Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
That's just it. I don't know who does the version that is always played when a big sports event is occuring in Chicago. I ran across a version by John Belushi that was pretty damn good, but I don't think it's "the" one. Also versions by Clapton and Foghat. I'm just trying to pin down the definitive version.

I believe its the Buddy Guy version that's been played after wins at the Cell.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Nov 15, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
EGADS my good man!!! That "hired bassist" is really the only credibility this joke of a band has! He's also the only guy tagging along for the duration it seems, and he seems to be the main guy Axl has any respect for as he has been allowed to record a solo album during all this time, and do numerous side projects. That's Tommy Stinson from The Replacements.

In all fairness, I did say that I didnt know the names of the other two guys, I didnt say "I dont know who Tommy Stinson is" ;)

The only reason I know buckethead is because the guy makes his name playing with a bucket on his head, and I only know Robin Finck because I am a huge NIN fan.

So there :P

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Nov 16, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Oh yeah, without a doubt! BUT I am such a Tommy nut that I have actually thought about buying that damn album just to support Tommy, and I hate GnR.

Are you sitting down? I think The Replacements are one of the most over rated bands ever. I'm not saying they suck, I think they're all right, but they sound really, really outdated nowadays.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:18 AM)
Are you sitting down? I think The Replacements are one of the most over rated bands ever. I'm not saying they suck, I think they're all right, but they sound really, really outdated nowadays.

I don't agree, at least not through Pleased To Meet Me. I listen to a lot of their stuff to this day, and it still holds up well to my ears.

Of course I'm biased because the Replacements have a near and dear place in my heart.

I loved the Mats, and they put on one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen. They were kind of sloppy live, but I've rarely had more fun at a concert.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
I don't agree, at least not through Pleased To Meet Me. I listen to a lot of their stuff to this day, and it still holds up well to my ears.

Of course I'm biased because the Replacements have a near and dear place in my heart.

I loved the Mats, and they put on one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen. They were kind of sloppy live, but I've rarely had more fun at a concert.

See THAT"S exactly it. They built a rep on being a drunk, sloppy mess on stage. I think that had a lot to do with their popularity. Not to say that their fans don't enjoy their music, but there's some weird fascination that people have about watching musicians drinking themselves to death.

...and why the hell are they called the Mats?

QUOTE (The Critic @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)

I'm a more casual fan, but I like their a lot of their stuff and i also think it holds up well. And great live shows too, if a bit rough around the edges.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
See THAT"S exactly it. They built a rep on being a drunk, sloppy mess on stage. I think that had a lot to do with their popularity. Not to say that their fans don't enjoy their music, but there's some weird fascination that people have about watching musicians drinking themselves to death.

For me, the fact that they had such longevity as a club band when most of their contemporaries ascended to play larger venues and stadiums only to disappear from map soon after was always refreshing and endearing. I think if NRBQ the same way, and they are a group I'm a much more devoted fan of. Maybe the drunkenness/sloppiness of Westerberg or Terry Adams et al. kept both bands from really hitting the big time I'm not sure. But the bands remained really accessible for fans which is not often the case.

my random thoughts on it at any rate.

DustinkensrueTHISGOODNIGHT.jpg

Gonna download this bad boy when I get home from work...

Should be quality. For those who don't know, Dustin is the lead singer of Thrice, and he started doing a folk/folk rock solo thing and released an amazing album last year. And this is just a album of covers Christmas songs, and a couple original X-mas tunes.

If you've ever heard his cover of "Happy X-mas" (War is Over) you should like this....

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)

I can only speak for myself, and I didn't enjoy ther drunkenness per se. I did enjoy the loose vibe it helped to create onstage. I think they would have been largely the same without the drink, but who's to say for sure?

I certainly didn't enjoy Bob Stinson's drinking leading to his being kicked out of the band, and eventually leading to his death.

What I liked was the unpredictable nature of their shows and the much more aggressive playing as compared to their recordings. If they tried to play a cover and they ("they" meaning Paul, of course) didn't like the way it was turning out, they'd just stop and ditch the song. Stuff like that makes a show more interesting to me than a slick, produced, choreographed show.

I'm much more likely to enjoy a chaotic, spontaneous show - that's rock and roll to me.

What I liked was the unpredictable nature of their shows and the much more aggressive playing as compared to their recordings. If they tried to play a cover and they ("they" meaning Paul, of course) didn't like the way it was turning out, they'd just stop and ditch the song. Stuff like that makes a show more interesting to me than a slick, produced, choreographed show.

I'm much more likely to enjoy a chaotic, spontaneous show - that's rock and roll to me.

It was the booze dude. :P

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)

It was the booze dude. :P

You're fixating on the cause, I'm diggin' the effect.

:D

IMO The Replacements are without a doubt the greatest band this country has ever turned out. Yeah, I said that and I stand by it. The attitude, the energy, the brilliant hooks, Westerbergs voice, the incredible lyrics, nobody else had what they did. While my favorite stuff was through Pleased To Meet Me (such an incredible energy and power on that album), I do like Don't Tell A Soul quite a bit. One of the few "sell-outs" that actually resulted in quality material, though unlike the material the band has staked its reputation on.

But after that Westerberg fell apart and has only partially pulled it together again in recent years.

Tommy proved to be a great writer on his own, and more like what The Mats were.

Chris Mars solo albums were the most amazing surprise though, and it is a shame he has given it up.

The Replacements were the closest thing this country will ever see to Faces, IMO.

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 07:01 PM)
IMO The Replacements are without a doubt the greatest band this country has ever turned out. Yeah, I said that and I stand by it. The attitude, the energy, the brilliant hooks, Westerbergs voice, the incredible lyrics, nobody else had what they did. While my favorite stuff was through Pleased To Meet Me (such an incredible energy and power on that album), I do like Don't Tell A Soul quite a bit. One of the few "sell-outs" that actually resulted in quality material, though unlike the material the band has staked its reputation on.

But after that Westerberg fell apart and has only partially pulled it together again in recent years.

Tommy proved to be a great writer on his own, and more like what The Mats were.

Chris Mars solo albums were the most amazing surprise though, and it is a shame he has given it up.

The Replacements were the closest thing this country will ever see to Faces, IMO.

Every Replacement fan I know feels the same way. It's a hell of a claim.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 07:07 PM)
Every Replacement fan I know feels the same way. It's a hell of a claim.

Yeah, but it's just a personal feeling for me and if you were to tell me that Jefferson Airplane or Nirvana was better, then I wouldn't argue with you really. They just happen to encompass everything I think a great RnR band needs to have. I understand why some might not love them as much as some do. What I don't get are the people who don't like then at all. :)

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:08 PM)
The Replacements made indie music possible. Nirvana ripped off the Pixies and gave us a sea of Creeds and Nickelbacks.

Definitely a *tad* overgeneralized...."a sea of Creeds and Nickelbacks" is more than a bit harsh.

I mean, any popular music will automatically lend itself to good and bad bands alike -- by the same token, didn't the Replacements thus give us "a sea of" bad indie bands?

QUOTE (farmteam @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
-- by the same token, didn't the Replacements thus give us "a sea of" bad indie bands?

No. Blame their main competition REM for that one.

Off Let It Be there is no denying the simple intensity of "Answering Machine". Incredible guitar playing that sounds simple and a vocal that just burns.