Chief Illiniwek.....HE GONE!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't believe so. In fact, I think some even expressed their opinion in keeping the chief.

Wrong.

The closest decendants of the Illini are the Peoria Tribe.

In April 2000, the tribal council, with Chief Froman's support, passed by the margin of 3 to 2 a resolution requesting "the leadership of the University of Illinois to recognize the demeaning nature of the characterization of Chief Illiniwek, and cease use of this mascots [sic]". [9] Froman stated "I don't know what the origination was, or what the reason was for the university to create Chief Illiniwek. I don't think it was to honor us, because, hell, they ran our (butts) out of Illinois." [10] This puts Chief Illiniwek in a position different from that of the mascots of other schools such as Florida State University, whose Native American mascots are not opposed by the leadership of the corresponding tribes. In 2005, a new Chief, John P. Froman, when asked his position by the NCAA, indicated that "the Chief was not representative of our tribe and culture, mainly because the costume is Sioux" [11] In 2006, in response to a widely published column by journalist George Will in support of the mascot's use, he wrote a letter reiterating the Peoria Tribe's opposition to the mascot and decrying that the "University of Illinois has ignored the tribe’s request for nearly five years." [12]

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
There's virtually no opposition at FSU for it. No controversy.

With all the controversy and so many people against it at illinois, might as well just let it go. Sounds like it had to be done.

The FSU controversy had to do with the seminole tribes of Oklahoma objecting to the mascot actually. The seminole tribe of Florida had been paid off long, long ago to go along with it, and after FSU paid off the Oklahoma tribe, they shut up too. Unfortunately, there aren't very many living members of anything that resembles the Illini tribe left, so that option isn't available to Illinois.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:06 PM)
The FSU controversy had to do with the seminole tribes of Oklahoma objecting to the mascot actually. The seminole tribe of Florida had been paid off long, long ago to go along with it, and after FSU paid off the Oklahoma tribe, they shut up too. Unfortunately, there aren't very many living members of anything that resembles the Illini tribe left, so that option isn't available to Illinois.

How so? The Peoria Tribe of Oklahoma is the last remaining descendants of the Illini. They were also one of the main voices of opposition of the chief. They couldnt be paid off in your opinion? What makes the Seminole tribe so much easier to pay off than the descendants of the illini?

One way to investigate this is to look at why the Peoria tribe actually dislikes the Chief, and why the Seminole tribes do not feel that way about FSU.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
Wrong.

The closest decendants of the Illini are the Peoria Tribe.

I believe the Peoria has about-faced on this topic in recent years.

The Peoria Tribe of Indians of Oklahoma are the closest living descendants of the Illiniwek Confederacy, having been relocated to Oklahoma in the 19th century. The position of the tribal leadership has evolved over the years. In a television interview with WICD-TV in 1995, Don Giles, then Chief of the Peoria Tribe, said, "To say that we are anything but proud to have these portrayals would be completely wrong. We are proud. We're proud that the University of Illinois, the flagship university of the state, a seat of learning, is drawing on that background of our having been there. And what more honor could they pay us?" Supporting Chief Giles was another tribal elder, Ron Froman, who stated that the protesters "don't speak for all Native Americans, and certainly not us." [8]

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
I believe the Peoria has about-faced on this topic in recent years.

Yes in 1995 they had one position then they changed it. So their position for the last 7 years has been against the mascot. Their repeated requests to the university were ignored, which is why we are at where we are now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
How so? The Peoria Tribe of Oklahoma is the last remaining descendants of the Illini. They were also one of the main voices of opposition of the chief. They couldnt be paid off in your opinion? What makes the Seminole tribe so much easier to pay off than the descendants of the illini?

One way to investigate this is to look at why the Peoria tribe actually dislikes the Chief, and why the Seminole tribes do not feel that way about FSU.

I have no clue, I just know that is why FSU got to keep their mascot. Maybe they offered more money than Illinois, lol.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
I have no clue, I just know that is why FSU got to keep their mascot. Maybe they offered more money than Illinois, lol.

Its not about money, because they both have the ability to "bribe" if needed.

FSU has integrated their efforts to keep the name Seminoles with the local tribes, and have given them equal say to changes and the removal of anything that may seem racist or wrong. In addition they have worked with the tribe to assure that the symbols pay tribute to the tribe and the reputation of the nation. In addition the outfit and items used by their "mascot" are authentic Seminole garb and is hand made in several occassions by members of the tribe. Here is some more on the subject and how they have worked together for years.

http://www.fsu.com/media/2005/08/30/Semino...0Traditions.pdf

Chief Illiniwek didnt even wear an outfit that was worn by that tribe, infact he is wearing a Sioux outfit, and doing a dance choreographed by the Boy Scouts. Also the tribe has been largely ignored by the University in its efforts to change certain things about the Chief especially in recent years. There is a history of conflict, especially in the present in this issue, whic FSU has had a history of compliance and partnership.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
Maybe on the last day of his appearance they can have the Chief standing centerfield, have a white man walk up to him and hand him a blanket. He can then die from Small Pox and be carried off the field. Or would that be too authentic for the mascot???

I think the two students should be shipped off to the University of Oklahoma.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)
You would think the opposers of the chief would maybe try and increase native american population on this campus and ya know, actually do something productive.

The dance wasn't racist.

If FSU can do it, we should be able to do it, period.

White people have no right to determine what is racist to group of people and what isn't. I didn't have strong feelings either way, but I think it is time for the chief to go. The Chief being a long lasting tradition is not a good enough reason to keep it around.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)
White people have no right to determine what is racist to group of people and what isn't. I didn't have strong feelings either way, but I think it is time for the chief to go. The Chief being a long lasting tradition is not a good enough reason to keep it around.

Well, I don't think it's fair to say "White People". I think anybody not of the race being possibly descriminated against doesn't have a right.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 12:52 AM)
I hate to quote a moron like Stuart Scott, but his line "sound and fury signifying nothing" describes what was the long debate about the chief.

I'm sorry but I have to ask -- you realize you're actually quoting Shakespeare, right? Scott might have quoted it, but it's from Macbeth.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
yes!

A close second would be Youppi! After all Youppi! is orange, can do all sorts of halftime activities and not be condemned by Muppet-Americans.

Youppi! for some. Miniature American flags for others!

And yes, the Chief was pretty much a blackface routine of Native culture. Hip hop hooray and good riddance. Now can the UIUC worry about things like the GEO grad union, mid-size lectures back, LAS buildings not being up to fire code, the Coke contract since Coke uses death squads in Colombia to bust unions, etc...You know, things that actually matter rather than some moronic mascot at the halftime of a game. Who cares what it is as long as it isn't the "Submittin' Pansies!" Besides, the Democrats already have intellectual copyrights for that name.

This is almost as bad as the end of Unofficial. Sorry gang, but a special day does not make getting drunk at 8 am okay. It's just an excuse the kids had to be raging drunks and I did nothing but laugh as some kids likened the end of Unofficial to the civil rights movement of the 1950s.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)
A Now can the UIUC worry about things like the GEO grad union, mid-size lectures back, LAS buildings not being up to fire code, the Coke contract since Coke uses death squads in Colombia to bust unions, etc...

The School of Music needs some major improvements made to its faculty. Yeah, the Chief controversy has really distracted from some very important issues that needed dealing with.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
This is almost as bad as the end of Unofficial. Sorry gang, but a special day does not make getting drunk at 8 am okay. It's just an excuse the kids had to be raging drunks and I did nothing but laugh as some kids likened the end of Unofficial to the civil rights movement of the 1950s.

Unofficial didn't really go anywhere and probably never will. People will still celebrate it, whether the university 'recognizes' it or not. The problem comes when people decide to ride motorcycles, etc. while drunk. It's certainly not civil rights movement worthy, agreed, but it's college, and kids are going to have some fun. If you don't like it, no one forces you to participate. Sometimes I think you try to paint U of I as the only school that has retards that like to drink. We all could do without the insane number of stupid frats, sure, but it's college.

BTW, the Chief was never a mascot.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
Unofficial didn't really go anywhere and probably never will. People will still celebrate it, whether the university 'recognizes' it or not. The problem comes when people decide to ride motorcycles, etc. while drunk. It's certainly not civil rights movement worthy, agreed, but it's college, and kids are going to have some fun. If you don't like it, no one forces you to participate. Sometimes I think you try to paint U of I as the only school that has retards that like to drink. We all could do without the insane number of stupid frats, sure, but it's college.

BTW, the Chief was never a mascot.

There's nothing wrong with drinking cuz I sure did my fair share of it...but I never felt the need to come up with a contrived excuse if I wanted to get blasted. I just figured "Hey, it's X day of the week, I feel like tying one on." and just accepting my choice instead of trying to find a socially acceptable reason to justify the choice I was likely going to make anyway so it did not reflect too badly on moi. f*** an excuse to go drink. If they want to go get blitzed at 8 am, go for it but don't make an excuse of a fake holiday in which it suddenly becomes "ok" to do so. It's feeble-minded and it is bulls***.

And anything that dances at halftime of sports games outside the cheerleaders is a mascot.

I'm just glad the UIUC can get to dealing with important s*** now.

www.uiuc.edu/ro/lincoln