Contracts, PR, and who to believe

Texsox

Quote from Kenny regarding a meeting with a player's parents. (The player really doesn't matter)

"I explained to them that I have no interest in making who I consider a quality, quality person, I don't have any interest in tarnishing what he has done for the organization or turning him into something to protect the organization. Sometimes, the venom that goes back and forth [on contract negotiations] gets out. I don't think that's right, because [the fans' perception] of the players can be distorted.

Hmmmm. Could it be read into it that in some cases they do turn a player into something to protect the organization? His next line leads me to believe he understands he can distort the fans opinion of a player for the team's good.

It seems that almost every top player that leaves the team does so while taking shots back and forth with current club management.

I think we all know that a lot of things happen during contract negotiations, and if fans heard all of them there would be an up roar. All he's saying is that he doesn't want those things to come out.

Also, remember what happen when Frank Thomas left? He doesn't want that to happen again.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
I think we all know that a lot of things happen during contract negotiations, and if fans heard all of them there would be an up roar. All he's saying is that he doesn't want those things to come out.

Also, remember what happen when Frank Thomas left? He doesn't want that to happen again.

In my lifetime we can go back to Fisk. When was the last time a player left and it was the club's fault? The player is always greedy, injured, club house cancer, etc.

I guess I'm missing the point. The way I see it, there's a PR aspect to losing popular players, and it seems this is the way the White Sox deal with it. I guess it's our jobs to see through it.

All KW is saying is that he should not be doing that, and he's right. All he did yesterday was apologize. Whether he follows through remains to be seen.

BTW, I haven't really heard him say anything about ex-players this off season except that he believes the guys they are getting are better than what he gave up, which is what he should be saying.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
BTW, I haven't really heard him say anything about ex-players this off season except that he believes the guys they are getting are better than what he gave up, which is what he should be saying.

It's different this offseason because no franchise players have left via free agency. Let's see how Williams handles Buehlre departing, then Crede etc. in the upcoming seasons.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
In my lifetime we can go back to Fisk. When was the last time a player left and it was the club's fault? The player is always greedy, injured, club house cancer, etc.

Ask any Sox fan why Robin Ventura left. Also ask them about the White Flag trade.

Also if you stop and think about your question for a second... If the Sox are letting a player leave, there is probably a reason behind it. Why would they keep players who are aft-injured, clubhouse cancers, greedy, etc? That doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
Ask any Sox fan why Robin Ventura left. Also ask them about the White Flag trade.

Also if you stop and think about your question for a second... If the Sox are letting a player leave, there is probably a reason behind it. Why would they keep players who are aft-injured, clubhouse cancers, greedy, etc? That doesn't make any sense.

I did forget Aaron Rowand who was turned into a demi-god when he left by the Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
I did forget Aaron Rowand who was turned into a demi-god when he left by the Sox.

That was a trade. He didn't leave on his own grounds.

Trades are completely different from free agency.

The last I can think of that left in good fashion based on his own will was Harold Baines.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)

It seems that as soon as a guy leaves, especially for money reasons, the next thing we hear are comments trashing the guy. I can't believe that every player that leaves is a terrible guy. I think the team smears some guys unfairly.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
It seems that as soon as a guy leaves, especially for money reasons, the next thing we hear are comments trashing the guy. I can't believe that every player that leaves is a terrible guy. I think the team smears some guys unfairly.

They are justified in some too. I look at Magglio Ordonez, right away. Questionable character, though not necessarily bad character. To go behind the team's eyes and wishes and have a risky surgery shows a desire to continue playing, but it is also extremely dishonest. To then fire his agent and hire Boras is a direct message to the organization suggesting they pay up or wave bye. They let him go, and for good reason.

Frank Thomas was smeared unfairly, and I imagine Joe Crede will be too. Crede will likely just want to cash in, and I don't blame him a bit for that, and the organization won't resign him because it'd be way too risky, regardless of price.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jan 28, 2007 -> 08:19 AM)
I think this is making something out of nothing.

I can say this for sure .......... after discussing this very topic ............

The media is a bit responsible for making things a bit worse than they might really be ..........

HOWEVER, I made sure to point out ........... that the SOX have needed to be a bit more forthcoming not only to the Media, but to the Fans as well. SOX fans wont tolerate being treated as if we dont know whats going on, and unfortuneately only few in the Media here are aware of this fact. Let us come to our conclusions and let the chips fall where they may. This person agreed.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
I can say this for sure .......... after discussing this very topic ............

The media is a bit responsible for making things a bit worse than they might really be ..........

HOWEVER, I made sure to point out ........... that the SOX have needed to be a bit more forthcoming not only to the Media, but to the Fans as well. SOX fans wont tolerate being treated as if we dont know whats going on, and unfortuneately only few in the Media here are aware of this fact. Let us come to our conclusions and let the chips fall where they may. This person agreed.

H, you were sitting right next to me when it was confirmed that this was not a media creation from the horses father's mouth.

The Sox need to keep their mouths shut about s*** that doesn't concern the fans. Financial negotiations are none of our business until they result in the player staying or going.

This Sox fan wont tolerate personal s*** being printed in the paper and then the GM needing to apologize for anything. This is the FOURTH year I have commented about Kenny's mouth. He seemed to get the message from yesterday's meeting. I say he forgets before spring training though...

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)

I don't blame the media for this at all - they simply reported what Williams has said about Buerhle's free agent status next season. Kenny can try and downplay what he said, blame the media for overhyping it, but he said what he said.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)
I don't blame the media for this at all - they simply reported what Williams has said about Buerhle's free agent status next season. Kenny can try and downplay what he said, blame the media for overhyping it, but he said what he said.

/end of thread.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 09:04 AM)

After this weekend, I can clearly see how there is 3 sides to a story ......

KW might be a bit frustrated at discussions with Buehrle on a new contract, but at the same time

he has to keep on keeping on, thats his job. I do see that if thinks its going nowhere, lets go ahead and prepare for the post-Buehrle era.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)
H, you were sitting right next to me when it was confirmed that this was not a media creation from the horses father's mouth.

The Sox need to keep their mouths shut about s*** that doesn't concern the fans. Financial negotiations are none of our business until they result in the player staying or going.

This Sox fan wont tolerate personal s*** being printed in the paper and then the GM needing to apologize for anything. This is the FOURTH year I have commented about Kenny's mouth. He seemed to get the message from yesterday's meeting. I say he forgets before spring training though...

The White Sox probably should be more discreet about contract talks, but I don't recall actual numbers being thrown around in the media, just Williams suggesting that this will be Buerhle's last season with the Sox because of the current market.

I appreciate that Williams is so outspoken - it obviously puts him in bad situations though from time to time when he is asked repeatedly about those words.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 09:07 AM)
After this weekend, I can clearly see how there is 3 sides to a story ......

KW might be a bit frustrated at discussions with Buehrle on a new contract, but at the same time

he has to keep on keeping on, thats his job. I do see that if thinks its going nowhere, lets go ahead and prepare for the post-Buehrle era.

I think that's what Williams has been doing all off-season (preparing for the future) by acquiring so many high-end pitching prospects since it appears fairly certain that Buerhle will be gone after this season.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
The White Sox probably should be more discreet about contract talks, but I don't recall actual numbers being thrown around in the media, just Williams suggesting that this will be Buerhle's last season with the Sox because of the current market.

I appreciate that Williams is so outspoken - it obviously puts him in bad situations though from time to time when he is asked repeatedly about those words.

I think that's what Williams has been doing all off-season (preparing for the future) by acquiring so many high-end pitching prospects since it appears fairly certain that Buerhle will be gone after this season.

Those in attendance were treated to some speculated $ amounts.

That's nice you appreciate it. Apparently the players don't. I think that speaks for itself.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 09:03 AM)

Yes. But if you remember, I also said that if it gets leaked out, it always looks worse because the media can paint it anyway they like ........

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
Yes. But if you remember, I also said that if it gets leaked out, it always looks worse because the media can paint it anyway they like ........

Correct. So if Kenny just keeps his mouth shut the media has nothing to stir, right? It's their job. How can you fault them for doing their job?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
Correct. So if Kenny just keeps his mouth shut the media has nothing to stir, right? It's their job. How can you fault them for doing their job?

Exactly. Both sides need to keep quiet and everybody wins.

This is why KW needs to be less candid with everyone except his team.

How Tribune Manufactured Buehrle Controversy

This is very well written by Jeff McMahon. I'm firmly believe that half of the media are scrub fans and the other half are told it is more profitable to feed on the angst of Sox fans. I'm very encouraged to hear that KW plans to change the way he does business because of the mediots. No I'm not scrubsessed. I'm just sick of hearing negative crap about my beloved White Sox, when much of it seems to have an agenda.