WTF WCIU??

needauribe

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
WCIU is absolute garbage. I can distinctly remember 5 games last year where the audio was messed up and I had to take out the radio and listen to the silence that was Chris and Farmer.

HA. happens on Comcast Sportsnet too.

WCIU blows which is strange because all it is is a WGN broadcast on a sister station. WCIU is WGN's sister station to carry local broadcasting when the company is showing Superstation feeds, meaning national broadcasts. So here in Chicago WGN is the superstation feed and WCIU gets the local feed, the baseball games. So its strange how bad WCIU is. And the other joke is that there is no WCIU-HD for Comcast cable subscribers what is that all about. I have been complaining about that for a while. How is that WCIU, only available in Chicago, isn't avaible on the largest Chicago cable HD lineup. Thats so dumb.....and I remember watching WCIU HD on Directv last year at bar and the official sponger of WCIU-HD was freaking COMCAST. The whole thing just doesnt make any sense.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 12:21 PM)
I can't recall a game on CSN where there was a constant hum drowning out the announcers.

I can't recall a game where it wasn't humming :huh

Is there a listing of what games will be on the U? TIA.

QUOTE(needauribe @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Someone on here, toward the end of the 06 season, said Selig was rearranging tv schedules so we wouldnt have to deal with the WCIU BS in 07. Maybe he was too busy selling out to directv. 25 games now??? PISSED. :crying

Wait, so do you base the 25 games off of what someone said last season on Soxtalk, or is this information included in a recent article?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
Wait, so do you base the 25 games off of what someone said last season on Soxtalk, or is this information included in a recent article?

Get the facts BEFORE making an educated guess.. :unsure:

C'mon Flash, you know better than that. :lolhitting

Another thing I hate about tne "U"! How many games went on last year, where MANY times the first pitch wouldn't be seen out of the commercial break. HEY People at the "U"!!!! You want to get your advertisements in???? Fine!! But GET YOUR FRIGGIN' COMMERCIALS OFF OF OUR "GAME ON" TIME!..................WILL YOU PLEASE?????? Also....no pre-game or post-game show either!!

The description of the station on a continuous basis is....

Working

Crappy

Insidiously

Unanimously

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
Big Uribe fan eh?

Well ... I sort of adopted him at the beginning of '05 because I've always liked his unique ways of running, throwing, fielding, etc. but I'm starting to get a little fed up with his unique gut and haymaker whiff swing.

QUOTE(shoota @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 06:04 PM)
Does anyone know the technical audio/visual reasons why WCIU broadcasts are of poorer quality than CSN and WGN?

I might have some insight. I checked out the FCC for explanations on WCIU's transmitter and location and then compared that to Fox-32(WFLD). From I found WCIU's analog and digital transmitters are on the sears tower. The analog transmitter is rated at 5000 KW and the Digital at 160 KW. For WFLD they have a 5000KW analog and a 200KW digital. The interesting data is the polar field plot from each transmitter. This plot shows the relative strength of the signal in all directions on a compass rose and shows are far they will reach in any given direction. What I took from this is that for WCIU there directional signal is strangely oriented, at least compared to the others like FOX and NBC.

For the analog transmitter WCIU the signal is very far reaching between 30 and 290 degrees on the compass and weak in the others. Thats NE to about WNW from the sears tower would be prime areas of strength, leaving the area NW and N of Chicago relatively in poor coverage. For the digital transmitter the strength is in the directions of SE and NW, with decent coverage to the SW and poor coverage to the N and NE.

When compared to fox and nbc they seem to have their transmitters oriented for Chicago, meaning plenty of coverage to the south, north, and west, Little to E and NE, (the lake). Seems better.My interpretation is that If local cable companies pick up our local channels for their system over the air from the stations Transmitter on the Sears tower then we can explain why some areas are worse than others. Again I dont know how cable companies get their Local tv feed. But if thats the case then I could see why someone in Grayslake with Comcast vs me in Homewood with comcast would get two different clarities of WCIU. Which would be really stupid.

Here are the links to the transmitter info from the FCC. To see the compass rose plots click on the "Relative Field Polar Plot" links for the digital and analog.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WCIU-TV

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WFLD

Edited by joeynach