty of people that wanted to go but couldnt get tickets and thats who I was speaking for ......

I know a lot of people where it wasn't so much a matter of getting tickets, it was a matter of paying twice the amount of what was paid last year.

I don't know who sets the prices the Sox or the hotel but it seems to me that if they wouldn't have cut the attendance in half, they wouldn't have needed to double the prices. I might have be able to do a 10 or 20 percent increase. Maybe even 50, but not 100...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
The # of autographs was questioned several times. With the cut down in people I specifically asked why not leave the # of auto's given out the same. Didn't get a real good answer on that, but was told that it's something they will consider increasing next year. One thing though, hotel guests didn't get special treatment. It just depended on how many folks were in line before you, and I can tell you that when we got back to the hotel at 2am there was a line with at least 100 folks in it. Definitely consider staying there next year if autographs are important to you.

To be honest, I really didn't care about the autograph, just the chance to meet some of the players face to face. I still got to meet Ozzie and Robin, so it wasn't a complete loss. I guess maybe the hotel or whatever security they had there could have made sure that people weren't lining up at 2 in the morning, that's a bit ridiculous. Like I said, I still had a great time, there are just some things that could have been handled a little better, but for the first time at a new location, it was done very well.