Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 08:42 AM)
I'm going to see the Police and Elvis Costello in concert on May 16th. You young pups might not be too excited, bt there have been very few shows in the last 10 years or so I've been this excited about.

:snr

Oh, man I'd love to see Costello perform. I'm not a huge Police fan, but Costello I could definately dig.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
Oh, man I'd love to see Costello perform. I'm not a huge Police fan, but Costello I could definately dig.

I saw him play two shows for the Blood and Chocolate tour many years ago, and they were two of the best shows I ever saw. Back-to-back on consecutive nights, the shows had completely different band lineups and set lists. On of the shows was the Blood and Chocolate album in its entirety. The other show was an Attractions show where they had all the songs on a wheel that audience members would spin to determine what song they'd do next. If the same song came up twice, they'd do it again in a different style. Great shoes.

I love Elvis.

Edit to add: Dang, I'm getting senile. It wasn't Blood and Chocolate, it was the Spike tour.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 06:48 AM)

I love Elvis Costello, but he was also one of the worst shows I've ever had the misfortune to attend.

He played a show at the Arie Crown, no band - just him and Steve Nieve.

It was the most boring show I've ever seen - I literally fell asleep, as did my wife. When I woke up, I woke her up and we walked out.

50 bucks a pop, too - I was not a happy Critic that night.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 1, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
Columbia College of Chicago students are getting free tickets to see Ok Go in Grant Park on May 16.

Lucky bastards.

Can't help it that our student board knows how to book an end of the school year celebration. :headbang

Alter Bridge concert @ House of Blues tomorrow night!!

I don't know if any of you are fans of them but I'm pretty pumped.

I'd also recommend a band called Cinder Road, they have a old rock/new rock feel to them, they are different but have some pretty good songs.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 1, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
I love Elvis Costello, but he was also one of the worst shows I've ever had the misfortune to attend.

He played a show at the Arie Crown, no band - just him and Steve Nieve.

It was the most boring show I've ever seen - I literally fell asleep, as did my wife. When I woke up, I woke her up and we walked out.

50 bucks a pop, too - I was not a happy Critic that night.

I really like when well-known acts do the occasional stripped down shows, but I know it's not everybody's cup of meat. I probably would have liked that show.

And I'd probably have snatched your wallet while you were sleeping. :)

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 1, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
Can't help it that our student board knows how to book an end of the school year celebration. :headbang

Do alumni get to go?

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 3, 2008 -> 11:31 PM)
Do alumni get to go?

http://cms.colum.edu/manifest/2008/04/ok_g...ctions_seni.php

-I am not a current student/faculty/staff- how do I get a ticket?

The Manifest website will update on May 15th to let the general public and our community know if there are any tickets left. If there are, they will be distributed on May 16th somewhere on campus- the location will be announced on the website May 15th

I popped in Nine Inch Nails "Year Zero" this weekend. I never gave it a proper listen the first time around because I was really into something else at the time and figured I would come back to it eventually. To see Trent Reznor go from "I hate god" to "I hate life" and now to "I hate the government", its amazing to me that he can keep the anger tone in his music and still keep his music relevant. The song "Capital G" is f***ing awesome, i cant stop listening to it, it is quite a shot at George Bush.

Im really excited about the rumored internet album that is supposed to be released in the next few weeks. Ghosts I-IV was really good, lots of ambient music and great background(read: videogame) music, but I heard the new release "Discipline" last week, and I am really stoked to hear a new non-instrumental album from NIN.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
Greatest voice in the history of Rock: Brad Delp.

A very solid nomination indeed. Tragic that he decided to cash in.

I'd say the other contenders for that title would be:

Paul Rogers

Steve Perry

Not that Bad Company, Journey, or even Boston rank up there in my list of favorite bands, but these guys are, I'd say, the vocalists' vocalist in Rock.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
My vote would go to Ronnie James Dio and/or Phil Lynott.

Big Thin Lizzy fan here, and I agree, Phil was up there as well. Dio makes my brain bleed. I have a low threshold tolerance for metal, admittedly, but I'd say Rob Halford is a better pick as the goldstandard metal vocalist than Dio.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 5, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Did you see that Boston hired some guy from Home Depot to be their lead singer?

Say what? Somebody in the know on this site (Critic maybe?) said the new vocalist was the lead singer from Stryper and that he sounded like a train wreck trying to do Boston stuff.

Edit: Eh, the guy you are talking about must be this "superfan" Tommy DeCarlo guy I'm seeing on the web. Wow, listening to his {Peace of Mind cover now and it's pretty dang good.

Stryper dude can go home now.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

Maybe it was the fact that Michael Sweet sounded like absolute s*** singing the Boston songs that led them to look for someone else.

I had read somewhere that Scholz hired someone to just kind of loom in the background and help sing just the high notes, but that may well have been online bulls***.

This DeCarlo guy sounds pretty good, but it just doesn't sound as good without Delp. I won't see them on this tour.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 5, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
I had read somewhere that Scholz hired someone to just kind of loom in the background and help sing just the high notes, but that may well have been online bulls***.

If you're doing that, you might as well hire a woman.

Listening to Momofuku, the new Elvis Costello release, and really digging it. Lots of great latter-day melodic Costello, but also some great stuff that would have sounded right at home on an Attractions album. The organ parts on American gangster Time in particular sound like they could have come off of This Year's Model.

It's an album that is going to take several listenings to really digest, but I quite like it so far.