Sox Lockup Vazquez to Contract Ext.

Hideaway Lights

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Without even knowing the terms of the deal?

I love it if it's three more years for a few bags of peanuts

It's likely 3 years averaging out to around $11M a year. I trust Williams when he does re-sign players to make solid deals, he's earned that.

sub .500 2006 record?

s***ty 2006 ERA?

inconsistencies galore?

proven headcase?

mediocre overall performance in the AL?

I don't need to see anything else!

Just hand him a blank check!

Whoo-hooo!

You guys might be right about Vazquez being better this year.

But this is a VERY high-risk move to do this NOW, that is for sure.

If he bombs this year, or gets injured, and we are stuck paying this contract, this will be worse than Navarro.

Can I really be saying that?

Funny that you mention injuries as one of the risks of a long term deal when they guy has never been injured before. By that logic any deal given to any player ever is a huge risk because of injury, so why even mention it?

As for his record and ERA, take a look at his other stats from last season and just the raw stuff that he has. He's the type of guy who could pay off in a major way if you keep him around and since he's always healthy, has great stuff and solid peripherals you could always move him a year or 2 from now, someone will always be willing to take a chance on him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
Funny that you mention injuries as one of the risks of a long term deal when they guy has never been injured before. By that logic any deal given to any player ever is a huge risk because of injury, so why even mention it?

As for his record and ERA, take a look at his other stats from last season and just the raw stuff that he has. He's the type of guy who could pay off in a major way if you keep him around and since he's always healthy, has great stuff and solid peripherals you could always move him a year or 2 from now.

Fair enough, but I mentioned the injury more as an aside, not as a huge part of the risk.

The huge part of the risk is that the guy has great peripherals but has not gotten the job f***ing done for an entire season in the AL, and that he's coming off of a season with a ton of ups and downs.

Again, why are we doing this NOW?!?!?!? This is the loose-aggressive gambler aspect of Kenny that I just cannot fathom at times.

I like it. Its prolly going to be around 10mil a year, which with his stuff and the many people who will like him no matter what (metsGM,etc) there will be avenues to get rid of him.

However I'm expecting some good things from javy this year, I just think he's going to be more comfortable this year. I think he's just got something to prove at this point in his career(6th inning stuff, record, etc) and we might as well try to get him below market value at this point while he's not to old and as I said, there will always be people to trade for javy if the contract is around 10 or 11, which I believe kenny will make it.

I"m just not a javy hater and think the 6th inning thing was "kind of" fluky last year since later in the year it didn't seem to be that much of a problem, and the fact that some games the offense wasn't getting it done for him (early in the year).. i know i made some excuses for him, but i think he deserves more respect untill i see him do the same crap this year.

I'm still more mad at the one year contract extension we gave to prancer.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Fair enough, but I mentioned the injury more as an aside, not as a huge part of the risk.

The huge part of the risk is that the guy has great peripherals but has not gotten the job f***ing done for an entire season in the AL, and that he's coming off of a season with a ton of ups and downs.

Again, why are we doing this NOW?!?!?!? This is the loose-aggressive gambler aspect of Kenny that I just cannot fathom at times.

He hasn't gotten the job done in his 2 years in the AL, he hasn't spent 2 consecutive years with the same team since '02-'03 let alone the same league. Give him back to back season in the same league with the same team and he'll flourish, this is mine and KW's thinking obviously. Of course if you wait until the end of the season to give him an extension and he does kick ass this year it's going to cost you insane money to keep him around. This way you sign him to a potential bargain price in hopes that a second year with the team will do him some good. He could anchor this staff for years to come if they could just get him in a comfort zone. And IMO like I said before I really don't think a 3 year deal worth around $35M guaranteed is that much of a risk.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
He hasn't gotten the job done in his 2 years in the AL, he hasn't spent 2 consecutive years with the same team since '02-'03 let alone the same league. Give him back to back season in the same league with the same team and he'll flourish, this is mine and KW's thinking obviously. Of course if you wait until the end of the season to give him an extension and he does kick ass this year it's going to cost you insane money to keep him around. This way you sign him to a potential bargain price in hopes that a second year with the team will do him some good. He could anchor this staff for years to come if they could just get him in a comfort zone. And IMO like I said before I really don't think a 3 year deal worth around $35M guaranteed is that much of a risk.

Has the $35 m number actually been reported anywhere? That'd be more than I'd be wanting to offer him at this point personally.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)

If we got him for $24-27 million, I could live with that. $35 million for a guy who may never perform in the AL is not only potentially disasterous, but then we are locked into "sticking with this guy" because we gave him all this money which could cost us big-time down the road. If he puts up a slightly better 2007 to his 2006 year (say a wildly inconsistent 4.70 ERA, 12-11 record), his apologists will be saying "just give him ONE MORE YEAR"....GAH!!! Could you imagine that?

Guy has a losing record, a below average ERA, a proven headcase, and by all accounts had a pretty bad year, and we are considering giving him 10 mil a year through 2010. What a world we live in.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)

I'm going to completely disagree with you on this. I think it's the complete wrong time to extend his contract. He has done nothing so far for us and yes I know his secondary numbers were solid last year and we all know what kind of stuff he has, but until he can equate that to actual performance(not letting runners score) then he's doing nothing for us. We're giving him an extension entirely based on potential instead of actual performance. I don't like this.

QUOTE(whitesox07champs @ Mar 6, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Everyone who agrees with this move apperently has a short term memory. This guy is garbage and should get 5th starter money, anything more is a waist of money.

So like 44 million over 4 years? Thats 5th starter money these days.