Some more to gripe about..

Steff

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
You make a good argument that the White Sox can justify, for baseball reasons, why we should let Dye, Crede, and Iguchi leave via free agency, but I also think you have a pre-2005 White Sox mentality when we didn't have record crowds, and all these new revenue sources. There's no way we can afford to sign all of our players in this market, and you have to have younger players make their ways into the majors, but I also think it's crazy for Williams to potentially not sign any of our free agents because of the market. The market is what it is, and all teams are playing by it so I'm hoping that Williams/Sox coaches can develop our young talent, and allow us to supplement them with our top veteran players.

I did say Iguchi must be signed.

However, at some point you have to separate homerism and sensibility and make the right decision, and in the case of both Dye and Crede, it's just not smart to keep them long-term - though Dye is easily a better and smarter choice than Crede.

Iguchi is almost a necessity to keep though, and, from a PR standpoint, Buehrle is too (and if they can't resign Buehrle, they'll antagonize him. It sucks, but true).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)

However, at some point you have to separate homerism and sensibility and make the right decision, and in the case of both Dye and Crede, it's just not smart to keep them long-term - though Dye is easily a better and smarter choice than Crede.

Iguchi is almost a necessity to keep though, and, from a PR standpoint, Buehrle is too (and if they can't resign Buehrle, they'll antagonize him. It sucks, but true).

I saw your salary numbers and I think Crede gets way more than 5 years 55 million. Also, I see the Sox resigning 2 of the 3 "stars" of this team. They're not going to leave Thome with nothing.

I feel better now that I ONLY paid $16 p/ game for Parking Passes. However, I'm still stuck with green passes AGAIN because the red pass holders are supposedly 'grandfathered' in. That really pissed me off because we have to park in the right field corner, but have to walk every game to the left field corner to our season tickets. Think they could make an exception for a group with 4 season tickets? Nope...horrible ticket reps. Although, at least my new rep returns phone calls unlike the one I had last season.

Rant Over :P

Go Sox!

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 11:22 AM)
I feel better now that I ONLY paid $16 p/ game for Parking Passes. However, I'm still stuck with green passes AGAIN because the red pass holders are supposedly 'grandfathered' in. That really pissed me off because we have to park in the right field corner, but have to walk every game to the left field corner to our season tickets. Think they could make an exception for a group with 4 season tickets? Nope...horrible ticket reps. Although, at least my new rep returns phone calls unlike the one I had last season.

Rant Over :P

Go Sox!

The left field corner has only one parking lot - the players/managers lot. I don't think you're ever going to get parking passes for that area.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)

There is no way the Sox are going to re-sign MB. Pitchers his age are getting 5-7 year deals. The Sox won't do that and I don't blame them. This is why they stockpiled young near ready arms. The FA market will come back down again when the owners realize long term pitcher contracts don't work ala Hampton, Brown. It all cyclical.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
The left field corner has only one parking lot - the players/managers lot. I don't think you're ever going to get parking passes for that area.

Who the f*** do you think you are exactly?

I'm quite aware of the location of the parking lots at the Cell. In fact I could diagram the damn lots for you if you want. The main lot, Lot B would be MUCH more convenient than Lots F or L that I'm stuck in now. I'm not asking to park in the players lot..I'm not an idiot, but thanks for your concern.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Who the f*** do you think you are exactly?

I'm quite aware of the location of the parking lots at the Cell. In fact I could diagram the damn lots for you if you want. The main lot, Lot B would be MUCH more convenient than Lots F or L that I'm stuck in now. I'm not asking to park in the players lot..I'm not an idiot, but thanks for your concern.

Two words...chill.

pretty sure hes a mod to answer your question.

quite the temper from people these days.

anyways i dont mind paying the extra couple bucks. the parking though is getting ridiculous. it seems to me if you want to get a cheap baseball experience you have to go see the brewers. i went up there with my family last season. paid $6 for parking (which was amazing) and got scapled lower bowl tickets for BELOW face value (even more amazing).

anddddddddd i got a overbay bobble head :) but he got traded..

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 9, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
:notworthy

Last year was a disappointment, it wasn't "crap-tacular." BIIIIIG difference.

No, last year sucked, period. First half was okay, second half was dismal. And uninspired.

I didn't say I was quitting the team; I'm just calling it like it was.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 06:58 AM)
I saw your salary numbers and I think Crede gets way more than 5 years 55 million. Also, I see the Sox resigning 2 of the 3 "stars" of this team. They're not going to leave Thome with nothing.

It's entirely possible that Crede may get more. I just used 5/$55 to present a safe estimate and to prove how ridiculous it would be to resign Crede. He's good, but he's not $11 mill a year good, let alone $13-15.

I'm also just not sure how smart it is to resign some of the stars. Dye may be somewhat realistic, but it depends entirely upon how much he is seeking. If it's in the $14-16 range over 3-4 years, it's probably doable. If anything more or anything longer, and it's just not smart to resign him.

It's also worth noting that Miguel Cabrera is going to be a free agent in 2008-ish. The Sox will have a ton of contracts coming off the books. JR has been known to throw loads of money at hitters....

...just sayin

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
It's also worth noting that Miguel Cabrera is going to be a free agent in 2008-ish. The Sox will have a ton of contracts coming off the books. JR has been known to throw loads of money at hitters....

...just sayin

Last monster free agent signing....

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
We'd still need a 3B in that scenario.

Well Fields should be around at that point and Thome will likely be gone opening up the DH spot for a likely bloated Cabrera. Of course I don't know where this would leave Konerko since he likely won't even be able to walk in '09.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
Well Fields should be around at that point and Thome will likely be gone opening up the DH spot for a likely bloated Cabrera. Of course I don't know where this would leave Konerko since he likely won't even be able to walk in '09.

I was refferring to Fields as well. ;)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
It's also worth noting that Miguel Cabrera is going to be a free agent in 2008-ish. The Sox will have a ton of ontracts coming off the books. JR has been known to throw loads of money at hitters.......just sayin

Which would be convenient for the Yankees if Rodriguez decides to opt out of his current contract.

What I feel is, IF Crede/Buehrle/Dye all depart within the next two seasons, we'll reasonably need to acquire atleast one superstar calibur player. Especially if payroll figures remain high and the team is still competitive. As just as his reaosns may be, Williams can't let all three leave within a short time frame without finding viable replacements. Fields, Sweeney, Danks won't be enough.

We all assume Anderson will remain, but what if his 2007 is terrible and no obvious improvements have been made? That would be yet another position to fill.

These are goals I'd like Williams to meet these upcoming seasons:

-Trade one/two of Garland, Vazquez, Contreras before their contracts expire. If none of our pitching prospects are able to replace departing starters, that should be about that for a large group of our minor league staff. Kick their asses out the door.

-Trade Crede after next season. Either fill via FA, trade, or Fields

-Let Dye walk unless he's willing to except a reasonable deal, which I don't think he will, and I can't blame him. Sign a FA for either LF or RF, with Sweeney occupying the remaining position.

-Resign Iguchi

-Resist signing scrub players to "push" Anderson. Give him full playing time in 2007, so we know without question if he's terrible or not.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
I can't even begin to believe that the White Sox will sign Cabrera or even make a serious run at him. Not at all.

It's not impossible to believe they'd atleast make a serious run. If we're seriously competitive this year and next -- hopefully with atleast one playoff birth -- our payroll should remain above 100 million. With our bullpen cheap, potential rotation cheap, and several options in Fields/Sweeney/Anderson, there should be reason not to. Cabrera would be a fricken superstar in this town. Atleast he would be on the Southside of Chicago.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 12:39 AM)
It's not impossible to believe they'd atleast make a serious run. If we're seriously competitive this year and next -- hopefully with atleast one playoff birth -- our payroll should remain above 100 million. With our bullpen cheap, potential rotation cheap, and several options in Fields/Sweeney/Anderson, there should be reason not to. Cabrera would be a fricken superstar in this town. Atleast he would be on the Southside of Chicago.

He'd also weigh around 300 pounds by the 3rd year of his deal, the guy is already getting big just imagine what the Chicago food would do to him. He'd need a Carlos Lee type weight clause in his contract.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 12:46 AM)
Carlos has a weight clause?

As a part of his new contract with the Astros, if he reaches a certain weight within the first few years of the deal, Houston has the right to void the contract. Makes sense considering just how big he got after being traded to the Brewers.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
Two words...chill.

I only see one word

On to the topic at hand...its a pipe dream to think the White Sox would offer Miguel Cabrera anything close to the contract he will recieve from one of the other big market teams..like another poster above said, last big signing was in 1997, and we all know how that one turned out.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 03:26 AM)
I only see one word

On to the topic at hand...its a pipe dream to think the White Sox would offer Miguel Cabrera anything close to the contract he will recieve from one of the other big market teams..like another poster above said, last big signing was in 1997, and we all know how that one turned out.

When was the last time the White Sox had money to spend in free agency? The last time I recall, it was 2004-2005, and the Sox signed Hermanson, Dye, Iguchi, Duque, and Pierzynski - and that's just off the top of my head. If the rest of the team is essentially filled, why in the hell would you not put all that money towards one superstar player?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 03:32 AM)
When was the last time the White Sox had money to spend in free agency? The last time I recall, it was 2004-2005, and the Sox signed Hermanson, Dye, Iguchi, Duque, and Pierzynski - and that's just off the top of my head. If the rest of the team is essentially filled, why in the hell would you not put all that money towards one superstar player?

Normal owners would, and do as they have shown. The Sox brass, as I noted above and you made a fine example as well with the signing of FIVE players at bargains in their own right, have not done it since Belle (which turned out just fine as for his personal achievements, G) and I don't see them doing it again. If this season doesn't work, look for something young and cheap in the years to come. It will be at least 2 years of "rebuilding".

QUOTE(Steff @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 06:43 AM)
Normal owners would, and do as they have shown. The Sox brass, as I noted above and you made a fine example as well with the signing of FIVE players at bargains in their own right, have not done it since Belle (which turned out just fine as for his personal achievements, G) and I don't see them doing it again. If this season doesn't work, look for something young and cheap in the years to come. It will be at least 2 years of "rebuilding".

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :crying

It makes sense though.

And I would assume JR would want some type of outclause, which would mean he has to give Cabrera some type of outclase, and sooooo it would probably work just as Belle's did.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 11, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :crying

It makes sense though.

And I would assume JR would want some type of outclause, which would mean he has to give Cabrera some type of outclase, and sooooo it would probably work just as Belle's did.

Rumor has it the Yankees are building a ballpark that will open in 2009. They might have a passing interest in Cabrerra and Santanna, after signing Zambrano next year.